Manix S110V or Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Manix S110V or Military

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:My two favourite knives at work are my CruWear Military and S110V Manix LW, in that order. I'd take the S110V Manix LW over an S30V Millie, though not by much because I still use S30V regularly and it's still a great steel despite the other options we're spoiled with these days. The Millie might carry better if closed width (Lateral width, not width looking down from the spine) is an issue for you.
I got a Cruwear Millie on the way 3G, you say you like it?
In a word: Yes.

It's my favourite work knife for normal Millie reasons of lightness, blade shape, etc.

What sets the CruWear Millie (And Manix which I also have) apart is the steel. It is very easy to sharpen in my experience, very resistant to damage, and quite corrosion resistant for a non-stainless tool steel. It's not as abrasive resistant as some steels and will lose its shaving edge more quickly (Moot point though in one regard since high carbide stainless steels don't take as fine of an edge as easily or sharpen as easily...I prefer a much more coarse edge with high carbide steels anyways), but its damage resistant nature is excellent and I really find it to be one of my favourite steels. The edge I can get with my CruWear Millie is almost sinister in how sharp it is with the fine SharpMaker rods...as sharp as I can get my SuperBlue Spydies, and I can't get any high carbide stainless Spydie that I own to push cut receipt paper as cleanly or effortlessly as SuperBlue or CruWear. I can get them to push cut, but not as cleanly or as effortlessly, and CruWear is definitely more corrosion resistant than SuperBlue, and I'd say possible more damage resistant. I'd say maybe not quite as stable at the apex at very low edge angles while cutting softer materials, but probably more so cutting damaging materials like cutting through plastic directly into metal. This is based off my own personal observations and I use my knives for different tasks so take what I say with a grain of salt...I use my SB Stretch more around the house and my Millie more at work so they see different chores. There is some overlap though...I've never cut into a metal pallet strap accidentally, or a concrete block accidentally after the cardboard box gave way more easily than expected, and saw less damage than with CruWear.

Just make sure you sharpen past the initial factory edge where the grinding affects the heat treat...once you're into the proper non-affected CruWear it is really exceptional.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Very nice.

Was hopeful the Cruwear would be very damage resistant based on what I read about it. Plan to use it pretty hard at work.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

You'll likely enjoy it a great deal. I sure have. If I'm cutting through landscaping cloth or cardboard or plastic pallet wrap and hit a metal pallet strap behind said material or some other less than ideal hidden medium (The case of an RRU or Antenna for example) it shows very good resilience. It will dull, but it won't chip or deform and it's always easy to bring back to VERY easily shaving sharp.
Last edited by 3rdGenRigger on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Double tap...my internet just had some sort of stroke or something. Might have something to do with the crazy lightning storm passing overhead currently.

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Evil D wrote:You already own a Manix, get the Military.

That said, if I could only have one I'd take the S110V Manix over a Military any day. Everyone should own a Military though.
G10 S110V Manix 2 or G10 S110V Military? Go!
110 V Military. Dear sweet Jesus.
I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet. That knife might be the one to dethrone my Manix LW.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer the millie for the handle length. Wish they brought back the original C95 lockback in S110V. Of course i think the millie will come out in 110V eventually.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Millie's are coming in s110v and 204p, get the lw Manix until they arrive ;)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 LW in S110v for the win!

I've been carrying this knife for the past several weeks and I keep remembering how awesome it is. I think this is the best Golden Spyderco I've ever owned.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

bdblue wrote:You people are slipping...
the correct answer is to buy both.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Thanks a lot for the answeres, I really appreciate that!

I had the chance to handle the Military. It is a badass knife, but I really do not like tip down carry, so I went for the S110V Manix because of the ergos and steel ;)

br oliver
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

_centurio_ wrote:Thanks a lot for the answeres, I really appreciate that!

I had the chance to handle the Military. It is a badass knife, but I really do not like tip down carry, so I went for the S110V Manix because of the ergos and steel ;)

br oliver
A good choice. Youll be very happy then.
Nothing wrong with the Millie. Both fine Spydies.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No wrong answer here. On a knife as large as the Military I actually prefer tip down and a Spydie drop if I'm in a hurry. It's much more convenient for me than fumbling around trying to shimmy my hand up that huge handle if carried tip up. I tried tip up on my Ulize and it was laughable.