G10 Delica/Endura in Super Gold

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: G10 Delica/Endura in Super Gold

Post by ChrisinHove »

Got my SG Endura yesterday. My first Endura and so far so good, in most respects.

Not a whinge but the f&f was the least impressive of any of my Spydies to date, tbh. However this is a non issue for me as it was bought to be a user and a keeper, so I’ve polished the rough looking spine and the coating has worn off the lock bar mating surface, so the lock bar now sits flush.

The cladding steel has also won a few usage marks already, so this is good to go, to be used as intended!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Having received my Delica a few days ago; I'll post some findings I've had regarding the steel performance.

Sharpening:

SG2 seems to sharpen a bit slower than VG-10, though only just. It still sharpens very quickly, but has an added benefit of being highly conservative to steel waste in doing so; if that makes sense. Much more reminiscent to S30V in my finding. I hit the shoulders and thinned out the BTE dimensions without much loss of actual edge profile, which I've experienced contrarily on other steels (VG-10, V-Toku2). Could be that this particular exclusive came already very thin BTE to begin with, so I'll chalk it up to that until further experience. Sharpens up to a very fine edge, that, while very closely related to VG-10, has more bite with the same progression of stones: 140 diamond > 500 ceramic > 2000 ceramic > Hard leather green compounded strop.

Wear and Toughness:

My first "test" I ran this knife through was cutting some baby yellow and red potatoes, making the edge come into contact with bare countertop to push its stability. Quartered a dozen or so potatoes with maybe a SLIGHT feel in degradation to the initial sharpness at the edge. No perceptible or visible damage. Next, I cut some garlic, lemon, yellow onion and spinach against a plastic cutting mat. SG2 weathered the storm with no further loss in edge sharpness. I've cleaned cuticles and cut open a few things since then and the edge still holds that bite and sharpness. I'd say they pushed the hardness to near the targeted 64HRC as listed attainable in the description from Massdrop. So far I have not experienced a loss in toughness comparative to VG-10, which I've heard can be the case when pushed at a higher hardness. Stainlessness was stellar, as expected.

Overall, I am absolutely happy that I pulled the trigger on this run. So much so that I think I've narrowed down my choice for a new kitchen knife in this steel at similar hardness. I think what I've read about this steel far under-shoots the stellar attributes this steel has and makes it seem unappealing; which is possibly why it flies under the radar of many and has never fully caught on. The price of this run was a little high, though immediately I am preferring this run to the HAP40 offerings and a bit more than the V-Toku2 run, which justifies the price in my mind. SG2 is like a VG-10++ and will surely be one that those who missed out (as I almost did) will be kicking themselves for doing so! Fixall was certainly right about that :)
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm
Having received my Delica a few days ago; I'll post some findings I've had regarding the steel performance.

Sharpening:

SG2 seems to sharpen a bit slower than VG-10, though only just. It still sharpens very quickly, but has an added benefit of being highly conservative to steel waste in doing so; if that makes sense. Much more reminiscent to S30V in my finding. I hit the shoulders and thinned out the BTE dimensions without much loss of actual edge profile, which I've experienced contrarily on other steels (VG-10, V-Toku2). Could be that this particular exclusive came already very thin BTE to begin with, so I'll chalk it up to that until further experience. Sharpens up to a very fine edge, that, while very closely related to VG-10, has more bite with the same progression of stones: 140 diamond > 500 ceramic > 2000 ceramic > Hard leather green compounded strop.

Wear and Toughness:

My first "test" I ran this knife through was cutting some baby yellow and red potatoes, making the edge come into contact with bare countertop to push its stability. Quartered a dozen or so potatoes with maybe a SLIGHT feel in degradation to the initial sharpness at the edge. No perceptible or visible damage. Next, I cut some garlic, lemon, yellow onion and spinach against a plastic cutting mat. SG2 weathered the storm with no further loss in edge sharpness. I've cleaned cuticles and cut open a few things since then and the edge still holds that bite and sharpness. I'd say they pushed the hardness to near the targeted 64HRC as listed attainable in the description from Massdrop. So far I have not experienced a loss in toughness comparative to VG-10, which I've heard can be the case when pushed at a higher hardness. Stainlessness was stellar, as expected.

Overall, I am absolutely happy that I pulled the trigger on this run. So much so that I think I've narrowed down my choice for a new kitchen knife in this steel at similar hardness. I think what I've read about this steel far under-shoots the stellar attributes this steel has and makes it seem unappealing; which is possibly why it flies under the radar of many and has never fully caught on. The price of this run was a little high, though immediately I am preferring this run to the HAP40 offerings and a bit more than the V-Toku2 run, which justifies the price in my mind. SG2 is like a VG-10++ and will surely be one that those who missed out (as I almost did) will be kicking themselves for doing so! Fixall was certainly right about that :)
This steel, in my experience, responds well to stropping. When your edge needs some attention, would you be willing to strop and report back? I'm curious how Spyderco's sg2 does. I was amazed with how quickly 3G regained it's razor sharp edge, with nothing more than raw leather.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Other than the MAssdrop Delica & Endura; which other Spyderco knives have been offered in SG2 steel?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 am
weeping minora wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Sharpening:

Wear and Toughness:

This steel, in my experience, responds well to stropping. When your edge needs some attention, would you be willing to strop and report back? I'm curious how Spyderco's sg2 does. I was amazed with how quickly 3G regained it's razor sharp edge, with nothing more than raw leather.
Sure can :)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:28 pm
Other than the MAssdrop Delica & Endura; which other Spyderco knives have been offered in SG2 steel?

CG
AFAIK, this run of the D4 and E4 are the only offered models in SG2. There was a discrepancy in funding the source of raw steel needed for the original idea of a G-10 sprint in SG-2, so the production was canned due to a huge premium price that would befall the buyer. Spyderco felt this would not go over well with the customer base and I agree. If these FRN models are any indicator, coming in at $120 and $130, I'd venture to say the G-10 variants would have been up nearer $200(+)
fixall

Post by fixall »

weeping minora wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:56 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:28 pm

CG
AFAIK, this run of the D4 and E4 are the only offered models in SG2. There was a discrepancy in funding the source of raw steel needed for the original idea of a G-10 sprint in SG-2, so the production was canned due to a huge premium price that would befall the buyer. Spyderco felt this would not go over well with the customer base and I agree. If these FRN models are any indicator, coming in at $120 and $130, I'd venture to say the G-10 variants would have been up nearer $200(+)
I think you’re right. G10 seems to be expensive to work with in Japan for whatever reason... As we saw with the HAP40/G10 Delica from St. Nick’s.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Got my Endura a few days ago and did a scale swap. :)
56C164C8-28D0-4DAE-86F4-17375F023B0A.jpeg
B15F0568-49D5-41CB-8FC9-16F160884A33.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

I am really interested in the super gold, but honestly i love the enduras i have enough to want a g-10 version in almost anything Spyderco would care to use as a blade steel. And now that i understand the complexities of pricing on G10 from Seki i wont care about the cost! (Big thanks again for the info Sal!!!) In fact id spring what it costs for a ZDP-189 version in british racing green G10. I like the one i have now that much!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd like another crack at this steel. Another run of these, or maybe a Stretch 2?
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Baron Mind wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 pm
I'd like another crack at this steel. Another run of these, or maybe a Stretch 2?
They still have some SuperGold Enduras for sale at Massdrop
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 pm
Got my Endura a few days ago and did a scale swap. :) 56C164C8-28D0-4DAE-86F4-17375F023B0A.jpegB15F0568-49D5-41CB-8FC9-16F160884A33.jpeg
Looks really good with the backlock still there