Slab-sided Stainless Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieJay

Slab-sided Stainless Spydies

Post by SpydieJay »

Probably a past post, but did the Police (non-PIG) and the Harpy come with right-angle (slab-sided) scales, like the Worker, Mariner, Hunter, Executive, and Standard? (I have a version of all of them but the Executive.)
yablanowitz

Re: Slab-sided Stainless Spydies

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't know about the Harpy, but the first generation Police without PIG marking did come with unbeveled handles.

SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Thanks, you're the only one who replied! I thought I saw the Police w/o markings. Maybe Sal or the Deacon would know about the Harpy.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

According to the Spydiewiki, there was an early version of the Harpy with unbeveled handles. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C08_Harpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wasn't there an early edition of the C-01 WORKER model that had those stainless handles that didn't have the chamferred edges? I was also thinking that there was either a STANDARD model or HUNTER model during that early era that also had handle scales like?

It seems like I also remember that the Spyders that had those type of handle scales also had "two screw" pocket clips?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

yablanowitz wrote:According to the Spydiewiki, there was an early version of the Harpy with unbeveled handles. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C08_Harpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm in the same boat, Jack. Logically, a slab handled version would be expected to exist, given the Harpy's original "launch date". However, despite that, I can't recall ever seeing as much as a photo of one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:Wasn't there an early edition of the C-01 WORKER model that had those stainless handles that didn't have the chamferred edges? I was also thinking that there was either a STANDARD model or HUNTER model during that early era that also had handle scales like?

It seems like I also remember that the Spyders that had those type of handle scales also had "two screw" pocket clips?
My C01S Worker has unbeveled handles, but it has a 3 screw clip.

I don't know if the C05 Economy Standard ever came any other way.
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

I have the same Worker with a three-screw clip in PE. I also have seen the Standard with beveled edges on Spydiewiki, but both my SE and PE Standards have right angle edges with integral clips. And, yes, Yab, that link to Spydiewiki you posted is what started my quest for this Harpy, only made in SE. I too, like The Deacon have never seen even one photo of it. This knife along with my PE SS Harpy would make me very content. Then, a PE CF Harpy would complete the Harpy collection for me. Almost had one once for a reasonable $250, but the guy sold it to someone else! They are extremely hard to find versus the SE.
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

The Deacon wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:According to the Spydiewiki, there was an early version of the Harpy with unbeveled handles. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm in the same boat, Jack. Logically, a slab handled version would be expected to exist, given the Harpy's original "launch date". However, despite that, I can't recall ever seeing as much as a photo of one.
Can't Sal confirm if they exist per Spydiewiki? And maybe their approximate production quantity or timeframe?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I didn't even own a Spyderco folder until 1995 which was a GIN-1 Mariner SE model. But it sure had a chamferred set of stainless steel handle/scales. But my gut tells me that in the early 90s or late 80s when they launched some of their older/stalwart/iconic models>> I'm willing to bet that at least 4 or 5 of those early models probably had those early slab type scales.

I'm sure they weren't in production very long because I don't think it took Spyderco very long to realize that a chamferred handle has a considerably better grip factor. I do however find Spyderco's evolution of their products with their knives and also their sharpening equipment to be a fascinating progression in bettering the quality of their products. To me that shows a true American Entreprenuer.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Interesting
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpydieJay wrote:Can't Sal confirm if they exist per Spydiewiki? And maybe their approximate production quantity or timeframe?
We're talking something that may or may not have been made nearly 30 years ago, so I suspect Sal is the only one who could confirm or deny it.

All I can say is that I've never seen one and, while I'm paying less attention than I once did, it's something I'm absolutely certain I'd remember seeing. Definitely no photos of one in The Spyderco Story, I've been through it twice. Nobody else has chimed in here with photos of one, or even an unconfirmed sighting. Still, the Harpy was introduced in '87 and the first catalog we've come up with after that is '90. That one shows the Harpy's handle having beveled edges, but there's a gap there in which a slab sided version could have existed.
Paul
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Thanks again, Paul. JDSpydo thinks only 4 or 5 may exist, but if there were three years that are unknown and a least one 'run' had made them, there would be at least few hundred made, no? I too have never even seen a photo, and believe me, I've looked! Because I've dragged out replies in this post, I can't recall, but thought in a message that Sal may have replied and said they most likely were made, but he didn't know for sure either. Please correct me if recalled wrong, Sal! That model, if it exists, is in my Extremely Rare list, so I want to remove it if it is a myth and put this issue to bed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpydieJay wrote:Thanks again, Paul. JDSpydo thinks only 4 or 5 may exist, but if there were three years that are unknown and a least one 'run' had made them, there would be at least few hundred made, no? I too have never even seen a photo, and believe me, I've looked! Because I've dragged out replies in this post, I can't recall, but thought in a message that Sal may have replied and said they most likely were made, but he didn't know for sure either. Please correct me if recalled wrong, Sal! That model, if it exists, is in my Extremely Rare list, so I want to remove it if it is a myth and put this issue to bed.
I can only imagine what one of the original late 1980s or early 1990sj original Spyderco folders would be worth new in the factory box>> or clampack or whatever the very early models came in. The 2 screw Worker model is one of the very earliest that I'm even aware of and I believe that the WORKER was indeed their very first model from what I've been told. I also think we're seeing some of the older Spyderco memorabilia starting to become interesting to many collectors.

According to the book that was out in the late 90s/early 2000s entitled "The Spyderco Story" by Kenneth Delavigne>> that book said that Spyderco as a company started out by making sharpening equipment first before they ever made knives. We are at a point to where we need a sequel to that book. There has been so many innovations and changes in the company since then>> Spyderco truly is a great example of someone attaining the American Dream. I highly urge you to get a copy of that book because it has a lot of the history you're probably looking for.
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Yes, Paul mentioned the book, and I have seen it on ebay many times, sometimes sell at under $150,but never bothered with it, since like you said, many Spydercos have come out since. We do need an updated edition! Of course, also on my Extremely Rare list is any NIB 2-screw worker, but that would be pushing a grand I imagine. Could have had an unnumbered (extra production) Evolution 2-screw for $375 once, but they have thicker slabs than the original and I only want the original (like everybody else!) A few years ago a NIB C02 Paramedic (PE) with slab sides went for around $500, but it will probably be years before anyone sees one again. I have NIB slab sided versions of C01P, C02S, C03S, C04S, C05S, C05P, C07P, and C07S (PIG). I want to substantiate the existence of the slab-sided C08 Harpy - Just that would make me happy right now so I can take it off my list.
sal

Post by sal »

I don't remember any Harpy version without the bevels.

sal
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Thanks, Sal! Maybe that Spydiewiki entry is wrong then.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is it possible it was a Japan only version? I know there are knives available there from Spyderco that are not available in the USA.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:Is it possible it was a Japan only version? I know there are knives available there from Spyderco that are not available in the USA.
Well, that's something only someone who has worked for G Sakai for 30 years or so could confirm. However, I'd rate the chances of a Japanese Market version of any model pre-dating the "official" version as very, very slim and there would be no logical reason to make knives with the older style handle once the new style existed.

FWIW, I spent years trying to track down a plain edged micarta C16 Goddard after someone I considered more knowledgeable than myself swore he'd seen one at a show. So, until I see one with my own two eyes, I'll choose to believe that the slab sided Harpy is a mythical being. Come to think of it, give some of the mix-n-match abortions Dr FrankenSpyder and his apprentice have turned out over the years, I might have a hard time believing one was real even if I did see it.
Paul
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have the SS Dfly and love it