Lil Lum...Lil Lum...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rodloos

Re: Lil Lum...Lil Lum...

Post by rodloos »

I like my other Lum's enough that I went ahead and ordered this one. GP Knives was out, but New Graham and Cutlery Shoppe had them available. I don't have all of the Lum's, but have the small and large Chinese folders, Lum Tanto, and both burgundy and green fixed blade Lum's.

I went ahead and ordered a backup HAP40 Ladybug along with it, was surprised to see them still around.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Gp has em
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

High Ground wrote:Lucked up on one this morning. Love it. Discovered it while the employee was unpacking the shipping box. Purchased the Lil Lum before it hit the shelf.
Pics or it didn't happen! Am I pushing my luck if I ask for some other knives thrown in for a size comparison as well? Lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
High Ground wrote:Lucked up on one this morning. Love it. Discovered it while the employee was unpacking the shipping box. Purchased the Lil Lum before it hit the shelf.
Pics or it didn't happen! Am I pushing my luck if I ask for some other knives thrown in for a size comparison as well? Lol.
Pics plz!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
High Ground

Post by High Ground »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
I will try to figure out how to post pics tomorrow.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mine shipped today. I chose slow shipping, so we'll see how long it takes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Mine was in the mailbox when I got home today. The box it comes in is the same size as the box my HAP40 Ladybug came in (same shipment). So it is quite small. Here's a poor cell phone pic of it next to my small and large Lums, and a Dragonfly.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice! Thank you Rodloos. That is exactly the size I was hoping for. :) Thank you for the comparison picture also.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the pic rodloos.
Spydergirl88
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Picked one up today myself. Really love the blade profile, nothing new there. Problem is after being spoiled with designs like the Dodo, Meerkat and Lava, I have a harder time using handles where my pinky floats off the back end. I'll fix that with a lanyard and it'll be the 1st knife in a long while to dethrone my Hap40 D'Fly, I think. For a bit. Until the DT's kick in..
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

That's a great looking spatula. :D But seriously the blade seems to have more belly than the other lums and combined with the shorter blade, it's more chubby than the Chubby. For record I have the Nishijin Lum and I'm fond of it.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

ABX2011 wrote:That's a great looking spatula. :D But seriously the blade seems to have more belly than the other lums and combined with the shorter blade, it's more chubby than the Chubby. For record I have the Nishijin Lum and I'm fond of it.
A comparison pic next to a chubby would be very interesting. It is a bit smaller blade than I had imagined.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Got mine today. I was surprised at how small it is. I thought it was going to be a little smaller than the normal Lum, but yeah, it's about Dragonfly sized when closed, but you get more edge than the Dragonfly when opened. They make very good use of the space.

I should have used some windex to get some of the dust off of a couple of these knives! >.<

Lil Lum is the smallest of the bunch.

Side by side with a Chaparral, I think they are both 2mm thick Blades.

It has thick spacers, the handle is "normal" width. My spacers are not the same size on both sides.

The tip comes a good distance from the end of the handle when closed.

It has a pretty good edge length in the bunch.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Some in hand.

I can put the butt against the inside of my pinky.

You can hike up to almost give you a 4 finger hammer grip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for posting those pics Donut
Spydergirl88
Donut

Post by Donut »

You're very welcome.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hmm, wanted one initially. Not sure it can compete with a D'fly for my pocket at the price they are asking, at around $100 I'd be more tempted to try it. Curious why it's nearly $40 more than a G-10 D'fly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bjz

Post by bjz »

Resurrecting a not-so-talked-about model…is there any reason why I WOULDN’T consider picking a lil lum up??

I like the lil native and chap…have something of a love/hate thing with DF2. I think I’d like the lack of jimping! All that belly though…not so sure about THAT.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have since nabbed a blue Nishijin 2nd and it is very nice as a dress knife. I still like the D'fly better as a user.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bjz

Post by bjz »

araneae wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:34 pm
I have since nabbed a blue Nishijin 2nd and it is very nice as a dress knife. I still like the D'fly better as a user.
Can you speak a bit about why you prefer the DF? I have a couple dragonfly’s that don’t see pocket time (one lives in a dish on the counter and the other is slated for my ski pack). Something about all the traction and jimping are just too much for me for an actual user. I prefer the lil native as well as chaparral. Having something the general size of the lil native, with no jimping, but basically as thin as the chap seems appealing to me!