Your Blue Collar SPYDERS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Blue Collar SPYDERS

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderville has a interesting group of folks with a wide range of different reasons for owning and using Spyderco's great blades. But on this thread I want to focus on the guys and gals who use their blades in hard work>> I'm specifically speaking of hard core BLUE COLLAR work. I truly do work with my blades hard on a daily basis and I know that there are others here too like SURF, EVIL D, Yablanowitz, Archimedes, Daywalker and my Spyderedged buddy SPYDUTCH. There are several others here that I know that truly use their blades for hard daily work and also some military guys too. So I want to know what you all consider to be your "BLUE COLLAR SPYDERS"?

I know that SURF uses a lot of H-1 Salt Series blades in his daily endeavors and that's great because I've thought for a long time that the H-1 Salt Series is more or less a group of blades solely intended for hard use. And I bet that Cliff puts some of his blades through demanding cutting jobs. I think it's fair to say that models like the Military, Police, Harpy, Endura and even the newer TUSK model are all geared for hard use. I know my pal SPYDUTCH doesn't go a day without putting his Spyderedges to the test. Some of you I know use your premium Sprint Runs for Blue Collar work.

Personally I do a lot of really hard, roughhouse work with my old 440V, SE Native and here of late I'm also using my newly aquired M390 Military for many of the mean jobs I've had lately>> and it's impressive how well it keeps an edge :cool: . I also tend to like Spyderedges for the really tough jobs as they seem to keep an edge longer and tend to get the job done quicker. OK tell us what your BLUE COLLAR SPYDERS are and maybe even what you all use them for>> OK SURF it's your turn!! :D I always enjoy hearing about your H-1 Salt arsenal ;)
Mic1

Re: Your Blue Collar SPYDERS

Post by Mic1 »

I have been using PM2 Elmax on the job in construction just today I used it to be an extra hand by stabbing into a wall to hold a long trim board, sharpen pencil, clean up a pvc pipe after cutting, open some plastic and cardboard packages, cut a water bottle to make a funnel to check a condensation drain,and opened the mail. At the archery club tonight shooting outside I used it to cut my arrow out of a 1/2 " thick rubber mat we use on a bail at 40 yards that is shot up in spots the mat stops your arrow from flying off in the woods but its a pain to pull your arrow out of helps to cut a slit top and bottom.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Gayle Bradley for the last couple of months , can't see myself changing anytime soon .
I've tried a lot of folders over the years , but this one is the winner so far .
My work knife is used for everything and anything during my work day , it has to able to handle different tasks , many of which would be classified as hard use , just like Mr Bradley designed and designated it to do .

Ken
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Delica use it everyday perfect size and so light ..... never without it because of the weight & size
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can say with all honesty that nearly all the knives I own are used in such a way. The ones that aren't have at least been carried and used that way a many times, and would likely be used more often if I had backups. Those knives are usually carried now on special occasions or when I'm not at work so they don't see as much demanding work.

Right now my work horse is my H1/SE Dragonfly. It's the perfect knife for my work environment... It's small and unassuming and generally not very threatening with it's yellow handle. Outside work I usually carry either my S110V Manix 2 LW or my S90V Yojimbo 2, with my Southard being a close third. I always have either my Dragonfly/ H1Ladybug/Native/Military on me for a SE blade. I also have a SE Stretch that will be seeing some carry time as soon as I get a clip for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I can say with all honesty that nearly all the knives I own are used in such a way. The ones that aren't have at least been carried and used that way a many times, and would likely be used more often if I had backups. Those knives are usually carried now on special occasions or when I'm not at work so they don't see as much demanding work.

Right now my work horse is my H1/SE Dragonfly. It's the perfect knife for my work environment...
I'm getting to be the same way>> back in the days I was focusing on collecting a lot more than I am now. Here in the past 2 to 3 years I've been putting together an ideal "USER's" arsenal. I love rotating different Spyderco models for different cutting jobs>> it's interesting to see the strong points and the weak points of many different blade designs.

There are definitely certain Spyderco models that truly are geared for hard work. The H-1 Salt Series is a prime example. But there are a lot of what I like to call "WorkHorse" models like the POLICE, ENDURA, MILITARY, TUSK and a few others I could mention. Many of these models are not meant to be safe queens.

I'm also finding it extremely interesting that many folks are using many of the smaller Spyderco models as their WORKHORSE models.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Kirko wrote:Delica use it everyday perfect size and so light ..... never without it because of the weight & size
Plus one on this. Got my FRN Delica on my right now, and it's what I use the most.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: I'm also finding it extremely interesting that many folks are using many of the smaller Spyderco models as their WORKHORSE models.

It's a product of our environment. If I could carry a Military and lived and worked in a society that wouldn't bat an eyelash at me for pulling it out and using it, I would gladly carry one.

That said, there truly is something special about many of the smaller models. Spyderco have done their homework on the smaller ones, and I think it's much more difficult to make a small knife perform well than it is to make a large knife, especially when it comes to ergonomics. It's not hard to make an average hand sized knife feel good in an average sized hand, but making a small knife that fits in that same hand and giving that design good enough ergonomics to have almost a full grip in a package that's smaller than a credit card is challenging. Many companies make small knives but not many make truly useful small knives that can do big work.

Every time I use my Dragonfly, I'm blown away at how small and light it is, yet I have no problem opening it one handed, I get almost all 4 fingers on it, and I get a very secure grip. You could clean a deer with a Dragonfly and not lose your grip even with a hand that's covered in blood and fat.

When you combine the usefulness with the convenience of the small size and light weight, with the way people treat you these days for carrying a pocket knife, you really owe it to yourself to give one a try. I never feel like I'm compromising when I'm using my Dragonfly, and it's really only when I need extra length that I ever think of using something else at work. But, I can also do the majority of my work with a tap knife so I'm accustomed to using 1/4 inch of blade for most tasks. Having that inch and a half is a luxury.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I do HVAC work....along with commercial refrigeration......I have an Endura with a combo blade that works HARD!
Great all around tool.
I also like carrying a Manix 2....another work horse.
Donut

Post by Donut »

When I've helped people with construction, my Lil Matriarch and M390 Para were my workhorses.

I haven't done that for a couple years now, though. I work in an office and a cardboard box or plastic strap is the heaviest cutting work I will see.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Honestly, I grab my LBHB SE as often as anything not related to food prep
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I spent 6 hours today running a string line trimmer, with my SE SpyderHawk Salt taking care of all the things that laughed off the trimmer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:I spent 6 hours today running a string line trimmer, with my SE SpyderHawk Salt taking care of all the things that laughed off the trimmer.
Doesn't surprise me any at all>> because the more I hear about the H-1 Spyderhawk being an ideal tool for gardening, landscaping and also tree prunning they should bring back that model and sell it in gardening and horticulture type catalogs. It's sort of funny in a way when many people think of the Spyderhawk being a martial arts bad boy type of a blade but yet many people are using it for really mundane chores :rolleyes:

As many of you know I've been using Spyderco's SE Hawkbills for a companion blade to my main EDC for some time now and I can't see taking on a workday without one anymore. Yes indeed Spyderco's Hawkbills are truly a BLUE COLLAR Blade :cool:
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:Every time I use my Dragonfly, I'm blown away at how small and light it is, yet I have no problem opening it one handed, I get almost all 4 fingers on it, and I get a very secure grip. You could clean a deer with a Dragonfly and not lose your grip even with a hand that's covered in blood and fat.

This ^

By far my most used knives are both in ZDP-189 and are a Delica SE and Manbug. I can carry a Tatanka I'd I wanted but I don't need something that large, although I do prefer a larger blade outside of work. I'm a ready mix driver so I'm on all kinds of construction sites all day and the Delica is great for most tough cutting tasks where I don't need a super clean cut but what still amazes me, and a lot of coworkers, is my Manbug. I tied a 1.5" paracord fob to the end of the bug, just enough to give my pinky a place to rest, and it is probably my most used and most satisfying blade to cut with. I keep a new SuperBlue Manbug in the drawer as a backup but with how well ZDP has performed for me, I'm not sure I'll be using that SB bug for a looong time.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I'm also finding it extremely interesting that many folks are using many of the smaller Spyderco models as their WORKHORSE models.

It's a product of our environment. If I could carry a Military and lived and worked in a society that wouldn't bat an eyelash at me for pulling it out and using it, I would gladly carry one.

That said, there truly is something special about many of the smaller models. Spyderco have done their homework on the smaller ones, and I think it's much more difficult to make a small knife perform well than it is to make a large knife, especially when it comes to ergonomics. It's not hard to make an average hand sized knife feel good in an average sized hand, but making a small knife that fits in that same hand and giving that design good enough ergonomics to have almost a full grip in a package that's smaller than a credit card is challenging. Many companies make small knives but not many make truly useful small knives that can do big work.

Every time I use my Dragonfly, I'm blown away at how small and light it is, yet I have no problem opening it one handed, I get almost all 4 fingers on it, and I get a very secure grip. You could clean a deer with a Dragonfly and not lose your grip even with a hand that's covered in blood and fat.

When you combine the usefulness with the convenience of the small size and light weight, with the way people treat you these days for carrying a pocket knife, you really owe it to yourself to give one a try. I never feel like I'm compromising when I'm using my Dragonfly, and it's really only when I need extra length that I ever think of using something else at work. But, I can also do the majority of my work with a tap knife so I'm accustomed to using 1/4 inch of blade for most tasks. Having that inch and a half is a luxury.
Well said.Spyderco's LBK concept is an epiphany :spyder: Which Dragonfly do you carry ? Is it PE or SE ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Well said.Spyderco's LBK concept is an epiphany :spyder: Which Dragonfly do you carry ? Is it PE or SE ?
I have both PE and SE in H1, but strongly prefer the SE version. I also have a standard black VG10 version around here that my son uses. My next purchase will likely be the ZDP version.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the hype and hoop-La over the smaller/Ladybug sized Spyders being used for BLUE COLLAR jobs it's probably high time we lobbied for the Caly Jr. to return in some different formats.

If you guys really love these Ladybug sized knives for occupational uses then the Meerkat, ProGrip, and Jess Horn models would really be the "Cat's Meow" for daily duties. Not to mention the Caly Jr., Kiwi and Kopa models as well. Now I do see where smaller blades do have some minor advantages and to some extent a little more mobility>> but for bigger and more demanding jobs I would personally rather have a blade the size of the ENDURA or in that size range.

OK I am going to try out one of the Ladybug sized Hawkbills>> However I do believe that a Dragonfly Sized Hawkbill would probably be more ideal for me.

I'm not a huge fan of smaller blades per se but I will admit that I'm finding all of this interesting for sure.
Mgj48

Post by Mgj48 »

My Stretch VG -10 is enough for my daily needs except chopping more than 1/2 inch or so.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I'm not an blue collar worker per se, but my most used Spydie is my first Starmate.
Bought in 2001 in a brick-and-mortar store in Hamburg, I've used it very extensively while buildung our house.
It has been my holiday knife since the mid-2000s and has seen quite a bit of europe: Italy, France, Spain, Scotland, Sweden, Netherlands and Norway.
Lockup is still pretty solid, a little bit of vertical blade play and the tip is not like it was used to be when it was factory new, but I can live with that. ;)

Pic together with an Al Mar Nomad

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Spyderhawk H1 SE. My go to knife for all occasions. Be they blue collar or black tie. It practically never leaves my side when legal.