Sell me on the Temperence 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Sell me on the Temperence 2

Post by swigert »

I'm thinking about this one, sell me fellas, pics and first hand experience would be awesome.
yablanowitz

Re: Sell me on the Temperence 2

Post by yablanowitz »

Pics you say? Here are some oldies (I was an early adopter)

Please note that no baton was used for these pictures. That is seasoned local black locust (hard as white oak, with crooked grain and lots of knots) that I split down with hand pressure alone. This thing is a real cutter.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I love the T2. I used her this evening during dinner at the family camp ground. - imo, the T2, is a do all fixed blade.
From yablanowitz splittin black locust (good grief! - dried locust is as hard as nails lol) to what I did tonight- uses her as a kitchen knife. Balance and ergos are outstanding imo. Double distal taper and ffg give excellent cutting performance. The Micarta handles are super nice. Its just very hard to beat, especially for the money imho.
Just wait till you get her in hand. Its one Spydie that Ill prolly never part with.
Reject

Post by Reject »

More pics.

How much can a Koala bear?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

It is the only fixed blade I use. I have a lot, and make a few, and in every one I make I take lessons from this knife. It is smart, and fits the hand in a way that is clearly Sal. Also, it is surprisingly light for how thick it is at the spine. Maybe it just feels that way, but it is a beautiful thesis in knifemaking.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Swigert,

When I designed the Temperance, I was seeking an optimal do-it-all knife, with a bend or leaning towards being able to defend yourself. I also took a lot of input from the original Temperance which had the same goals, but our customers found objection to some of the handle parts. I hand carved the the proto handle out of wood. I selected the steel, length, thickness and grind for optimal performance. I selected canvas Micarta for durability and traction in all situations. The canvas Micarta is machined in the US and shipped to the maker in Japan. I changed the sheath to leather this year.

sal
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hmmm... have my eye on this one myself. Beautiful fixed blade. I'm pleased to see it's actually being "used" for real work, not just a pretty knife on the shelf.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DansGunBlog wrote:Hmmm... have my eye on this one myself. Beautiful fixed blade. I'm pleased to see it's actually being "used" for real work, not just a pretty knife on the shelf.
And you should see the new leather sheath that comes with them now. Just gorgeous.
Another thing, the VG10 is really an awesome steel imo.
I had Jim sharpen mine. He got into it, and she really shines now ;)
Just cannot go wrong with the Temperence 2.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

sal wrote:Hi Swigert,

When I designed the Temperance, I was seeking an optimal do-it-all knife, with a bend or leaning towards being able to defend yourself. I also took a lot of input from the original Temperance which had the same goals, but our customers found objection to some of the handle parts. I hand carved the the proto handle out of wood. I selected the steel, length, thickness and grind for optimal performance. I selected canvas Micarta for durability and traction in all situations. The canvas Micarta is machined in the US and shipped to the maker in Japan. I changed the sheath to leather this year.

sal
Is it possible to see a picture of the 'new' leather sheath? I already have one but with the boltaron sheath. If the new leather sheath looks good, I would consider getting another Temperance 2.
JLS

Post by JLS »

It's a great all-around fixed blade, just like Sal intended. With a leather sheath, it's a beautiful looking knife that is not out of place on your belt when in certain public situations. With the factory Boltaron sheath (or an even slimmer custom made Kydex) it's quite possible and comfortable to carry IWB as well. After playing around with different edge configuration, I generally keep it about 600 grit and it's a fantastic slicer. I love the original Temperance as well, but this one is a bit broader use with the micarta handle. I did end up slimming the handle a bit more to make it more comfortable for IWB carry as well, but that's just a personal preference.

It ranks up there with my favorite fixed blades, but it does share time with Mules, Morans, Swicks, Aqua Salts, Temperance 1's, the Rock Salt and the Jumpmaster. If I absolutely had to narrow down the collection, a Temp 2 would definitely be staying.

There's a picture of a leather sheath in the 2015 catalog; I'd imagine it looks much like that. It is quite beautiful.
brj

Post by brj »

Easily one of my favorites. Top selling point (for me) has been the handle, possibly the epitome of anatomical contours, like almost grabbing back at your handle and refusing to let go.

I also need to admit I like the Kydex sheath better for the multiple carry options, it's true you need to be more careful to not dull the blade but hey, what's the worst case scenario here? Having to enjoy re-sharpening more often? ;)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I have a ton of respect for the Temperance 2 model>> however I'm more of a fan of the TEMPERANCE 1 model which truly was the predecessor of the TEMP 2. I still own my Plain Edged and Spyderedged Temperance 1 models and use them both at least a dozen times within a typical weeks' work. I hope to be using both of my TEMP 1 models for the foreseeable future>> unless Spyderco actually comes out with a better all-purpose fixed blade>> but so far I haven't seen one yet that I like as well as the TEMP 1 model

I was disappointed that they never made the TEMP 2 in Spyderedge :( But I would highly recommend that model to anyone who does a lot of hunting and fishing or any outdoor type activities>> also both of the Temperance fixed blade models are great with any kind of food preparation. I've yet to own a TEMP 2 but I sincerely hope to snag one at some point because it does have a longer blade than the Temp 1 does.

I'm hoping to see the Temperane 1 ( PE & SE) make a comeback in either the H-1 Salt Series or maybe offered up in that new nitrogen based steel LC200N. In my opinion the TEMP 1 is probably the most perfectly designed outdoor type fixed blade that Spyderco has ever done. When Sal Glesser designed the TEMP 1 I truly think he got it right the first time. The ergos on both the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 are superb>> I've had several of my friends use my TEMP 1 models and they all comment on how well designed the handle is. It's important not to forget where the Temperance 2 model came from>> And I do hope at some point the TEMP 1 will be offered again in a SPRINT RUN and maybe they will eventually offer the TEMP 2 in Spyderedge :cool:
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

JD Spydo wrote:Well I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I have a ton of respect for the Temperance 2 model>> however I'm more of a fan of the TEMPERANCE 1 model which truly was the predecessor of the TEMP 2.
I have both as well, and I would carry/use the original over the second. The deal breaker for me was the full tang which adds a lot of weight and shifts the balance point. Now I can see that these might be an advantage for some, but personally, for the kind of use that knife gets for me, the original is much more functional.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Would anyone care to maybe post up some pics of the original Temperence?
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:Would anyone care to maybe post up some pics of the original Temperence?
This.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here are a few comparison shots between the first and second Temperance.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you very much.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Well I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I have a ton of respect for the Temperance 2 model>> however I'm more of a fan of the TEMPERANCE 1 model which truly was the predecessor of the TEMP 2.
I have both as well, and I would carry/use the original over the second. The deal breaker for me was the full tang which adds a lot of weight and shifts the balance point. Now I can see that these might be an advantage for some, but personally, for the kind of use that knife gets for me, the original is much more functional.
Cliff it's been a few months back and maybe even over a year or so but I recall that thead you did concerning the performance of the Temperance 1 model and I encourage any of you who like the original TeMP1 or the newer TEMP2 to check that thread out. AS usual Cliff did a great presentation on how well it continuously cut, split and shaved wood. And just like he says the light weight of the TEMP 1 makes it very ideal for virtually any kind of uses and it is definitely a great all-around kitchen knife.

Again another advantage the that TEMP 1 has over the TEMP 2 was that you could get it in Spyderedge as well as plain edge and the two together made one awesome outdoor duo. Everyone I know that I've let handle the TEMP 1 all comment about how perfect the handle is. And that TEMP 1 sharpens up to an unbelievable wicked edge and holds it very well. NOt at all trying to take anything away from the TEMP 2 because it is a great outdoor/hunting type blade. I would love to see either the TEMP 1 or TEMP 2 be done with one of the nitrogen base steels and include it either in the Salt Series or start a new rustproof series with LC200N blade >> and of course be availble in SE & PE both ;)