Very disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Very disappointed

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I really expected better of you all.

My wife have me a couple of my birthday presents early. A large Spydie pack and a Sage 3 CF. Wow what a great knife! Solid, smooth as butter and beautiful.

How is it no one here have me a heads up on how sweet the Sage knives and how sweet this whole CF scale thing is. Smooth with just the right amount of grip and the pattern reflects in the light. Very attractive.

What other gems have you all been hiding?

On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Re: Very disappointed

Post by Surfingringo »

Chaparral is another absolute gem! I bit smaller than the sage but I like it even better.

p.s. Nice wife! :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Surfingringo wrote:Chaparral is another absolute gem! I bit smaller than the sage but I like it even better.

What is it about the Chaparrel you like better SG, size, lock or fit and finish?

Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats!

I'll 2nd the Chaparral as it's my most used/carried :spyder:

Don't have a Sage, but if I did, that 3 would be the one, the cf looks awesome in pics and I bet it's even better in person.

You're a lucky man, btw. I think my wife would rather poke herself in the eye with a sharp knife stick than buy me another knife, lol.
:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Chaparral is another absolute gem! I bit smaller than the sage but I like it even better.

What is it about the Chaparrel you like better SG, size, lock or fit and finish?
Probably the size. The Sage for me kind of falls into that "gents folder" category and in that realm I like the slightly smaller size of the Chap. I also find the leaf blade of the Chaparral a bit less leafier which I prefer. ;)

The Chaparral has ergonomics that are somewhat similar to the Dragonfly in a fancier package.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

And don't forget, if you like the Sage there are 4 of them!! :eek: Seriously, the Sage 2 is a really fine piece of work!
Attachments
sage2.jpg
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Nate wrote:Congrats!

I'll 2nd the Chaparral as it's my most used/carried :spyder:

Don't have a Sage, but if I did, that 3 would be the one, the cf looks awesome in pics and I bet it's even better in person.

You're a lucky man, btw. I think my wife would rather poke herself in the eye with a sharp knife stick than buy me another knife, lol.
Well I am only about a year into the obsession, give it time lol.
Surfingringo wrote:And don't forget, if you like the Sage there are 4 of them!! :eek: Seriously, the Sage 2 is a really fine piece of work!
Hmm titanium. I am thinking if I got some titanium in this size range the Techno would be the way to go. I know they are very different knives, just saying.

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sage 3 is the pick of the litter IMHO
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Are you kidding me? I've been on my soapbox about the sage 3 since I won it in the calendar contest. See: most underrated thread, top spydies thread. Carrying I right now in fact. And I'm going to have to disagree with the right honorable gentleman Gringo about the sage series being in the "Gent's Folder" category, I just think they are awesome higher ending working knives. I would agree that the Chaparral is a great size for the Gent's folder realm.

Glad you saw the light, always great to be surprised by a model in a good way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always said the Sage series has been the smoothest opening knives I've probably ever handled, Spyderco or not. My Sage 3 is insanely smooth. It's about as flawless as a production knife can get.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like my Sage 3s a lot! Just last weekend I etched my CF Sage 3's shiny clip to be a little more discreet in the pocket. Glad you finally discovered this great knife!

:bug-red-white
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I love mine (And yes I'd also grab a Techno before a Sage 2). In fact, I did.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

gbelleh wrote:I like my Sage 3s a lot! Just last weekend I etched my CF Sage 3's shiny clip to be a little more discreet in the pocket.
I actually just replaced mine with a black Schempp Bowie clip for the same reason.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I've been praising the Sage 3 for a long time as well! Blackie Collins was a genius and Spyderco/Taichung really did his design proud. I'd love to see some more bolt action models get made. I prefer it over the ball bearing lock as I find it much easier to operate one handed due to the smoothness and lighter spring tension. I guess I still like the compression lock the best overall for ease of use, but the bolt action is a close second.

Great knife and great wife!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Hmmmn, I've never really looked too hard at the Sage series and Chaparral ......with all these ringing endorsements from fellow forumites perhaps I should look harder. The problem is that there are too many good knives that Spyderco puts out (a huge problem for my bank account) ......too many to EDC and unless you are very wealthy, or devote funds to this hobby over others......too many to collect in that it soon gets pretty expensive to get everything that you might want.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

ManixFan wrote: The problem is that there are too many good knives that Spyderco puts out (a huge problem for my bank account) ......too many to EDC and unless you are very wealthy, or devote funds to this hobby over others......too many to collect in that it soon gets pretty expensive to get everything that you might want.
This here's the problem. My plan this year was 1 knife / month (compared to last year which was >2). I was doing well. But with the Forum Knife, and soon to be released (hopefully) HAP40 and S110V PM2, plus the various exclusives, the end of the year might be a problem.

Back on topic, thought I should throw some love to the Sage 1. Great knife, looks awesome, discrete, and the LL, has a quite distinctive click which sounds of quality. Oh, and the Sage 2 is great too. (I go back and forth on which I prefer more.) Obviously this is no help. They are all great.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my Sage 3 and it is probably my smoothest folder. Truly amazing fit and finish. I carry mine often. I swapped mine to a black clip and it's perfect.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

Very nice. How do you like the bolt lock compared to the liner lock.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Sage 1!!! Do not discount the Sage 1!! A very smooth knife. Even the click of the lock sounds beautiful. Recommended.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

tvenuto wrote:
Are you kidding me?
Yes I am.
3rdGenRigger wrote:
(And yes I'd also grab a Techno before a Sage 2).
Very tempted, nice looking little knife.