Slipit Design Flaw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
m6steen

Slipit Design Flaw?

Post by m6steen »

I was excited to recently find and buy a used Urban Leaf. However, as a lefty I had to switch the pocket clip which I mistakenly assumed was easily done by the end user. Since the back spring is held under tension by the pocket clip screw, once it's removed the hole is no longer lined up and it seems nearly impossible to reinstall the clip on opposite side by hand.

It seems silly to make a trip to SFO for what should be something the user can do and in my opinion seems like a flaw in the Slipit design. So, does anyone else have experience with switching the clip on a Slipit that can offer some advice? Am I missing something?
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

dubya3

Re: Slipit Design Flaw?

Post by dubya3 »

I'm sorry I can't help but I'd suggest looking on YouTube to see if there's a video of it. I've fixed many many things by watching someone else do it on YouTube!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd agree the arrangement is less than ideal for those of us who are left handed. However, FWIW, I moved the clip on a UKPK by loosening the screw, removing the clip, using the screw to push the hollow bolt out just far enough to allow the clip to slide under it, then re-tightening the screw.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

@The Deacon,

Unfortunately it's too late for such maneuvers since I've already removed both clip screws. Thanks for the tip though.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've taken mine apart many times. Keep at it and you'll get it back together.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

@Liquid Cobra,

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, encouragement without tips won't get my knife back together.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I had no issues with my Urban wharcliffe. I accidentally popped the screw out even though I tried to do it just by loosening it and switching the clip. I just forced into place with my thumb and slipped the screw back in.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Look at blade forums and ask at syder collectors web blog (Mr. Blonde). What some of the other posters aren't mentioning is the original Spyderco UK pen knives back spring is under much more tension and one has to disassemble the whole knife. I found it extremely frustrating but succeeded. The FRN handle slipit I have was a piece of cake not requiring disassembly.

Anu isman
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Look at blade forums and ask at syder collectors web blog (Mr. Blonde). What some of the other posters aren't mentioning is the original Spyderco UK pen knives back spring is under much more tension and one has to disassemble the whole knife. I found it extremely frustrating but succeeded. The FRN handle slipit I have was a piece of cake not requiring disassembly.

Anubisman
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

m6steen wrote:@Liquid Cobra,

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, encouragement without tips won't get my knife back together.
I had the same problem as you, and I honestly couldn't recall how I ended up getting it back together but I did eventually. I couldn't give you exact advice because I couldn't remember how I did it. I'm at the in-laws for the weekend with all the time in the world so I figured I would take mine apart and put it together again to figure out how this should work. Here we go.

I use two different torx screwdrivers so at a time, otherwise the screws sometimes just keep spinning if you don't secure the opposite side.

I know you are having trouble with the clip only, but for me the easiest thing to do was to take the whole thing apart like so.

Here you can see how the two female screws go in and hold the spring.

Take the spring out, put in the female screw at the pivot, throw in the washer and then put on the blade. What you will need to do is get the spring on the first two screws and then push the spring back to that it snaps into place behind the blade. I'm not explaining this very well but hopefully the pictures help.

It should look like this:

Once you have it in place, put the other washer back then throw the other scale on. Screw everything back together. Of course, you need to be sure the female screw for the clip is on the correct side for you (left hand carry)

Once you put back that last screw you are done.

I think you were only having trouble switching the clip, and may not be comfortable taking the whole thing apart but this is what I would do since getting the female screw switched around is giving you so much trouble. This will void your warranty though, so keep that in mind. I hope this helps.

Donovan
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Thanks @Liquid Cobra,

I can see how that would work, but I was trying to avoid voiding the warranty. More importantly I don''t feel I should have to void Spyderco's warranty for something they designed to be adjusted by the user. I was hoping I was missing something but my only conclusion is that this is indeed a design flaw in certain Slipits.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well with the update spring in the current UKPK it sounds like they did indeed do something about it.

So what is exactly the problem? You can't get the frame screw back in at the clip? I guess if it were me I would do what I did above, or keep trying. Are you able to out it back together with the clip on the right side?

@liquid_cobra
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I know this would not apply in the OP's case but did the UKPKs come new with any notes in the literature about what steps to take to change the clip and how it would be different than other knives in this regard because of the spring?
~ Nate