Photo request - Worker G10 vs other knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Photo request - Worker G10 vs other knives

Post by Matus »

Hi,

I do not like the impolite tone of the title, what I really meant (but it was too long) was: Would you guys be so kind and post a few photos of the Worker G10 next to maybe Dragonfly, Delica or Caly Jr. (Caly Jr. is the only spyderco I have at the moment) - I would like to see how much larger it is. I had a Dragonfly (lost it and not wait for the HAP40 version which I fear will only come in 2016 if ever) and I got really attracted by the Worker. I have of course seen the dimensions and I know it is larger and heavier, but I would love to see a side by side photo to get a better impression.

thank you in advance
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ignaz

Re: Photo request - Worker G10 vs other knives

Post by Ignaz »

I don't own a G10 Worker but the old one should have the same dimensions. I hope this is helpful:
P1010974.JPG
P1010977.JPG
P1010978.JPG
P1010979.JPG
Matus

Post by Matus »

That is great, thanks! I was comparing the Worker to Caly Jr. and after seeing your photos I am surprised to see that it is very similar in size and Delica and even smaller when closed. I had in all wrong in my head even though I have seen the numbers. I somehow though that delica is even smaller. Quick google search reminded me that Delica is indeed quite a bit larger than Dragonfly. Now it all fits :)

"Seeing is believing" really applies here :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Well, the mailman brought a little package and now my Calypso Jr. has got some comapny. The said part is - only one of the three will stay. It is going to be one tough job. But since you guys helped me out I though a few photos could make this thread even more useful for others.

Just one short note on both new knives - none of them arrived sharp. The Worker has visible burr on one side of the blade the the sebenza is simply plain dull. The grind looks perfect as does edge bevel, but like the sharpening step was skipped. Both just slide on finger nail and forget about shawing arm hair. Not a problem for me to fix, but what I not expected. I am still amazed by both of them.

Anyhow - here a few snaps of mine:

And a few in-hand shots. I am not left handed, but do not manage to hold my camera with a left hand :)

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I've never gotten a new dull Spyderco but I've had the same with my brand new Sebenza in 2011, wouldn't shave and would skid over nails..
arty

Post by arty »

I just got a Worker in the mail today. Mine is very sharp, lockup is tight, and the blade is perfectly centered. This is one knife that requires a little effort to release the lock, but after just a couple of times, it is easier. Opening is fine, with perhaps too much effort needed for people who like to play with their knives. I don't open and close knives for fun. I think that the opening is fine.
This is an excellent knife, with fine fit and finish, and I am certainly happy with the purchase.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am in the process deciding whether to keep it or not. I really like the overall design (it looks awesome!), the handle is comfortable (save for the sharp edge of the steel liners, but that could be fixed easily) and the grip is very secure. The shape of the spine of the blade offers very good support to you thumb or index finger. I do find the handle too heavy for the blade what results in butt-heavy knife. I would wish that Spyderco would have managed to shave some 15-20g off the handle. Also - I do realise that the blade shape is not the most universal one. This knife was made (or so I think) to cut ropes, punch through some tough packaging material - as the name would suggest. This one is on me - I can not blame Spyderco for not making knives according to my wishlist :)

But yes the F&F is great, the lock is tight (a bit too much but I do not mind actually). The grind on the tip spine is just tiny wee bit off (as reported elsewhere already), but the edge seems straight. The clip is very strong, it may use easing a little.

So - I love the shape and design, but I am not sure whether I can justify keeping it if I can not give it enough use (that would be an offence to the knife) - the competition is tough - Small Sebenza and Mnandi.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Why not keep all 3?
Matus

Post by Matus »

swigert wrote:Why not keep all 3?
Well, it's also a $ question. And I have Large Sebenza, LionSteel SR-1Alu and Mnandi (Eldder Box burl) in the post. Also - I am trying to stay from the collector thing - so I am looking to get some 2-3 really nice knives and just keep using them. If I were using knives more often than I do or at work I might be able to justify more, but that is not the case.
Matus

Post by Matus »

So, the decision was made - from the 3 knives pictured above I decided to keep the small Sebenza. I really love the look of the Worker, but I have realised that if I would keep it, it could be a dangerous way towards becoming collector (something I personally try to avoid). I know I could have kept it for a few months and sell it at a later stage, but I have way too many knives (kitchen ones) that I have a lot of work selling, so I decided to keep low profile. And I have a tough decision to make whether I should keep the large Sebenza 21 too (the LionSteel SR-1 did not quite fit my taste).

But still, I do feel a little sad letting the Worker go - it is so charismatic ...