Sell me on the Endura 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Re: Sell me on the Endura 4?

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I used to use an Endura as my kitchen knife until Spyderco started making kitchen knives again. Great knife at a great price!
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Speaking of which I may have just tracked down a new SB e4 sprint, just in time to make the wait for the hap40 a little easier!
Belasarius Jnr

Post by Belasarius Jnr »

I've had this for a month or so and carried it for work most days - like it alot (ergos, thickish blade). I've had a SE Atlantic Salt for a couple of years but it is too vicious for general use, the PE on this Pac Salt is way more versite. Will be looking at more Enduras.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

^ That's my next Endura, er, Spyderco. I must be hanging around here too much. When I saw your pic I noticed the volcano grip, then the jimping, then the torx heads... Pacific Salt!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Might want to see Surfingringo's Pac Salt PE review (edge retention thumbs down) vs his constant use of the SE model that he calls almost super steel. I have the LBHB and Pac Salt in SE and probably would never buy PE H1 based on the reviews. If PE is your choice and ocean water is not close by get an Endura
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately I have to play the Debbie downer role here and say I have zero love for the Endura. It comes down to a few reasons.

1) the "finger spacing" of the handle doesn't fit my fingers at all (nor does the Delica for that matter). This causes my fingers to land ON the points of the handle rather than the points being between my fingers where they should be. If the bottom grip area of the handle was smoothed out like a Stretch, I would feel 100% different about these knives, both the Endura and Delica.

2) It has some stiff competition. For the price, it's one of the best blade length bang for your buck in the catalog. But, I strongly prefer the Stretch over the Endura, and you only lose a small amount of cutting edge by comparison. The ergonomics on the Stretch are just light years better for me, and though I haven't handled the newest iteration of the Stretch, I believe that one will be even better especially for large hands.

3) Aesthetics. I hate to be a hater, but the looks just don't do it for me. I actually prefer the older style handles over the newer bidirectional handles (based on shape, not texture), so for me I would definitely buy a Pacific Salt over an Endura. The only drawback there is the lack of a 4 way clip, if that interests you.

So...take that for what you will. I have never owned an Endura, but it's a model I have handled a billion times at my local shop. I know handling and using are different worlds, and much like my experience with the Military, I may feel differently if I bought one and put it to use, but knowing what I know about how the handle feels in my hand is enough to keep me from ever taking that step. I never had that issue with the Military, it always felt amazing in my hand. For my money, I'd buy a Stretch 2 (or the new G10 version, or even wait a bit for them to release what might be called the Stretch 3 once the new design is finalized and they make FRN molds for it).
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Stretch is too wide closed from spine to back of the handle for me to carry it over the Endura.

The Stretch feels a little bit better in hand, but not enough for it to win out for me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

You could also get an Endura 4 stainless, with the stainless slab handles. This is very weighty, strong, durable, and razor-sharp.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

I could not sell you on one as just too long a knife open or closed for daily carry for me in front pocket and i do NOT sit on knives unless forced to, i would ditch a wallet if i could but they do.not make any purses i care for, such as smaller than a wallet...but baby brother Delica no problem...both are amazingly light, flat, strong and rugged...the mostest knife with the leastest carry hassles...the D4/E4 only downsides are ballpark 1/8th" less blade in a handle 1/4" longer and 1/2oz heavier than previous versions....but stronger....handle and blade.....you can backstep in time by going Salt if the minor sheepfoot to blade tip is fine with you.....my assumption being the H1 steel blade is toughest kid on block judging by an in-house test of a blade.....
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... lt#p471862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All this together was enough to push me to get a Salt 1 despite just buying a Delica 4 C11PBK (plain old standard grind plain edge now rare as rare) while i could still find one with non-black blade and non-serrated, that one being just discontinued in the Salt 1...not crazy at all about pushing Delica/Salt 1 standard grind lovers to only one color....BLACK (and banana yaller in Salt)....and one model of each....like being eased out the door....

Clips mean nothing on either to me as they snag in tight quarters and snatch knife out or bend clips or cause me to get yanked in a circle (not good at heights) or stooping or crawling jacks knife out of pocket to fall 75ft so off they come and knife nice and safe in pocket where POCKET knives belong...
Last edited by mtngunr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Guys, thanks for the feedback! What's coming out at me from this thread is Pacific Salt SE and Endura FFG. Pac Salt SE is gonna be first in that case. :-)

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
elena86

Post by elena86 »

DansGunBlog wrote:Guys, thanks for the feedback! What's coming out at me from this thread is Pacific Salt SE and Endura FFG. Pac Salt SE is gonna be first in that case. :-)

Thanks!
Dan
Wise decision.SE Pac Salt is a great work knife.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great choice: The serrated edge Pacific Salt is, in my opinion, one of *THE BEST* knives ever produced. I mean in ALL human history. I know that sounds like a huge thing, it is. That knife is "scientific magic made reality".

Enjoy it, Dan :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Please let us know how you like it once you get and carry it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Comments here suggest the H1 serrations hold up better than in other steels....if only job is ripping, the SE is hard to beat....but if slicing or shaving as well, or even sharpening a pencil, dowel, or stake, serrations are not for you (or me), and a truly neat resharpening job is done at Golden only....

And if you like the Pacific Salt and next a Delica, i suggest you get the Salt 1 Delica-sized, a lighter and less complicated knife than my Delica 4 and smaller and more blade...great knives both but the Salt 1 is much more as my beloved old Clipit in weight, length, blade hole higher and more accessible and lockbar more forward for ease of closing, also smoother and lighter action out of box......the new Delica 25% heavier and a more solid and strong knife....but i want med size plain edge and most invisible in pocket....both are superb...
Last edited by mtngunr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Go to a store (or find a friend) that has an Endura and look at it in person. You will be sold.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Great choice: The serrated edge Pacific Salt is, in my opinion, one of *THE BEST* knives ever produced. I mean in ALL human history. I know that sounds like a huge thing, it is. That knife is "scientific magic made reality".

Enjoy it, Dan :)
Thank you. :-)

The Pacific Salt SE is en route, should be arriving tomorrow. Will update after I've had a chance to get to know it.

And the Endura FFG is probably up next...

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

It hits a nice medium price point.

For an enthusiast it's kind of "meh", but I will say this, the E4 in full SE is probably one of the best SE blades out there. The scallop pattern is just right, and it's easy to re-sharpen (grind flat with the primary grind with the scallops up (the edge will be touching the stone), and then just strop the burr off from the scalloped side. It's actually easier than sharpening most other blades).
Last edited by Joshua J. on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Double Post
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endura was my first Spyderco.I bought one from a flea market in Germany 12 years ago and since then i had many knives but i always come back to the Endura-Delica pair.They are like old friends-maybe a bit boring but reliable,you know you can trust them .Just go for it,but be advised:they tend to multiply :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.