Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Post by xceptnl »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm
xceptnl wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:52 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
A FRN Caly 3.5 (and delightful variants thereof) might very well be a Delica-killer :)
I know it would be for me.
You bite your tongue. Delica for life!

Funny that I replied to this thread originally back in 2015.

For the record I’ve always been on the lookout for a reason to add a caly to the stable.
A REASON? :eek:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strider

Post by Strider »

Never considered an FRN caly. I am curious what steel combination it would be with. Plus, would it be a production or sprint?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Calypso Jr. armed with a hyper stainless steel might be a Delica killer for me. Just might ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Strider wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:40 am
Never considered an FRN caly. I am curious what steel combination it would be with. Plus, would it be a production or sprint?
Sal mentioned having an FRN Caly 3.5 in the works. My guess would be production.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the raised rounded pivot bolt on the Caly? If they'd change it for a flat screw or recessed it I'd be more inclined to get one. I don't like that the knife rests on the screws when it's on a table, and visually I think flat screws look better. Although I guess with the wire clip bolts it will never lay flat anyways. Just curious if anyone else would like to see that hardware changed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am
Am I the only one that doesn't care for the raised rounded pivot bolt on the Caly? If they'd change it for a flat screw or recessed it I'd be more inclined to get one. I don't like that the knife rests on the screws when it's on a table, and visually I think flat screws look better. Although I guess with the wire clip bolts it will never lay flat anyways. Just curious if anyone else would like to see that hardware changed.
I thought it might bother me but, as it turns out, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mayong

Post by mayong »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm
And there went all my future money^

Multiple steels and colors? I'll have to reverse-mortgage my kidneys to pay for this one!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am
I thought it might bother me but, as it turns out, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Perhaps I'm being too picky. Than again with so many knives on my want list, maybe I should take every excuse not to buy another knife I can :o

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
rivy

Post by rivy »

Love super blue love the caly, would love to see this happen, but I doubt it would in the same configuration.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:11 pm
Perhaps I'm being too picky. Than again with so many knives on my want list, maybe I should take every excuse not to buy another knife I can :o
C'mon....you are being too picky and just making excuses at this point. If you don't have a Caly 3 or 3.5 yet, you owe it to yourself to try one. :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
LOL you think you are in control of your Spyderco habit? :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sharp Guy wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am
It really was a minor concern for me with all of the other check boxes that the Caly hits for me. I have said it before, if I had to choose just one Spyderco line to stick with until the end of my days, it would be the Caly series. IIRC, the reason for the raised pivot is the same reason we can't have a thin G-10 Caly with torx fasteners, no room for the recess.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

sal wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm
We'll still work with HAP40, but probably not with Tanto blades. We're working on a FRN Caly 3.5, which will make more steels and colors available at lower prices.

sal
Very excited to hear this! Thank Sal. Can we have any more hints as far as construction? Inset liners like endura and delica? Handle texture? Country of manufacture? Timeline?

Like I said, this is exciting. Have also been thinking that a Knifecenter Pakkawood treatment would be a great caly 3.5 addition
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I'm super happy with my zdp cf Calys. The pivot bolts are annoying but it's worth it for the thinness this guy brings to the pocket. Are frns and g10s thicker?

If they ever brought back the Calypso Sr. (The big one) I'd get one.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
With a Pakkawood Dfly in the mail, a Hap Jazzlica on preorder, and a need for a Rhino..... No. I am not in control. It's going to take everything I have in me not to buy the Jade M4 Native (and really I'm only managing that by telling myself they're going to release a DLC version eventually ;) ) Maybe I'll pick up an FRN Caly when they drop.

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
With a Pakkawood Dfly in the mail, a Hap Jazzlica on preorder, and a need for a Rhino..... No. I am not in control. It's going to take everything I have in me not to buy the Jade M4 Native (and really I'm only managing that by telling myself they're going to release a DLC version eventually ;) ) Maybe I'll pick up an FRN Caly when they drop.
This is all glorious, I'm glad I'm not alone here...I just got my Delica Pakkawood on Monday, told myself I was done for a few months after acquiring 6 Spydie's in the past 2 months. (Wedding in June, then I'm free to buy more knives, per the soon to be bride) Well then yesterday I just so happened to see the Bento PM3 in M390. I'm yet to own a PM3, have a M390 steel, and really dig that color blue handle scales. Clicked it into my cart and figured...I better run this by the misses. Which she immediately told me NO! because I just spent $155 earlier this week. A few hours went by, another attempt with the misses and she still said no. The rebelious one in me decided to order it anyways because I don't know how easy or difficult it is to obtain one of these. *Sharp Guy's pic posted in the M390 thread didn't help matters*

Fast forward to this morning, I suddenly get a phone call from her on my cell while at work. This isn't common, we usually text or email while both being at work. "Ricky, did you order that knife I told you not to order on two different occasions yesterday??" I could tell in her tone, I've been caught. So I told her "I think I might have" She confirms my credit card is linked to her paypal account and she received a notification *DOH* I get the run around about trying to be sneaky behind her back...then she says "well way to go idiot, I was telling you no because I actually ordered it for you for your birthday after you sent me the pic/link. My birthday is at the end of the month. But now we have 2 of this knife coming and can't cancel the order on either one. I'm afraid to go home tonight! Knife life is dangerous hahaha. On a side note, it's not like we're living paycheck to paycheck and putting our home or bills in jeopardy. Wanted to make it clear I'm not totally reckless!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
*Sharp Guy's pic posted in the M390 thread didn't help matters*
You're welcome Reckless Ricky! That pic did exactly what is was intended to do! :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Fast forward to this morning, I suddenly get a phone call from her on my cell while at work. This isn't common, we usually text or email while both being at work. "Ricky, did you order that knife I told you not to order on two different occasions yesterday??" I could tell in her tone, I've been caught. So I told her "I think I might have" She confirms my credit card is linked to her paypal account and she received a notification *DOH* I get the run around about trying to be sneaky behind her back...then she says "well way to go idiot, I was telling you no because I actually ordered it for you for your birthday after you sent me the pic/link. My birthday is at the end of the month. But now we have 2 of this knife coming and can't cancel the order on either one. I'm afraid to go home tonight! Knife life is dangerous hahaha. On a side note, it's not like we're living paycheck to paycheck and putting our home or bills in jeopardy. Wanted to make it clear I'm not totally reckless!
Ha! Sounds like you're in a Pickle Rick :D

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I've had a lot of nicknames over the years, but Reckless Ricky is a new one haha. This is the first knife she's bought for me, and safe to say I probably ruined it forever from here on out! Will have to try and find someone that wants one and get her money back for her and maybe that way she will forgive me. She's usually the surprise ruiner, not me!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha! :D

I sympathize with you Rick!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"