Lil Lum...Lil Lum...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Lil Lum...Lil Lum...

Post by araneae »

bjz wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:08 pm
araneae wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:34 pm
I have since nabbed a blue Nishijin 2nd and it is very nice as a dress knife. I still like the D'fly better as a user.
Can you speak a bit about why you prefer the DF? I have a couple dragonfly’s that don’t see pocket time (one lives in a dish on the counter and the other is slated for my ski pack). Something about all the traction and jimping are just too much for me for an actual user. I prefer the lil native as well as chaparral. Having something the general size of the lil native, with no jimping, but basically as thin as the chap seems appealing to me!
I actually prefer the jimping and used to add it myself to the Dragonfly 1. The traction, shape and size mean I am not going to slip while I am cutting. I often use my Hawkbill at work in wet, muddy conditions and have never had an issue. To me, the D'fly offers multiple grip options (choil, no choil, reverse, pinch through the Spydie hole, sideways with thumb in the hole), disappears in the pocket until needed and way out performs its size. It also comes in a lot of flavors so most people can find one that fits.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bjz

Post by bjz »

araneae wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:59 am
bjz wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:08 pm
araneae wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:34 pm
I have since nabbed a blue Nishijin 2nd and it is very nice as a dress knife. I still like the D'fly better as a user.
Can you speak a bit about why you prefer the DF? I have a couple dragonfly’s that don’t see pocket time (one lives in a dish on the counter and the other is slated for my ski pack). Something about all the traction and jimping are just too much for me for an actual user. I prefer the lil native as well as chaparral. Having something the general size of the lil native, with no jimping, but basically as thin as the chap seems appealing to me!
I actually prefer the jimping and used to add it myself to the Dragonfly 1. The traction, shape and size mean I am not going to slip while I am cutting. I often use my Hawkbill at work in wet, muddy conditions and have never had an issue. To me, the D'fly offers multiple grip options (choil, no choil, reverse, pinch through the Spydie hole, sideways with thumb in the hole), disappears in the pocket until needed and way out performs its size. It also comes in a lot of flavors so most people can find one that fits.
Thanks for the perspective!!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I had a Blue Nishijin Sprint Run in my collection.
First i loved the design but after some times of office EDC carry i didn't like the ergonomics.
Especially because there is no "barrier" between the blade and the handle.
So I sold it and another Spydernut ist happy.

ASF
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

bjz wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:28 pm
Resurrecting a not-so-talked-about model…is there any reason why I WOULDN’T consider picking a lil lum up??

I like the lil native and chap…have something of a love/hate thing with DF2. I think I’d like the lack of jimping! All that belly though…not so sure about THAT.
It has teflon washers, for one thing. That's a turn off for some people. I've also handled two lil lums that both had vertical play, so might be some geometry issues there, or I had bad luck. Beyond that it's a great little shape.