Your Blue Collar SPYDERS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

Re: Your Blue Collar SPYDERS

Post by harronek »

I just re-read the original post , and the question was posed about real " Hard Core " blue collar work knives .
Now I have only a few Spyderco's , but there is no way my Dragonfly , or even at times my Delica's meet the criteria of Hard Core knives . I have never been in a situation during my working day where consideration of people's feelings about the size or type of my knife , comes into the equation , if it did then the classification of Hard Core job would have to be down scaled . Maybe my job is a lot more Hard Core than other Blue Collar jobs .
I stand by my original post when I say Gayle Bradley .

Ken
Holland

Post by Holland »

I worked construction for 5 years while going to school and used all my knives in the blue collar environment
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:I'm not an blue collar worker per se, but my most used Spydie is my first Starmate.
Bought in 2001 in a brick-and-mortar store in Hamburg, I've used it very extensively while buildung our house.
It has been my holiday knife since the mid-2000s and has seen quite a bit of europe: Italy, France, Spain, Scotland, Sweden, Netherlands and Norway.
Lockup is still pretty solid, a little bit of vertical blade play and the tip is not like it was used to be when it was factory new, but I can live with that. ;)

Pic together with an Al Mar Nomad
Thanks for the great input "MARCUS :) It's not often that I rave much about any knife that is not made by the Great Spyder Factory but I've got to admit that "AL MAR" is one handsome folder :cool: I've owned a few Al Mar blades over the years and I've been impressed with most of them.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you like the "Starmate" for a workhorse blade. I've talked to a lot of guys who like Terzuola's Spyderco models for hard use. You always come forth with some extremely classy blades MARCUS and it's always good to get your input ;)

I'm also kind of wondering if you've ever used any of your highly regarded safe queens for hard work? Now you got me wondering if you've ever used any of your JD Smith blades for such purposes :D ??? Always great to hear from you Brother ;)
Appler

Post by Appler »

Ironstone Hunter. It's the Spydie I've owned the longest, am the most attached to, and has never let me down. The thing is a tank.
JT

Post by JT »

Well JD, I don't hard use my Spydies on daily bases at work, but when I'm in my garage fixing my cars and bike, and other stuff, I use my Black PE Pac Salt the most, and without mercy.I'm a little shamed to admit it, but I've used that blade like it should not have been used.. and it just keeps on ticking. Scraping, prying, cutting wire ,hose, you name it. ( if it gets too damaged, I'll just wharncliff it) That blade is in my garage-overalls front breast pocket and it's always there, ready to do the dirty deeds.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Todd21969

Post by Todd21969 »

For the past 9 months mine has been a Military.

It gets full of stone dust, sand, dirt, hydralic fluid daily. Has cut everything from packing tape to conveyor belt. Even been used to pry rubber collars off piston shafts.

Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I'm an electrician and rotate between my para 2 and g10 endura for work use. Both are great knives for my work, but I'm on the hunt for a little bit tougher steel. The s30v seems to chip fairly often and the vg10 seems to roll the edge more. Would like to try a zdp endura or stretch and looking forward to the m4 para.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Jmotley wrote:I'm an electrician and rotate between my para 2 and g10 endura for work use. Both are great knives for my work, but I'm on the hunt for a little bit tougher steel. The s30v seems to chip fairly often and the vg10 seems to roll the edge more. Would like to try a zdp endura or stretch and looking forward to the m4 para.
S110v para is coming soon can't wait for that. I did not know an m4 was in the works as well pretty cool.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Para 2 has been my work horse. I have a blacked out PE version.

It's been my EDC for 3 straight years. Carried to whatever job I'm working, and goes with me for all my adventures. Its been my folding kitchen knife for two bike tours. It's seen a ton of use.

I hadn't realized how worn in the G10 and blade were until I brought home a brand new Military the other day. Here they are side by side:

I plan on using the PM2 as a work knife and EDCing the Millie all other times. The Millie is my favorite spyderco design, but the PM2's size works better for the tasks I use folders for at work.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Stainless Endura SE. I love that it's slim and easily goes in and out of the pocket but still has a very solid heft to it. I've never really looked for another outdoor/heavy duty work knife since I got it.
~ Nate
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

Pac salt
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

I am in aviation work on the heavies and use pretty much the Delica and Ladybug/Manbug for everything from prying up on a spinning screw with stripped nut to cutting through thick clear poly tubing, foam, boxes, straps, etc.....i do not recommend any knife by anybody for zipties as when they give, too easy to cut/stab self or anything else in neighborhood or break an edge...that is what cutting dikes/diagonal cutters are for....the knives get hit with all manner of hazmat and solvents and sealants and epoxy primers and are also used for scraping edges clean of rubbery sealant and......and
.....and.....just too many daily uses to list.....started with a Gen1 Clipit and now have the Gen4.....the first one hit the concrete from 50-75ft up numerous times and worked out of pocket and fell shorter distances too many times to.recall....i like the removable clip where knife stays safely down in pocket while bending/stooping/squatting/crawling etc nowadays....clip would snag on something and either knife or i was going down and knife was the choice.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jujigatame wrote:Stainless Endura SE. I love that it's slim and easily goes in and out of the pocket but still has a very solid heft to it. I've never really looked for another outdoor/heavy duty work knife since I got it.
You know I've gotten the funny feeling that the ENDURA, DELICA and POLICE models all three got their starts as "BLUE COLLAR" blades. Especially in the early going of Spyderco's history I truly believe that Spyderco's main target markets for their first ten or so folders was the BLUE COLLAR sector of the market>> that is if you want to include "first responders" as BLUE COLLAR workers and I do include them.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Absolutely blue collar....and in many cases fully serrated for weapon of last resort for a cop or seat belt cutter or heavy hydraulic reinforced hose cutter or radiator hose or etc etc etc etc....by any man who used his hands and had one occupied and had to cut what he was holding with one hand....

They were a seven day wonder back then and now today the entire knife industry copies the concept if not design....so everybody has one now, but back then only a real user would buy a plastic handled knife and pay a steep premium, because that man knew they worked and held up better than any other...

Why in the world do you think i bought a D4 after first Clipit if not that?! (wink!)
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Hey, JD, I believe it was you on another forum regarding the military lock and liners getting a bum rap?

If so, check out the test video link i posted there to that thread....interesting and confirmed my own gut feeling of the genres....none are dangerous but clearly some are stronger....and also why i bought another lockback Delica for a hard use blue collar user...

And i always chuckle when thinking the toughest med. sized folder ever owned is called a delica.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Delica for me. Light in the pocket, easy to sharpen and versatile in use. I tried to use my PM2 recently to open cement bags but the blade was so sharp it penetrated too far and the paper/plastic bag would get trapped in the choil. The Delica is not so expensive either and would be easy to replace.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Being unemloyed now, but when I still had a job my go to Sydies were the fully serrated Military, Endura Gen3/SE and Paramilitary 1/SE.
Now around and about my Gen2 Delica/SE (clipless) or Forrest Green LB 2/SE are enough most of the time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:Being unemloyed now, but when I still had a job my go to Sydies were the fully serrated Military, Endura Gen3/SE and Paramilitary 1/SE.
Now around and about my Gen2 Delica/SE (clipless) or Forrest Green LB 2/SE are enough most of the time.
I'm even hearing many end line users asking for the return of the Military model in full SPYDEREDGE. Actually I'm hearing more requests for the return of the Spyderedged MILITARY model than just about any "working man's" folder. There is truly something really BLUE COLLAR about the full SE MILITARY model.

I've even heard requests for an H-1 Salt version of the SE & PE MILITARY model recently. But when you think about it you just can't get any more BLUE COLLAR than the H-1 Salt Series>> so the two of them should be ideal.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Most often my CruWear Millie and Tasman Salt combination. Frequently carried runners up include my Schempp Tuff, SE Dragonfly Salt, SE Spyderhawk Salt, Manix 2 LW S110V, CruWear Manix, CTS 204P PM2, and Techno. I'll carry any of my knives at work, but those get the most use at work.

Winner goes to my CruWear Millie though for most time spent in my pocket at work. And I'm not the only one that likes this knife either lol.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Nice pictures! I can imagine the Cruwear Military would be a great hard user.

My favorite hard users are PM2, Gayle Bradley, Native 5 Lw and sometimes if a bigger blade is useful my CE Military.