Why not more knives with compression lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
robroy

Re: Why not more knives with compression lock?

Post by robroy »

I highly prefer the compression lock and I only had my paramilitary 2 for 3 days and it was so second nature I still try unlocking my old liner locks by pinching where compression lock would be if it had one.
Para2 just too big for EDC so now I’m trying to find a Spyderco with compression lock a bit smaller in size.
It’s looking like Sage 5 will be my choice.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

robroy wrote:I highly prefer the compression lock and I only had my paramilitary 2 for 3 days and it was so second nature I still try unlocking my old liner locks by pinching where compression lock would be if it had one.
Para2 just too big for EDC so now I’m trying to find a Spyderco with compression lock a bit smaller in size.
It’s looking like Sage 5 will be my choice.
FYI, Sage 5 is nice. Para 3 has better action and more flavors however.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Variety! Yes I have 7 PM2 models so it's obvious I don't mind the compression at all. Plus I have a WolfSpyder that is a 100% made knife for non Southpaws. But now I also have 4 Manix XLs because of the lock strength and blade shape. Also went back to the Delica after 10 year hiatus. Simply put all knives can't be made with compression and Spyderco stay afloat. I would rather see more models with steel insert RIL. They make the knife more simplistic in my opinion and more traditional.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I like the compression lock. I'm right handed and have been able to close it easily right or left handed.

https://youtu.be/ktF3aZqZlN4
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

robroy wrote:...It’s looking like Sage 5 will be my choice.
I think every Spyderco fan should have something from the Sage series and the Sage 5 is certainly a fine knife. However, like Spydersense, I think the action of the Para 3s is much better than the Sage 5. At least with my examples.

Have you considered the new Mantra 3? If I was starting out and wanted a different compression lock knife that's the one I'd be getting.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

gundamaniac wrote:I like the compression lock. I'm right handed and have been able to close it easily right or left handed.

https://youtu.be/ktF3aZqZlN4
The more I see of that Amalgam, the more convinced I am that I need one. Awesome design!
robroy

Post by robroy »

I haven’t tried Sage 5,Para 3,or Mantra.I do like the blade shape of the latest compression lock but not a flipper fan.

Unfortunately there’s no Spyderco shops or places that carry the spyderco line within 300 miles round trip from where I’m at.
I’ve looked at knives in pictures I thought I’d never want until I picked it up and then I was easy pickings for the sales clerk.If the latest compression lock fit my hand even though it’s a flipper I’d probably get it anyway.
Card or cash?
The compression lock is so easy for the blade to pass by as it locks up and to close or unlock my finger works so much better than my thumb.Also I think the compression lock frees up thumb from getting accidentally cut while closing rapidly.
I’ve not tried a mid back loc which may work also.
I prefer spydie drop versus the flipping action but PM2 does both very good.
Another thing with PM2 was the Bowie type blade tip curve.It looks great but the sharp thin point and me didn’t get along.
I think I poked myself several times and may not have gotten used to it.
I haven’t got to see many of the new releases and the Shaman looks great also.
Of course I’d like them all but
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Mic1 wrote:Why not more knives with compression lock. Seems to me to be a great lock well designed strong and unique but there are very few knives in the catalog that use it. Just wondering why.
It's not a very secure lock, at least on the PM2. That's why I never got into the PM2.

https://youtu.be/6eFuENF5c08?t=267

I wonder if using the same design as the Laci Szabo folder would help the compression lock. There was a big bar running through the liner, which I guess was intended to help with fast torques.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

the Southerner wrote: It's not a very secure lock, at least on the PM2. That's why I never got into the PM2.
S'pose not if you use the spine of the knife like a hammer. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

Bloke wrote:
the Southerner wrote: It's not a very secure lock, at least on the PM2. That's why I never got into the PM2.
But what if it happens nonetheless? The only reason spine-whacking is controversial is because of shills. They invested their emotions and ego into the product, and when it fails, they experience an existential crisis.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

the Southerner wrote:
Bloke wrote:
But what if it happens nonetheless? The only reason spine-whacking is controversial is because of shills. They invested their emotions and ego into the product, and when it fails, they experience an existential crisis.
When it fails won't happen. Best example of various locks and strength is BladeHQs comparison videos. Emotions and ego are prime example of why I buy knives also.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Bloke wrote:
When it fails won't happen. Best example of various locks and strength is BladeHQs comparison videos. Emotions and ego are prime example of why I buy knives also.
BladeHQ does the common slow-torque testing, which is mostly meaningless. Bumps are far more likely to happen, not slow and consistently applied pressure. Benchmade for example has great results with slow-testing their axis lock but on fast torques it performs poorly.

When it fails very much will happen, if you use your knife. The lack of actual knife usage is one reason I suspect why the awful frame-lock has become so widespread. Terrible lock from a terrible designer.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

the Southerner wrote:
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Bloke wrote:
BladeHQ does the common slow-torque testing, which is mostly meaningless. Bumps are far more likely to happen, not slow and consistently applied pressure. Benchmade for example has great results with slow-testing their axis lock but on fast torques it performs poorly.

When it fails very much will happen, if you use your knife. The lack of actual knife usage is one reason I suspect why the awful frame-lock has become so widespread. Terrible lock from a terrible designer.
Can you have one post where you don’t insult?

Once again you have stated that no one else is using their knives. You don’t get to decide what is an acceptable usage of my knives. It’s pretty simple actually. If you cut one thing and make it into two things, you are doing it right. My 12 year old does it all the time with the dragonfly she confiscated from me. It’s really that simple. What do you think you are doing with knives that others are not?
the Southerner

Post by the Southerner »

SF Native wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Bloke wrote:

Can you have one post where you don’t insult?

Once again you have stated that no one else is using their knives. You don’t get to decide what is an acceptable usage of my knives. It’s pretty simple actually. If you cut one thing and make it into two things, you are doing it right. My 12 year old does it all the time with the dragonfly she confiscated from me. It’s really that simple. What do you think you are doing with knives that others are not?
I'm afraid that you people have been marinating in this place for so long that an extreme difference of opinion is now considered an "insult."
Chris Reeve is pure name-brand, and his frame-lock is a disaster. That's not an insult, the lock is objectively insecure. And what about the BladeHQ test is insulting? They do slow-torque tests, which are not very practical unless say you're slowly prying a bent nail out of something or a similar thing that needs slow and precise force. Otherwise it doesn't factor quick torques, like what you would expect to happen in a fight or if you drop something or something drops on your knife of if you're jerking with the knife etc.
Quit being so sensitive and learn how to stomach stuff, jesus.
anycal

Post by anycal »

‘Extreme difference of opinion’. Sound almost revolutionary...
Peter
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Compression locks are one of my favorites :D Can't wait to get my hands on the Rhino and a Lil Native. I love it on the para's I'm excited to try it on a smaller knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

I like the compression lock a ton. I don't have any concerns about its strength or reliability and it's not due to blind faith.

"How strong does the lock need to be?" is a valid question with subjective answers. If you want or need the absolute strongest lock for the most extreme use cases, by all means get your tri-ad lock and enjoy it. (I've seen Sal speak very highly of Lynn Thompson and Cold Steel many times.) In the meantime, people vote on the priority of ultimate lock strength with their wallets. I don't see liner, frame, compression, whatever else, or even slip-joints going anywhere anytime soon.
Last edited by Nate on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I agree, compression locks kicks azz!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like my Roadie’s non lock. For the uses I put it to and the design I have no concern that it is going to break or fail.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SF Native wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
the Southerner wrote:
Bloke wrote:

a. Can you have one post where you don’t insult?
b. What do you think you are doing with knives that others are not?
the answer to a is just "No" he physically can't...see other threads for reference :D
the answer to b he gave it himself, almost in the last sentence of his post after yours " something drops on your knife of if you're jerking with the knife etc." :confused: