Persistence in Canada?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
windjammer

Persistence in Canada?

Post by windjammer »

I recently ordered a Spyderco Persistence through Amazon.ca, but it was seized by Canada Border Services as a "prohibited weapon". That is unfortunate, since it involves an appeal, or abandonment. Has anyone else had this problem getting a mere Persistence in Canada? Seems like they have incorrectly classified it as a switchblade, or else Amazon is breaking the law by selling it here.
The Deacon

Re: Persistence in Canada?

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry you lost your knife.

FWIW, Canadian Customs has been doing things like this for years, and not just with Spydercos. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's hit or miss, but some Customs officers get very creative when it comes to deciding whether a knife being imported by an individual gets classified as a "flick knife". Dealers are another matter, they seem to have no problem importing the same knives that Customs seizes when shipped to an individual. In this case, I don't know what you'd have saved by shopping Amazon, if the knife made it to you but, as things turned out, you'd have been better off buying from a Canadian dealer. Warriors & Wonders, for example, has the Persistence for $48 CDN.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

Another option is S&R knives.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Whenever I have anything shipped to Canada I request that the dealer tighten down the pivot screws and even zip tie the blade shut. If some border services finds a knife they will attempt to open it by way of a very hard wrist flick.....if it opens it is considered a gravity knife.

In this case, you would probably win an appeal but it would cost you far more than the knife is worth.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D