G10 Delica/Endura in Super Gold

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: G10 Delica/Endura in Super Gold

Post by SpyderNut »

M4 (or its imported equivalent) would certainly get my vote. Marry this with a burgundy FRN handle and I'll buy several. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

XCV11 sounds like an interesting steel from what others here have said and I would join in for it.

If this is really for the afi market then definitely a pointy tip is a must!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I also like both clad and solid, stainless or not, hopefully in the neighborhood of $150 or even less (maybe I'm dreaming). I would like to have a G-10 Delica or Endura and would not require a very expensive steel. I think solid Super Blue is great, but I think clad ones would sell like hotcakes. (Also, as far as I know, G. Sakai makes Delicas and Enduras and does not work with solid Super Blue.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

SRS 15 for stainless

And for monstrous amounts of elements and high performance Hitachi's HAP 72 /Kobelco KHA60/Daido DEX 80 ( similar)
Kiya uses HAP 72 in kitchen knives. Can be run at rc 68-70
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

GoldenSpydie wrote:If XVC11 is indeed the Japanese equivalent of CPM M4, then it gets my vote.

Super Blue would be great as well, especially because it is already a proven steel that many people enjoy.
This gets my vote as well!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

SpyderNut wrote:M4 (or its imported equivalent) would certainly get my vote. Marry this with a burgundy FRN handle and I'll buy several. :D
Didn't they already say blue g10?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Popsickle wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:M4 (or its imported equivalent) would certainly get my vote. Marry this with a burgundy FRN handle and I'll buy several. :D
That is entirely possible. I was just leaking out some wishful thinking. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I'm less concerned with what steel exactly they select for the sprint run because I know it will be exceptional - if it's going to have G10 handles I would love to see the liners nested into the scales like on the FRN version!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Popsickle wrote:
Yes... yes they did :D
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Is there any consensus on what are front running Japanese steels for this model? If so I would be happy to set up a poll to allow for quick and easy voting.

Anything we can do to help this model through the pipeline successfully is a good thing in my book.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Spyder-Monkey wrote:CPM M4 Endura in blue G10 with a stonewashed deep carry clip would be folding knife perfection.
+1 for the Delica … but not Smurf blue … make it more subtle … stonewashed blade would be cool … high performance steel, pick one … and please put a deep carry clip on it (also stonewashed) … but not a wire clip - to me a wire clip doesn't seem to fit on this knife …

OK I'm done …

:D
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

ohcyclist wrote:Is there any consensus on what are front running Japanese steels for this model? If so I would be happy to set up a poll to allow for quick and easy voting.

Anything we can do to help this model through the pipeline successfully is a good thing in my book.
If a poll could make a G10 Delica version happen sooner, that would be awesome. I'm down with the blue color with almost any steel.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Quick Draw wrote:
ohcyclist wrote:Is there any consensus on what are front running Japanese steels for this model? If so I would be happy to set up a poll to allow for quick and easy voting.

If a poll could make a G10 Delica version happen sooner, that would be awesome. I'm down with the blue color with almost any steel.
I'll go along with that. I'd love to have a Delica or Endura in G-10 with any steel. A special steel would be nice, hopefully within $50 or $60 of the upcoming HAP40 sprint.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

sal wrote:Realistically, it is an "afi" model. Few regular knife buyers will not have the interest when measured against the cost. With this in mind, I would like to create a model that serves the "afi" market. I can certainly make a decision and run with it, but since the forums are the closest I get to the knife afi market, I'd like opinions, at least among the steel knowledgeable. Since it will be a sprint, there will be a limited number of pieces available and once they're gone, they're gone.

sal
What's an "afi" model? For aficionados? Isn't every sprint run aimed at the afi market? I'm not steel knowledgeable - I just know that I love the Delica and would love one with a G10 handle even more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Will Rogers wrote:
sal wrote:Realistically, it is an "afi" model. Few regular knife buyers will not have the interest when measured against the cost. With this in mind, I would like to create a model that serves the "afi" market. I can certainly make a decision and run with it, but since the forums are the closest I get to the knife afi market, I'd like opinions, at least among the steel knowledgeable. Since it will be a sprint, there will be a limited number of pieces available and once they're gone, they're gone.

sal
What's an "afi" model? For aficionados? Isn't every sprint run aimed at the afi market? I'm not steel knowledgeable - I just know that I love the Delica and would love one with a G10 handle even more.
Yes, that's true, but apparently the limited market combined with the minimum number of knives required by the manufacturer to do the sprint run for SG-2 steel pushed the cost up too much to make it practical.
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sal wrote:As mentioned, sales are often the decider in continued production. We're working on a G-10 Endura and Delica in blue that was planned for SG-2, but the cost and minimum quantity required for SG-2 blows it out of the market. Now we're discussing an alternate steel for the G-10 versions.

sal
So we need to put our heads together and come up with an interesting and worthy less expensive steel. Of course it has to be a steel available in Japan... but I'd be more than happy for Sal to "make a decision and run with it" :p
thatguybryan

Post by thatguybryan »

I'd be perfectly happy with ZDP-189 tbh. I have yet to experience it, but from what I've read and seen in testing it should be enough to satisfy almost everyone while keeping the price down and also being easy to acquire.

If this is not an option, even VG10 would be OK with me. Both knives are really great EDC blades, and I have been waiting a long time to see them offered in G10 again, and just want to purchase one already haha.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

The simplest solution, from Spyderco's point of view, must be to use VG-10 steel, because the blades are already in production. I would definitely buy one in VG-10 with G10 handle. I know some people on this forum won't be very enthusiastic about that choice, but it might be the most likely option to happen. Spyderco isn't going to make any money on this deal - the only reason Sal is even thinking about this is to keep the Spyderco evangelists happy.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind having black G10. Or even a darker gray.
Any non clad high carbon steel would be cool, but zdp would work as well. I'd just like to see another G10 endura and delica run soon.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Any updates on this? I think an XVC 11 blue g10 run would be epic! Throw in the DFly2 while we're at it too ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Holland, so glad you brought this back to the front page. I am very interested in news as well. What was the consensus on possible steels? VG-10, ZDP-189, XVC 11 have all been mentioned. Would HAP 40 or Super Blue be possible as well?

Blue G10 was the only part of the equation that has been decided as far as I remember.

Adding a dfly2 to the run would be awesome as well.