Squarehead daily wear, including gym and shower

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Squarehead daily wear, including gym and shower

Post by iwolf81 »

Hello all,

I've been wearing the Squarehead daily for about a week now. I'm temporarily using the chain from the ARK, which I got at the same time. I found this dog tag knife to be more comfortable than expected, given its sharpish corners. It tends to hang in placed without sliding on this chain, which is a good thing. I really like this knife because I no longer have to feel "blade-naked" in the gym, as it's quite unobtrusive. I also gave it a good treatment of the Tuf-Glide lubricant/protector before wearing it. Lastly, I'm glad I got the locking Squarehead dog tag over the non-locking Panchenko dog tag. Granted, this isn't a heavy use knife, but I personally like the security of a locking blade.

So I am wondering about a few things with the Squarehead:
1. Will (semi-)regular oiling with Tuf-Glide keep it from rusting due to perspiration and showering? Would Tuf-Glide Marine be a better choice?
2. How can I round down the sharp corners? I'm not sure what tools to use with titanium.
3. I'm still looking for the ideal way to attach this knife to the chain. Another forum member recommended a magnet mechanism, but I'd prefer one with a positive lock (again the security thing with me.)

Thanks for listening!

Regards,
Ira
mattman

Re: Squarehead daily wear, including gym and shower

Post by mattman »

Re: your point #3, I have used a bunch of these on my keys over the years, and the swiss army version here is a much better quality than any of the other random ones I've come across...
https://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/produc ... pler/33549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't wear a neck knife though, just a thought from reading your post...
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Nice, Matt! I have one of those around here somewhere, never thought to use it with my DogTag, thanks!

And, Wolf, I've been wearing my DogTag for a few weeks, now. I've showered with it, caustically perspired all over it, daily, etc......with no ill effect. No lube, no anti-rust stuff, nada.
Last edited by Razzle on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
mattman

Post by mattman »

No problem, let us know how it works out!

(Two things... The cheap ones are just that... Cheap. Secondly, there seems to be someone selling a knockoff on amazon as a real one, at the price of the real one... I didn't find an actual Victorinox one on there at all...)
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Oh, I've probably had and used this one for 25-30 years, it's never failed me....no idea who made it.
Matt