Which SE Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Which SE Spydie?

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So I have been using the serrated blade on my multi tool a lot the last few weeks while I convince myself to buy a SE Spydie. I am convinced.

The question is which one.

Off the top of my head the models in the running are the Pacific Salt, Native, Police, Matriarch 2 and a few others I am forgetting.

Suggestions and pictures are welcomed. What should I break my SE cherry with?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
VashHash

Re: Which SE Spydie?

Post by VashHash »

Spyderhawk if you can find one. My SE Native 5 is doing pretty good though for an in production knife. Other than that always Spyderhawk.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Harley, just sent you a PM and email, check your email inbox! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Can you have the autonomy where you live harley? They're super cool and built like a tank, I'm really liking mine.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I'd be inclined to go with a blade that has a more general EDC design (Native or maybe the Police from your list) over something specialized like a Matriarch, but then again I don't know your typical daily cutting needs. I have 2 SE Enduras and 1 SE Delica. Of all the SE knives I ever had those are the ones I kept because those models could handle most any role without issue.
~ Nate
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I guess it depends on what you will mainly use it for. I like to lop limbs, bushes and saplings with my D'Allara Rescue. It has a hand filling grip that really lets you use all your force when you cut. I was amazed that you can cut up to 1.25 or 1.5 inch limbs with one slice (no sawing) if you bend them and cut into the bend. For this kind of work, I favor a long serrated area and am looking into to getting a Jumpmaster at some point, though I'm a little concerned that this rough use may tend to roll the H1 edge, which I think I've noticed a bit when I do it with my Pacific Salt. I've never seen any damage whatever to the D'Allara's VG-10 blade and little dulling either. The Salt has the same number of serrations (length), but I favor the grip of the D'Allara handle. D'Allaras are very slow to show up on the secondary market, but usually are pretty reasonable when they do. The Pac Salt of course has the advantage of being more light and compact.

D'Allara Rescue

Pacific Salt
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Looking at full flat grind serrated blades:

The Native 5 LW SE is a great choice for EDC. The recently discontinued Police would be another option, but could be too big. I know about one shop on the west coast which still have the SE Stretch on sale.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Why not the best: Pac Salt
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

For small I would go with the Ladybug. Everytime I cut with it, it amazes me how much bigger that tiny blade sears through rope, paper and the like.

For big nothing beats a fully serrated Military. Although if you have the S30V one you may want to really polish the scallops because when new they CAN chip as I found out.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

SE Stretch!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd go SE delica. It's not FFG, but I don't think it matters as much with SE. Of course a salt version would work as well, I just love the bi-directional texture of the D4.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say get them all. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:Spyderhawk if you can find one. My SE Native 5 is doing pretty good though for an in production knife. Other than that always Spyderhawk.
Hey HARLEY X our Brother VASHHASH has recommended two of the best ones here I could recommended myself>> I want that new S35V Native 5 in full Spyderedge so bad that I've vowed to get myself one before the end of the month. My older 440V full Spyderedged Native is truly a pitbull of a blade and I'm even carrying it today because I know we got a huge shipment coming in and that SE Native opens packages of just aboutt any type like a dream. And nothing needs to be said about either one of the SPYDERHAWK models ( H-1 or VG-10)>> because when I have a lot of cordage to cut or need to cut very tough materials the pull cutting leverage of the Spyderhawk is superb.

Now there are two others I could recommend to you>> first in the old school category and if you can find one I would snag one of the older stainless handled RESCUE models ( C-14 & C-45)>> they are truly a beast of a blade and can rip open just about anything you can imagine. And for an old standby, completely reliable SE blade you just can't beat the G-10 POLICE model. With those 4 recommendations you should have something to get you started. Keep us posted and let us know how it works out for you ;)
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I like my ZDP Delica in SE but if I were to buy a new one now it'd be a Native 5 SE, it's a great sized EDC, not too big not too small.
Sal has mentioned that H1 steel in spyderedge has shown some of the best performance of and steel in serrations so a Salt line knife might be a good choice too.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Can you have the autonomy where you live harley? They're super cool and built like a tank, I'm really liking mine.

Why must you TORTURE ME! :eek:

Personally, I have a strong bias towards the models that are also FFG. If the blade is already ground to slice well, then serrations will perform that much better. That said, the SE Dragonfly is hollow ground but it's high enough and transitions into the spine gently enough that it doesn't wedge as bad as some hollow grinds.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Planning a Pacific Salt SE as a first SE user soon. (by the side of a PE Native 5)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

elena86 wrote:Why not the best: Pac Salt
This. :D 'Nuff said.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Seem to be a lot of people with strong opinions about this subject.

Might have a line on my first full SE Spydie will let you guys know how it works out. It is not one of the models already suggested but I bet it is a good choice.

As for the automatic Spydie, I can own it now but once I retire and go back home to Michigan I can't.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Can you have the autonomy where you live harley? They're super cool and built like a tank, I'm really liking mine.

Why must you TORTURE ME! :eek:

Personally, I have a strong bias towards the models that are also FFG. If the blade is already ground to slice well, then serrations will perform that much better. That said, the SE Dragonfly is hollow ground but it's high enough and transitions into the spine gently enough that it doesn't wedge as bad as some hollow grinds.
Everytime I see the D#$% autonomy I tell myself...you don't need one...but as I keep staring at it..I NEED ONE! :mad:
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would grab a Lil Matriarch before they dry up. If you want to go H1 the Tasman and Ladybug Hawkbill are fun blades.

Anything with teeth is great. Most of mine have traditionally just been hawkbills or reverse s' blades.