Knife Review: The Spyderco Tatanka folder (5" blade – VG-10)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
subwoofer

Re: Knife Review: The Spyderco Tatanka folder (5" blade – VG-10)

Post by subwoofer »

JT wrote:I'm a little concerned, can that extra cam pinch your hand when opening/closing the blade?
Having handled this knife A LOT and opened and closed it A LOT, that is not something I have come across, nor had I got any hint it might happen in all the time I've been using it. I suppose there is a tiny chance if you press your hand onto the cam at the wrong time you might get a pinch, but My feeling is that you would have to actually be trying to make it pinch you - in normal use I don't see this being a problem.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks Subwoofer,
partly because of your review, I finally gave up and just placed an order. :D
Now the painful wait for the mailman begins.
I'll put the knife through it paces once I get it, starting with a week long fishing trip to Swedish Lapland, close to the Kebnekaise mountains:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebnekaise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully I get it before the trip.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Subwoofer- a detailed write-up on the technicalities of the knife and its design, thank you.

Personally, I'm much more interested in how it functions in protracted, heavy (for a folder) use. I'd also like to know how it carries in actual use.

I'm a big fan of the Tuff and the Resilience but my go-to oversize folder is the Rajah 1 (my only Cold Steel knife!) It, too, comes with a "no chopping" proviso but after more than 3yrs heavy use (including borderline hacking/chopping) it is still solid.

I'm hoping your part 2 will cover the knife in varied use, to the high standard of part 1.
subwoofer

Post by subwoofer »

xavierdoc wrote:...
Personally, I'm much more interested in how it functions in protracted, heavy (for a folder) use. I'd also like to know how it carries in actual use.
I'm hoping your part 2 will cover the knife in varied use, to the high standard of part 1.
Knife reviews are a relatively recent addition to my reviewing activities, though I've been a knife user/collector for around 32 years now. I do have a detailed approach and what you see in the review post accounts for approximately 36 hours of my life, not counting the additional time carrying and using the knife.

It is unlikely I will have time to expand on the update post (I always add one to give me a place to put any additional information), certainly not to what you might want to see as I just don't have time. My current batch of review samples (mainly flashlights) numbers 15 with a further 15 waiting for the next batch. Each of these is going to account for around 24 hours of my life to get to the final review.

What I would say, is that no single review can cover every aspect every reader wants to see. Hopefully someone else will post a review of this knife with a different perspective and other insights. I have to work for a living and the reviewing has to fit around my day job.

Of course anyone reading this who has the knife, are most welcome to add to the content in this thread and post their use and experience of the knife.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Shame.

Tell you what- send the knife to me and I'll let it stretch its legs!
kn!fer

Post by kn!fer »

Great review! Love that knife. Tatanka is on my "want it" list. Had it come with ZDP-189 blade and CF handle, OMG! It would be on my "got it" list! Would pay top $$$ for that beauty!
"Babying" various S90V, S110V, ZDP-189
Using VG-10
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Here's a good thread I just found on the tatanka.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Great review. I wasn't ready for the Tatanka back then.

Now I get it. Hope there's a sprint run or exclusive some day.

Gonna see what he thinks about subwoofers too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:38 pm
thanks, enjoyed reading it.

shame I became open to the idea of 5-6" bladed folders that weigh more than my usual ~6oz limit well after it was discontinued.

If I can track down a sprint C95 I know I'll find one of these eventually.
:unicorn
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:34 am
Meadowlark wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:38 pm
thanks, enjoyed reading it.

shame I became open to the idea of 5-6" bladed folders that weigh more than my usual ~6oz limit well after it was discontinued.

If I can track down a sprint C95 I know I'll find one of these eventually.
You're welcome, same here.

I wonder where some of these members go; if they lose interest or maybe just read more than continuing to make/respond new posts.

Cool review, regardless.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yep, there's a lot of old timers I haven't seen in a while. fred sanford, chapman preferred, the peacant, pelagic, spyderedge forever....heck not even sure the last time I saw bloke. Hope they're all doing well.
:unicorn
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Yes, definitely remember reading a lot of those member's posts before I joined; I hope they're all doing well, too.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:19 am
<<<>>>

Hm, I'd expect to see JoviAl in this big-knife thread. Yoo hoo! Here's a knife you need, man!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:05 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:19 am
<<<>>>

Hm, I'd expect to see JoviAl in this big-knife thread. Yoo hoo! Here's a knife you need, man!
😂 I’ve been doing a long haul to Switzerland hence my radio silence. I would absolutely love a Tatanka!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE