2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MarcusH

Re: 2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by MarcusH »

forum name: MarcusH
knives: C83BMP Persian and C105BMP Persian 75mm
The original Persians are two of my alltime faves, it's kinda sad that such classic knives with bolsters and micarta are not made my Spyderco anymore.
Plus one of our favorite foods, homemade sushi.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

MarcusH wrote:forum name: MarcusH
knives: C83BMP Persian and C105BMP Persian 75mm
The original Persians are two of my alltime faves, it's kinda sad that such classic knives with bolsters and micarta are not made my Spyderco anymore.
Plus one of our favorite foods, homemade sushi.

Nice pic ;) I was thinking of using the Persian this year aswell!
Might have to rethink it now :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

C186TI - Slysz Bowie. Photo by Kniferbro

Here is my Slysz Bowie, captured at my childhood home on the edge of the Edwards Plateau in the Texas Hill Country. The Bowie is a superb companion. Small enough to use in the city, but large enough to be capable for a romp in the woods. It is a perfect knife: one you never hesitate to use! :spyder:
Nick Herrera

Post by Nick Herrera »

Nick Herrera

C36GGY Spyderco Military CPM CRUWEAR (Sprint Run)

Here she is! This photo was taken while I was on vacation last week on BEAUTIFUL Hornby Island, British Columbia in Canada. I took this photo as the sun was setting, and the tide was rolling in. I took the risk of placing my Military on one of the least submerged rocks and snapped it just as the tide went out before coming back and covering the very spot where the knife rested. The Military will never quit, no matter who the enemy, even in front of dreaded salt water from the Pacific, it laughs in the face of danger!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Amazing pic, Nick! Well worth the risk.
brj

Post by brj »

First off, thanks Spyderco for doing this every year, for me this is definitely one of the highlights of the year, hand in hand with the Amsterdam mini-meet & thread :)

More of a placeholder for now, I might decide later on to go with a different pic.

brj
C91YL Pacific Salt

The pic below was taken in Romania's Ocnele Mari salt mine. The area where the site itself is located is believed to have been inhabited as early as Neolithic, Bronze and First Iron Age cultures (an archaeological site nearby discovered the remains of an ancient Dacian fortress dating back more than 2000 years, called Buridava). From ancient times through to the Middle Ages, salt was an extremely valuable commodity (the word salary is derived from salt) - and Spyderco's Salt is no different.

Last edited by brj on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cxmcdan

Post by cxmcdan »

Looking forward to this Kristi!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

^^^pic above^^^
brj wrote: [...]
C91SYL Serrated Pacific Salt

The pic below was taken in Romania's Ocnele Mari salt mine. The area where the site itself is located is believed to have been inhabited as early as Neolithic, Bronze and First Iron Age cultures (an archaeological site nearby discovered the remains of an ancient Dacian fortress dating back more than 2000 years, called Buridava). From ancient times through to the Middle Ages, salt was an extremely valuable commodity (the word salary is derived from salt) - and Spyderco's Salt is no different.
Very interesting shot, idea, and information, brj! A progression of primitive blade types has probably been forged nearby. If the calendar editors select this one, I'll bet they'll crop it down as they did Surfingringo's shot for this month (Aug 2015) to emphasize the knife itself. Not to backseat edit too much (I'd hate to have their job) but I think gringo's beautiful shot lost something in the process, though the result surely emphasized the similarity of a hawkbill blade to fish jawbones and teeth :eek: --Still a fantastic shot! I think the salt mine composition would also still be great if cropped, but they probably won't consult with me anyway :p :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Blackhawk1100

Spyderco Perrin PPT Black ~ C135GBBK

Last week i was on a trip in Holland.
The ppt dazzeld me on the trip working hard that week doing foodprepp to wood carving.
Now this pic was taken on thursday morning i was walking in the nearby woods trying to find some wilfdlife because i love to see nature in its best. when the sun just hit that fallen tree perfectly. It was during the "golden hour" when the sun comes up and everything is so peacefull.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Nick, that's an awesome pic, well done!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Forum Name: hudsonhawk
Featured Model: C101PBL2 (Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue)

I have been fascinated with translucent FRCP since it came out. To me it represents an exciting next step in knife materials and potential. I love catching this knife in the light and seeing its translucency while carrying it. This aspect also makes it very friendly to the public. I wanted to find a way to show off the translucent qualities of this knife while also spotlighting the wonderful dusky blue FRCP with an equally interesting background. While I did some final tweaking in Photoshop, the background and lighting effects are real.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

ImageForum Name: TheArchitect
Knife: Techno

My Techno models within a roll of blue prints, which pays homage to the Spyderco hole. Although fairly new to the world of Spyderco (maybe 3 years since being acquainted with the designs) I find that I can no longer go back to any other design that does not have the Hole opener. Being a designer I love the subtractive nature of the Spyderco Hole from a functional and aesthetic standpoint.
Last edited by TheArchitect on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
25 :spyder:'s and counting
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

FORUM NAME: i am travvy
KNIFE: Dragonfly 2 Salt C28SYL2

A dragonfly salt in its natural habitat with the Sunshine Skyway bridge in the background. the dragonfly salt was my first endeavor into the salt series knives. As an avid fisherman and outdoors man a knife that is basically impossible to rust amazed me. This little knife does everything i ask of it and still begs for more. I will never be out on the water again without this little gem in my pocket.
brj

Post by brj »

DougC-3 wrote:^^^pic above^^^
brj wrote: [...]
C91SYL Serrated Pacific Salt

Very interesting shot, idea, and information, brj! A progression of primitive blade types has probably been forged nearby. If the calendar editors select this one, I'll bet they'll crop it down as they did Surfingringo's shot for this month (Aug 2015) to emphasize the knife itself. Not to backseat edit too much (I'd hate to have their job) but I think gringo's beautiful shot lost something in the process, though the result surely emphasized the similarity of a hawkbill blade to fish jawbones and teeth :eek: --Still a fantastic shot! I think the salt mine composition would also still be great if cropped, but they probably won't consult with me anyway :p :)
Thanks for the comments, Doug
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

brj wrote: Thanks for the comments, Doug
Much welcome, brj. It's been a pleasure to look at the many outstanding entries so far in this year's contest, and it's difficult not to comment sometimes :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I chose the Paramilitary 2's because I believe they are Spyderco's best product. The size, compression lock, and diverse family of colors make it a true user and collectable with me. This picture also combines two of my favorite hobbies that I cherish so dearly.

Forum name: C.Joe
Model name(s): Paramilitary 2 (C81GPBL2, C81GPOR2, C81GPGR2)

dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Forum Member: Dtoad
Model Name: Citadel C117BKP

I have to go to the heart of what started it all for me. The BI-Directional Gripped BadA$$. While this is a discontinued model, it still lives on through many fans. I am proud to say I own every Citadel, Embassy and now the Autonomy. Those who know, carry Spyderco......

Last edited by dtoad on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coprtoppe

Post by coprtoppe »

Description:
'Steel Sampler' - I wonder how many different steel monikers I could get into one image without any editing?

model names of products used:
Gayle Bradley - C134CFP
Manix 2 XL Black G-10 - C95GP2
Manix 2 S110V Dark Blue FRCP - C101PDBL2
Pacific Salt H-1 Yellow FRN - C91PYL
Domino w/custom scales - C172CFBLTIP

forum name: coprtoppe

Could have done more if I removed the clips...maybe on the next one with collab logos :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I chose the 2015 Spyderco Forum Knife because it represents Spyderco's commitment to their fan base, and their never ending process of Constant Quality Improvement. Years of manufacturing expertise and constant improvement culminated in the creation of the Native 5 Lightweight, which features Spyderco's refined back-lock, Bi-Directional textured FRN for a secure grip, and a full-flat ground blade for supreme cutting performance. Spyderco upped the blade steel to Crucible Particle Metallurgy S90V and gave the FRN handle a beautiful maroon color to create a memorable and highly useful knife at an amazing price for Forum members. I am honored to be able to submit this picture of the 2015 Forum Knife for consideration for the Forum calendar--I feel that my picture of the Forum Knife would be a suitable, memorable addition to this year's calendar. Thank you Sal, and everyone at Spyderco, for making us such a great knife!

Forum Name: GoldenSpydie
Model: C41PMR5 – 2015 Spyderco Forum Knife Native 5

P.S. I uploaded the preview image at 1500 px because that is the normal size that I use, but if it must be 960 px, please let me know, and I will change it. :)
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm glad to see that you entered that picture, GoldenSpydie. I thought it was a beautiful shot the first time I saw it in a different post.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal