Spyderco fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Spyderco fixed blade?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hey guys!

Pondering a Spyderco fixed blade... not sure which one to go with.

For reference, my most used blade is the Military, great EDC, good size, and just feels good in the hand... and the leaf shape blade is very handy.

So I guess I'm looking for something akin to that, but in a fixed blade. A little bigger is fine of course, up to 5.4" lol.

Serrata looks good, good blade shape, my only issue is no hand guard to speak of.

I keep coming back to the Temperance 2. I like the leaf shaped blade and good hand guard. Reviews overall seem to be great for it, with the exception of common concern about the VG-10 steel choice given the price point. Would have preferred a non-leather sheath so as to not retain moisture (ala the Jumpmaster)

I also keep coming back to the Bradley Bowie - looks like a very nice and well designed knife, and good hand guard too. Tho I tend to prefer a leaf shaped blade.

Was (and still am) also pondering the Jumpmaster after Surfingringo's glowing review of it as a very bada$$ SE cutter... tho not thrilled with the sheepsfoot blade. Would like to see that knife configuration with a different tip. Leaf shape ideally like the Military, tho not sure how that would work on the Jumpmaster.

( my second most used blade is the Tasman Salt. I like to also have a SE blade and have found the Tasman Salt to be quite handy. getting ready to write up a long term use review on it. )

Suggestions?
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Surfingringo

Re: Spyderco fixed blade?

Post by Surfingringo »

If you like the Millie, I find the Southfork or Bradley Bowie a closer approximation of the blade shape than the Temperance. The SF is 3mm stock and the other 2 are 4mm. If you want a pure cutter, the Southfork is hard to beat. It is the best all around fixed blade I own. If you want something a bit thicker that is maybe more suited to heavier use then look at the Bradley or the Temperance.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfgringo is a guy that actually uses his knives on a daily basis so, his recommendation is worth considering.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd wait for a sprig. I like the blade shape better than the SF. Bradley Bowie is no slouch either, but maybe a bit larger.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

tvenuto wrote:I'd wait for a sprig. I like the blade shape better than the SF. Bradley Bowie is no slouch either, but maybe a bit larger.
This.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd vote Southfork or wait for the sprig also. I really like my Southfork as a general utility knife and it does well in the kitchen too.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

DansGunBlog wrote:Hey guys!
Serrata looks good, good blade shape, my only issue is no hand guard to speak of.
That's really a non-issue. The contured handle is plenty grippy, the edge side of the blade swells out a bit from the handle, and the very end of the edge isn't sharpened. It doesn't really need a choil or guard or the like. It very quickly became one of my favorite fixed blade knives from any company.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Southfork is a good option if you want to cut food. Good length and the blade stock and grind is thin enough, while still being stout. Very much like a Military with longer upswept blade. I would not use it for something like wood splitting though. Its a slicer, not a hard use ESEE 5.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Surfingringo wrote:... If you want a pure cutter, the Southfork is hard to beat. It is the best all around fixed blade I own.
****, that's some mighty high praise right there... funny I completely overlooked the Southfork, even in the catalog I paged right over it every time.
Surfingringo wrote:... If you want something a bit thicker that is maybe more suited to heavier use then look at the Bradley or the Temperance.
Ugh, keep looking at the Bradley Bowie, just very appealing lines and design for some reason.

Sigh...

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

Each of our fixed blades is different and has been offered to provide a variety of solutions to the fixed blade question. We felt this was the best way to begin to gain market share in the fixed blade market. Each has been designed by an experienced user and maker and we used the best steels for each.

I would suggest that you decide what your needs are and go from there. If you are planning to use them for review, then select the criteria for the "testing" and go from there.

I would add that the "Sprig" is coming soon.

sal
arty

Post by arty »

Any updates on when the Sprig might appear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I'd vote Southfork or wait for the sprig also. I really like my Southfork as a general utility knife and it does well in the kitchen too.
I would ditto what VASH just said and I would also add two considerations>> first it appears like you would want it for an EDC (every day carry) type of blade >> so in that respect one of the first recommendations I have would be the STREETBEAT model. My late best friend used his STREETBEAT as an EDC and he loved it even better than any of his premium folders>> it was even on his ankle when we found him deceased. He used that STREETBEAT for virtually everything.

My second recommendation if you are lucky enough to find one is an original TEMPERANCE 1 model. I have two of the originals that I use almost daily and that was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades you could get in plain edge and Spyderedge both. So if you stumble across one take a serious look at it>> I've found that TEMP 1 to be so versatile that I just can't separate myself from it.

But again VASH's recommendations are great and I've heard that the SPRIG model is going to be a Super addition to Spyderco's great line up. Keep us posted and let us know which one you finally decide on.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The temperance 1 is a great knife too and easy to clean because of the molded on FRN handle. I use it in the kitchen because of that. No residue gets in the handles so nothing to rust if you dry it. I get weary of washing scaled knives but i didn't mention this one because they aren't easy to find anymore. Although i did see one for sale recently on the JD forums.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:The temperance 1 is a great knife too and easy to clean because of the molded on FRN handle. I use it in the kitchen because of that. No residue gets in the handles so nothing to rust if you dry it. I get weary of washing scaled knives but i didn't mention this one because they aren't easy to find anymore. Although i did see one for sale recently on the JD forums.
I would just love to see Spyderco do a SPRINT Run of the original TEMPERANCE 1 model in either H-1 or one of the more popular supersteels. I just know in my gut that when people would use the TEMP 1 that many of them would fall in love with it just like I did. And the fact that they made them in PE & SE both was great as I still use both my plain edged and Spyderedged TEMP 1 models on a very regular basis.

Not only was it one of Spyderco's best "IN HOUSE" designs it was also a User's dream like VASH indicated because of the easy to clean FRN handle>> they could still do the Sprint Run with the original FRN handle>> it would be a very affordable outdoor type knife as well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hey Dan, do you own a mule? They are terrific and if you like the looks of the Temperance then you should like the mule. There are a couple steels available still I believe. You can get some custom scales or just pick up some from Halpern.

Grab a Swick to pair up with it. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

arty wrote:Any updates on when the Sprig might appear?
I've been asking the same question. Anybody have information when we might see this? Thanks
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Hey Dan, do you own a mule? They are terrific and if you like the looks of the Temperance then you should like the mule. There are a couple steels available still I believe. You can get some custom scales or just pick up some from Halpern.

Grab a Swick to pair up with it. :D

Well, well...looks like somebody is winning at the coolest Spyderco duo contest :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I would second the idea of a Mule for a great, general purpose fixed blade. Food prep in the kitchen, outdoors for most uses & very handy in size. It isn't the biggest, thickest, strongest, toughest, pry-bar, screwdriver or multi-tool, whatever knife in the woods, but it's a great design & they're available from time to time made new from Spyderco. Just a great shape & the many types of steels used as sprint run blades are wonderful & interesting. Also available as a "used" knife when they get dull & people don't like to sharpen them. I really like the blade shape & comfort, simply a great design.

Here's a used one I found cheap which was stained & dull. Made a set of handles, cleaned it up & sharpened it. Presto! A new knife in Superblue! The previous owner wasn't too careful with it (stains, pitting, dinged edge & really dull) but it's a good user blade & it does everything I need it to. Love the Superblue steel, really nice knife for general use stays sharp & keeps cutting a while.

brj

Post by brj »

A couple of years back, I asked myself the same, which Spyderco FB is best mirroring the features I like in a Millie - and Temperance II was the answer I came up with at the time. From the leaf blade & the way the distal taper seems to flow, to the contoured handle, that is a pure user wanting to see action, same as the Millie. VG-10 is also a pretty good choice, while far from being called a super steel these days, it's also far from a sub-optimal choice (think touching-up in the field).

I like my Mules as well, but after carrying a Millie for so long they do seem a bit small-ish :)