Side by side pics of Tasman Salt vs Pacific Salt vs Matriarch 2? (open and closed)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Side by side pics of Tasman Salt vs Pacific Salt vs Matriarch 2? (open and closed)

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hey guys!

Does anyone have side by side pics of the Tasman Salt vs Pacific Salt vs Matriarch 2?

For reference, I already have a Tasman Salt, and it works great as a free float in the pocket handy blad, including in light running shorts.

Trying to see figure out how it compares to the Pac Salt and Matriarch 2 - both open and closed - to understand how they sit in the pocket and how different the blades really are comparatively...

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
ManixFan

Re: Side by side pics of Tasman Salt vs Pacific Salt vs Matriarch 2? (open and closed)

Post by ManixFan »

Get both......that is my plan at least. :D
The Pacific Salt SE has just been released in all black as well as the all black waved Matriarch.
The Salt doesn't "need" the coating.....but it sure looks nice, and the all black Matriarch sure is beautiful too.
I would have gotten the all black waved Matriarch anyways, but Lance's recent extolling of the functionality of the reverse-s blade sure has me looking forward to putting it to use since I don't already have a knife with a reverse-s blade.

But a picture sure is nice as well. Hopefully someone post the all black versions for a comparison.
I'd be interested in seeing it too .....although for some reason I think that photo does already exist on the forum somewhere, as I can almost see it in my mind, a kind of mental deja vu.
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
DansGunBlog

Re: Side by side pics of Tasman Salt vs Pacific Salt vs Matriarch 2? (open and closed)

Post by DansGunBlog »

ManixFan wrote:Get both......that is my plan at least. :D
LOL I'm sure I will, my wife is always thrilled when I arrive at that conclusion. I was making the same point to her just the other day about a couple new guns I'm trying to decide between. :-)
ManixFan wrote:But a picture sure is nice as well. Hopefully someone post the all black versions for a comparison.
I'd be interested in seeing it too .....although for some reason I think that photo does already exist on the forum somewhere, as I can almost see it in my mind, a kind of mental deja vu.
Me too... surely someone has the pic, or perhaps has all 3 laying around, just begging for a little impromptu photoshoot. :-)

fwiw, in case it's helpful to anyone, I recently took some comparison pics of the Spyderco Ladybug vs Dragonfly SE vs Tasman Salt.

Thanks!
Dan

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Left to right: Lil Matriarch, Tasman Salt, Pacific Salt, Matriarch, Endura 4, Matriarch 2, Civilian

Keep in mind that size might not be the only issue worth considering. The newer, nested liner, models give you more carry options, but weigh more than the older one piece unlined FRN handles.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Thanks Paul, that's a great side by side!!
The Deacon wrote:Keep in mind that size might not be the only issue worth considering. The newer, nested liner, models give you more carry options, but weigh more than the older one piece unlined FRN handles.
Excellent point...

Gotta wonder why the Pac Salt still has what seems to be the old style handle... as opposed to the thinner handle on the Endura and Matriarch 2 / Lil Matriarch.

Is this the weight thing you're referring to? because I do see the Matriarch 2 is the same blade length (almost) as the Pac Salt, yet it weighs more (3.5oz vs 3oz).

The Deacon wrote:Left to right: Lil Matriarch, Tasman Salt, Pacific Salt, Matriarch, Endura 4, Matriarch 2, Civilian

Keep in mind that size might not be the only issue worth considering. The newer, nested liner, models give you more carry options, but weigh more than the older one piece unlined FRN handles.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Salt models don't have steel liners so they weigh less than the endura/delica/matriarch models. The moods for the FRN on the Salts haven't been updated to the new grip seen on the rest of the FRN lineup. Someday it might be I guess.

Seeing them lined up like this really gives me a better idea of the size of the Tasman. Makes me wish the Spyderhawk was still being produced.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Deacon, I just want to say that you continue to amaze me. Thanks for always chiming in to help people.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Also do not forget you can get the Endura and Matriarch 2 with the Emerson Wave opening mod.

Pretty handy for a defensive knife. Hoping the new Civilian will come with the option.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Actually, I think this was the photo that I was thinking of earlier. The Lil Matriarch comparison to the new all black waved Matriarch 2 that I am lusting over. In my mind's eye I was confusing the Lil Matriarch in the photo as a Tasman Salt.

Actually, an all black Lil Matriarch (with or without Emerson wave) would sure be nice too.
gbelleh wrote:Comedie,
Here's a comparison of the Matriarch and Lil Matriarch for you...

Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D