help me decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

help me decide...

Post by dubya3 »

So I entered a raffle on Facebook last Sunday, 25 spots at $25. 1st place got a NIB Rubicon and 2nd got a NIB ZT 0562. I'm not a fan of anything other than Spyderco now days and only bought two spots to try and win the Rubicon but ended up with the ZT, no complaints though! My local dealer just got a brand new black Embassy in somehow and said he will give it to me for the ZT and $60 but I'm not sure what they're worth to be honest. Is this a good deal and is it something worth holding onto (as far as collectability goes)?
If I don't get the Embassy I'm going to trade towards a Rubicon when he gets them in. What would you guys do?

I should note that the Embassy would be a safe queen, I can't legally carry an auto (I can own one though). It's also black DLC and partially serrated.

Is the Embassy something that may be worth more in the future and worth getting over the Rubicon, the one I really want, right now? I'm not necessarily a fan of autos but every time I hear a Spyderco auto brought up, the Embassy is at the top of the discussion and seems to be sought after by those able to own such a knife.
Last edited by dubya3 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Surfingringo

Re: help me decide...

Post by Surfingringo »

Mmm, as far as the high end Spyderco folders, the Slysz Bowie is a pretty nice one. If you have your heart set on the Rubicon, I would go that way over the Embassy. Especially since you wouldn't even be carrying the embassy.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I'm a sucker for factory carbon fiber scales and ironically I really want to have at least one flipper, just not a ZT one :D

The only thing making me want the Embassy is knowing they're fairly hard to find NIB now, at least at decent prices. They're selling it for $210 and I know if I don't jump on it, it'll be gone quickly. The thought of maybe getting a Rubicon and something little in trade for the Embassy is what's driving my dilemma but then again, it may be hard to dump even if they are difficult to find.
Cory

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Both the Embassy and Rubicon are fine knives in their own right. The way I look at it, you are probably less likely to ever out-right purchase the Embassy because you can't legally carry it in your region. (It's tough to spend $210 on a knife you can't even take out of the house :rolleyes: ). On the flip side, this may be one of the few opportunities you will have to get your hands on an Embassy for next to nothing (i.e. the cost of the raffle ticket).

It's a tough call. In the end, I'd probably go with the one you are the most excited about. :) The Rubicon is one heck of a nice knife...;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Always go rare to common. The Rubicon will be available for virtually forever, so you can always decide to get that later. Assuming you actually want the Embassy, I would do that. If you don't want it then there's no reason to go through some trade rigmarole, it'll end up costing you time and energy.

I will throw this out, though: maybe just buy it outright and sell of the other knife? At $210 - 60, he's essentially saying he'll give you $150 for the ZT. I have no idea what the going rate is for those, but maybe look into what you can sell it for P2P?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Maybe put it towards a Mamba if you can?
That sure is a CF beauty of a knife......but it is a little pricey

Check it out........
https://youtu.be/x9m5Gfb ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Is the 0562 a CF version, and if so is it in CTS 204P or M390?
My 0562 CF in M390 is one of thw very best knives Ive ever owned. Its the Rick Hinderer Slicer version, and a lot of people that have both the ZT and the Hinderer Custom actually like the ZT better....
Maybe play with the ZT and see how ya like her..
Last edited by MacLaren on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always had a deep lust for the blade shape of the Embassy..it's just about perfect in my eyes apart from needing to be FFG. I so wish that blade would have come in sometime manul with a larger thumb hole. I'd almost be tempted to buy one and convert it to manual opening. The Rubicon is very nice but a bit more flashy than I usually prefer.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

MacLaren wrote:Is the 0562 a CF version, and if so is it in CTS 204P or M390?
My 0562 CF in M390 is one of thw very best knives Ive ever owned. Its the Rick Hinderer Slicer version, and a lot of people that have both the ZT and the Hinderer Custom actually like the custom better....

It's the regular one with G10/titanium and ELMAX steel. I thought about just keeping it for a work beater since I essentially only have $50 into it. It should be in the mail today or tomorrow so we'll see but I'm really leaning towards using it to get a Rubicon, or possibly mamba if they come in any time soon.
Cory

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

dubya3 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Is the 0562 a CF version, and if so is it in CTS 204P or M390?
My 0562 CF in M390 is one of thw very best knives Ive ever owned. Its the Rick Hinderer Slicer version, and a lot of people that have both the ZT and the Hinderer Custom actually like the ZT better....

It's the regular one with G10/titanium and ELMAX steel. I thought about just keeping it for a work beater since I essentially only have $50 into it. It should be in the mail today or tomorrow so we'll see but I'm really leaning towards using it to get a Rubicon, or possibly mamba if they come in any time soon.
Sounds like a very good plan.