Pink Roadie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Pink Roadie?

Post by demoncase »

While perusing my already-well-thumbed 2015 Catalog, I happened upon the page for the Roadie.

Now, I realise that not all of the colours listed have been released yet....But it struck me that the cute little shape and handy size is crying out for a pink handled version, as per the Squeak.

I've handed my Roadie to a number of the female members of the family, all of whom expressed delight at the relative cuteness and 'non-scary' shape, as well as the utility of the little blade....Several of whom I had to politely ask to get it back....I figure a pink model would be a reasonable hit.

It's definately the kind of pen-knife that you would give to your mother as a gift (or mother-in-law, even!) without her cutting you out of the will
(See what I did there?)

So- Pink Roadie?- Yay or nay or 'Shut up Jon, stop drinking so much coffee"? :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
tvenuto

Re: Pink Roadie?

Post by tvenuto »

Totally reasonable suggestion. They've done a pink version of many other FRN models, so I don't see why they wouldn't also do this.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:Totally reasonable suggestion. They've done a pink version of many other FRN models, so I don't see why they wouldn't also do this.
I feel the 'non-pointy-ness' of the Roadie's shape especially lends it to the pink colouration....It'll look even more cheerful and friendly! :rolleyes:
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

demoncase wrote:I feel the 'non-pointy-ness' of the Roadie's shape especially lends it to the pink colouration....It'll look even more cheerful and friendly! :rolleyes:
Agreed. White, powder blue, lime green, a purple like the '09 Forum Native, and yellow (if it's not reserved for Salts) would also work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:Agreed. White, powder blue, lime green, a purple like the '09 Forum Native, and yellow (if it's not reserved for Salts) would also work.
I think a white, dye-your-own version would be very cool. Perhaps release a limited number via the SFO and do a contest for the best dye job?

I always loved the white Delica, and finally chased down one recently. I've been thinking of customizing it by filling the escutcheon logo with red epoxy somehow, but don't want to screw it up.

Seriously: white roadie customization contest.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I agree with more white FRN! I've always been a fan of the few that are out there but only own the Ladybug..

The customization option is definitely a big extra! :)

(and I can imagine that this one would also work well in pink)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Agreed. White, powder blue, lime green, a purple like the '09 Forum Native, and yellow (if it's not reserved for Salts) would also work.
I think a white, dye-your-own version would be very cool. Perhaps release a limited number via the SFO and do a contest for the best dye job?

Seriously: white roadie customization contest.
That's a superb idea!

remnar

Post by remnar »

I like the idea of a pink Roadie, and Jon, there is no such thing as too much coffee. :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:I like the idea of a pink Roadie, and Jon, there is no such thing as too much coffee. :D
Pink with Superblue, please. And pass the java! ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Italian Spyderco factory(ies) uses European and American steels, so I doubt you'd see Japanese Super Blue on a Roadie. Elmax seems like it would be the logical sprint metal, akin to the recent sprints from there.

Oh, and definitely sign me up for a pink Roadie too. Of course the other color that needs to happen is PURPLE!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
v8r

Post by v8r »

As long as it's 80s Hot Pink! I'm down for lime green as well. I have often wondered why Spyderco doesn't use more lime green.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Pink would be great but white would make it for me. Color your own, yes.
Mike
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

After getting all worked up over the dye-your-own idea... is it easy to disassemble one of these? You'd need to do that to dip the scales or etch the blade. Pulling mine out it looks to be held by one screw at the pivot and two rivets at the rear, which might complicate matters. Perhaps for the white version these could be screws?
remnar

Post by remnar »

You don't need to disassemble the knife to dye the scales. I did on the one knife that I've done, but I've seen it done without taking the knife apart.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The Italian Spyderco factory(ies) uses European and American steels, so I doubt you'd see Japanese Super Blue on a Roadie. Elmax seems like it would be the logical sprint metal, akin to the recent sprints from there.

Oh, and definitely sign me up for a pink Roadie too. Of course the other color that needs to happen is PURPLE!
Quite right, quite right. ;) But a fellow can dream, no? :p :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal