Best folder for skinning whitetail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hebert3279

Best folder for skinning whitetail

Post by hebert3279 »

I know i'll hear the best knife is a fixed blade, but i'm looking for a folder for skinning some texas whitetail and having for all purpose use. I will not be cutting ribcage with it, just skinning the deer and cutting backstrap and tenderloin out and quartering up (i have saw for cutting bone).

What is the best spyderco knife you recommend under $125?
Skidoosh

Re: Best folder for skinning whitetail

Post by Skidoosh »

The Stretch was designed originally as a hunter and in VG-10 would be a great knife for that purpose. For ease of cleaning I would think a delica or endura would fit the bill nicely.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I've always thought a stretch would work well. I've thought a lot about this exact situation. Honestly I think a PM2 would be amazing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Strictly for skinning, I always thought the Dialex Junior had a great blade shape, but may be a bit short in length for anything else.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I don't know about Texas whitetail but I know the Stretch works great for Wisconsin whitetail. :D

In all seriousness, if you are only going to use it for soft tissue and be able to clean it soon after, the vg-10 or zdp-189 stretches should work.

But if you can use 2 knives, and they have to be folders, I would use the stretch for skinning and an endura for butchering.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

An Impala if you could find one.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I have gutted and skinned my fair share of whitetail. I think almost any one with the traditional spyderco blade shape will work great. I plan on using my para 2 this fall. My concern would be ease of cleanup and sanitation. 1 must come apart. 2 Must be easy to clean in the field. 3 good grip when it is bloody. 4 is optional but bright color is nice. I like a folder for local hunting or when not backpacking in. Here in Illinois when it gets cold And you have heavy coats clothing and a harness a fixed blade can be uncomfortable or harder to access. I can clip a folder anywhere or in a coat pocket. I don't need much then because I do the butchering at home or have bigger knives back at the cabin or trailer. When elk hunting or packing in for long stays in back country I carry a fixed blade hawk or saw and a folder. Really I don't need the hawk but I like it, feels all last of the mohicans. I have a feeling the para will do well on big game as well as small.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:An Impala if you could find one.
Oh how I wish they would do a SPRINT run of the IMPALA model. Even if they didn't do the guthook the second time around.
The IMPALA was designed to be a hunting folder.

But I have one great suggestion of a Spyderco folder that I have used for exactly that very job and I'm speaking of the C-60 Ayoob model. The blade on that model has the perfect amount of belly for consistent cutting angle>> and it also has a very thick spined, streamlined blade with a well defined point which also is handy for skinning jobs.

One last model I could recommend that a very good hunting buddy of mine used which is the older CHINNOOK III model. I particularly liked that latest CHINNOOK model of the CHINNOOK III because it had a full, flat grind. The Chinnook model also had an ideal belly for that type of cutting job. But I am holding out hope that they will eventually do a SPRINT run of the IMPALa model.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Millie worked fine for me and continues to serve my Dad
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dragonfly2 worked just fine for me last fall.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd say go with a FFG Endura or perhaps a Stretch.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Personally, I'd opt for a fixed blade for those tasks. However, if someone absolutely had to use a Spyderco folder to process a deer, I'd suggest haunting eBay for a plain edged FRN C16 Goddard Lightweight. I''m a fan of full flat ground blades, so my first choice among them would be the olive green Sprint Run version...
...but either the original black version or the grey Sprint Run version would also work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Personally, I'd opt for a fixed blade for those tasks. However, if someone absolutely had to use a Spyderco folder to process a deer, I'd suggest haunting eBay for a plain edged FRN C16 Goddard Lightweight. I''m a fan of full flat ground blades, so my first choice among them would be the olive green Sprint Run version...
Hey that's a great recommendation DEAC ;) I almost forgot about the GODDARD model even though I've owned a few of them over the years. Although I personally have never used one for skinning a deer or any animal. Now that you bring that one up I heard from a long time pal the other day that the C-16 Goddard in full Spyderedge is rare and very collectible>> can you confirm that one way or the other?

Another thing that GODDARD model has going for it is that it has a really nice lengthy blade and I think that the later models were made with VG-10 if my memory serves me well. It's probably been about 9 years since I owned one. But again the C-60 Ayoob also has the length and the ideal bend at the belly which you see in most blades specifically designed for skinning. Also the CHINNOOK model has a lot of ridgidity which I find ideal for a hunting folder.

The GODDARD is truly a lost classic>> but a very functional and good design>> yes it would be a good skinning knife if you could find one in VG-10.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Stretch or Endura would work fine.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

D-Roc wrote:An Impala if you could find one.
That's what I carried when I hunted whitetails here in NE Indiana. This is what it was designed for, after all. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Gave my dad a ZDP Stretch for this exact purpose and he's been impressed, even had one of his hunting buddies convert and buy one also.
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

I have carried a Delica and an Endura for the past few seasons. Endura goes in with my tag and the cleaning stuff...bags, rope, rubber gloves and Delica stays easily accessible.....Endura works great for the skinning/gutting/boning although the Delica would easily do the job as well.

I like bright colors blue, orange etc to make them easy to find in the field....
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Slysz Bowie would do well. Another vote for a Stretch as well.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Personally, I'd opt for a fixed blade for those tasks. However, if someone absolutely had to use a Spyderco folder to process a deer, I'd suggest haunting eBay for a plain edged FRN C16 Goddard Lightweight. I''m a fan of full flat ground blades, so my first choice among them would be the olive green Sprint Run version...
Hey that's a great recommendation DEAC ;) I almost forgot about the GODDARD model even though I've owned a few of them over the years. Although I personally have never used one for skinning a deer or any animal. Now that you bring that one up I heard from a long time pal the other day that the C-16 Goddard in full Spyderedge is rare and very collectible>> can you confirm that one way or the other?

Another thing that GODDARD model has going for it is that it has a really nice lengthy blade and I think that the later models were made with VG-10 if my memory serves me well. It's probably been about 9 years since I owned one. But again the C-60 Ayoob also has the length and the ideal bend at the belly which you see in most blades specifically designed for skinning. Also the CHINNOOK model has a lot of ridgidity which I find ideal for a hunting folder.

The GODDARD is truly a lost classic>> but a very functional and good design>> yes it would be a good skinning knife if you could find one in VG-10.
Yes JD, the only Goddards that came fully serrated were the Micarta C16 Goddard and C18 Goddard Jr., and are far less common than the partially serrated versions of those. And yes, again, all three Sprint Runs of the C16 Lightweight (grey, burgundy, and olive) had VG-10 blades.

As for the Ayoob, I'd be hesitant to use it as a skinner because of its very pointy tip. At least not to skin a whitetail deer or any other thin skinned game where I wanted to preserve the hide as well as the meat. I would have the same feelings about using a Schempp Persian or J D Smith as a skinner. Of course, it may just be that I haven't had enough practice skinning game to develop my skills to the point where I could use one of them without shredding the skin. So, as with most things in life, YMMV.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

You need a new fluted ti Military. Then, snap off the tip, and grind the spine down to create a nice drop point. ;)
Mic1 wrote:I have gutted and skinned my fair share of whitetail. I think almost any one with the traditional spyderco blade shape will work great. I plan on using my para 2 this fall. My concern would be ease of cleanup and sanitation. 1 must come apart. 2 Must be easy to clean in the field. 3 good grip when it is bloody.
1. Must come apart - Check. But maybe you would not even need to...
2. Must be easy to clean in the field - Check. Open back design, no skeletonized liners or backlock nooks and crannies
3. Good grip when it is bloody - Check

Disclaimer: I know nothing about skinning animals, but it seems like a good excuse to buy a very nice folder...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi