Why not more knives with compression lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mic1

Why not more knives with compression lock?

Post by Mic1 »

Why not more knives with compression lock. Seems to me to be a great lock well designed strong and unique but there are very few knives in the catalog that use it. Just wondering why.
SG89

Re: Why not more knives with compression lock?

Post by SG89 »

I second your question :confused:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spyder-Monkey

Post by Spyder-Monkey »

I deeply prefer backlocks
losinground

Post by losinground »

There were many models that carried it, but are now discontinued. The Lil Temp 2 will have it, which should be out sometime.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I think you answer your own question to some degree by mentioning the unique nature of the compression lock. Lock designs with longer tenure and more customers using and being comfortable with them would figure to be where more choices land. I think the compression lock is a cool design and I never had any problems with the safety of its function. But the primary knife that utilized it (1st gen Paramilitary) when I had a lot of knives to pick from was not my preferred model and so the lock had trouble gaining any special favor with me.
~ Nate
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I would guess that non-aficionados would shy away from the compression lock due its unfamiliarity. Also, variety is a good thing. It is my favorite lock of all, yet I can see others being intimidated by its newness.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I would guess that non-aficionados would shy away from the compression lock due its unfamiliarity. Also, variety is a good thing. It is my favorite lock of all, yet I can see others being intimidated by its newness.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

It's a little bit fiddly and tends to be sticky. It's an amazing lock but in the modern world ease of unlocking is desired above all else.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Joshua J. wrote:It's a little bit fiddly and tends to be sticky. It's an amazing lock but in the modern world ease of unlocking is desired above all else.
Ease of unlocking ?! :confused: Comp lock is stronger, safer and easier to unlock than any other lock on the market unless you are a lefty.I second the OP.We should have more comp lock models.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

From my perspective the compression lock is not only wrong handed, it also puts the lock release right in a spot my thumb gravitates to when using a knife. I give it Image Image Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, here's my two cents. I love the compression lock. In fact, there was a time when I first started using it that I would have told you it was my favorite lock. I think mainly because it allows the knife to be opened and closed quickly. What I have found over the years though is that a good backlock offers me a bit more secure function.

Ok, I hate to admit this but I have actually dropped my Paramilitary 2 twice while closing it. Not because I was new to the lock or its actuation but because I was overly familiar with it. I just gripped the knife lightly and swung the blade closed on "whoop" it slipped right out of my hand. I did the ole "dance of the falling knife" both times. You know where you are trying like **** to get your feet out of the way before that falling knife finds its home. hehe. Anyway, I really don't think I am more uncoordinated than the next guy; the compression lock is just a bit less secure in my hand than a backlock while I am closing. For this reason I am much happier on my kayak with a backlock. Were I using a compression lock out there I would have two knives on the bottom of the ocean.

Anyway, don't read this as a dismissal of the compression lock. I still love my pm2's and am fully confident that I can close them the next 10,000 times without my knife slipping out of my hand. I just have to admit that if I am tired or moving to fast or not focused that it is a possibility. Much more so than with a good old backlock.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think it's obviously a charitable gesture to keep us all from going broke!

In actuality, I think Spyderco does a very good job of using a lock (and materials) that fit the design. I think the Comp lock is used on knives that it works on, and that's a prime reason people like it so much.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What people don't seem to realize is the compression lock is not easy to make. There are several critical dimensions, any one of which being off by a couple of thousandths of an inch will cause problems ranging from lock stick to vertical play. Oddly, Paul is left handed and considers it "wrong handed" while I'm right handed and consider it "wrong handed". I find the lock much easier to release with my thumb when holding the knife in my left hand than the index finger pinch required in my right hand.

It's a good lock, but for me it's shortcomings outweigh its advantages.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote: In actuality, I think Spyderco does a very good job of using a lock (and materials) that fit the design. I think the Comp lock is used on knives that it works on, and that's a prime reason people like it so much.
+1.

Why don't Spyderco put the comp lock in everything?
I'll answer that with a similar question that gets the same sort of answer: Why don't Chevy put their full-power V8 in everything?

Answer: "Not every application needs it, not every customer wants it and there may be a more elegant/effective/effecient/practical/aesthetically pleasing/value-added(delete to taste) solution instead"

I like my PM2, I love my Yo2 and have a soft spot for my Salsas with their comp locks....But part of what makes them special is the interest that's added with the Comp lock.
If every Spydie had a Comp lock, I would never have bothered with either the PM2 or the Yo2...
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I am not calling into question the the other designs or locks strength. I figured it was A bit of cost to produce and then educating people about it. But it really is a great lock for strength when I was looking for locks that were strong and had longevity this lock really stood out even against tri ad, axis, and most other locks. I was impressed! I get it to you don't always need that or want. We're the discontinued models not popular? I guess that very question kinda answers it self.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:What I have found over the years though is that a good backlock offers me a bit more secure function.
I like to vary my closing techniques. Have you tried to unlock a compression lock with your thumb?

You hold the knife normally, you move your thumb to the other side, you press your thumb on the lock release... and from there, it is just like unlocking a back lock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Great lock. I do believe there are some new models on there way that will have compression locks, hope those will stick around.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I don't try to close PM2 one handed. If I do I push the lock then push the spine of the blade on my leg or something to close. It really does not seem to me to be designed for one hand closing like say a liner lock. That said I bought a Native 5 2013 s110v forum knife on ebay to try the the lock and knife. I bought my wife the manix and played with the lock on that too. I still like the compression lock over the ball bearing. Though secretly she may get the N 5 and I will reclaim the manix she was complaining about the size of Manix.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I have always closed the compression lock one handed, with my thumb on the Spydiehole and my index finger unlocking.
(using the Spydiehole for controlled closing)
Have never had a problem with it and works great for me to be able to close the blade without looking at it while doing something else..
(have mainly used it on PM2 and Superleaf)

Guess my (current) favorite is the Native 5 since about 3 months, would sometimes like a slightly bigger Native with a compression lock. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

yablanowitz wrote:What people don't seem to realize is the compression lock is not easy to make. There are several critical dimensions, any one of which being off by a couple of thousandths of an inch will cause problems ranging from lock stick to vertical play.
I second what Yab said. At the moment there are only two facilities that seem to make this lock for Spyderco. One I assume to be g.Sakai and the other Golden, CO. That's rare to the places that can pull off a quality lockback or liner/frame lock. One facility is already making a ton of knives for Spyderco and our exchange rate is suffering a bit (ie they aren't cheap). The other just expanded but I expect is still pretty much close to 100% capacity.

The compression lock is a great design. It has some disadvantages but mainly I assume Spyderco peppers their model line with various locks, steels, and silhouettes to keep things fresh and fun.