DOGTAG FOLDER. How much use does it get??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

DOGTAG FOLDER. How much use does it get??

Post by Surfingringo »

Way more than I would have ever imagined. This has become one of my most commonly used everyday folders. Hard to believe huh? Its certainly not because of the ergonomics or the cutting power. Its just that I have gotten accustomed to wearing the knife around my neck so it is always with me. The real key to making this thing a functional user was adapting a carrying system. The magnets that I started a thread about a couple of months ago were the game changer.
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=67765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought this knife on a whim as a bit of "man jewelry" with no real expectations but it has become a legitimate "user". Ironically, given how hard I use my knives in my kayak and cleaning fish, my general carry knives lead a life of leisure. Cutting a piece of string, opening a plastic bag, maybe opening a box...thats about as tough as it gets. The Dogtag has been plenty capable and always accessible. I've come to quite like the little knife. :)
Mushroom

Re: DOGTAG FOLDER. How much use does it get??

Post by Mushroom »

I definitely have to agree with this this completely! I bought the Dogtag with a gift card I had, thinking it would be a cool little novelty to have, but once i got it and started carrying it, I couldn't put it down! That was of course until i got the squarehead, I have a hard time choosing between the two sometimes, but regardless of which I choose, one of them is ALWAYS with me now!
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I purchased the green anodized version and it was my go to blister and plastic packages opener until my elder daughter spoted the little "jewel" :)
She just gave me the "pleeeease" look and : bye,bye dogtag :p Now days, it's HERS go to blister packages opener :cool:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have a Serge knife on me every day. Certainly convenient cutters and they carry well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I little piece of sharp metal can be handy, that is for sure. I don't have a Dogtag (yet) but ever since I put a Ladybug Hawkbill in my watch pocket I have been amazed at how often I use it, even when I have three knives on me. I can see how the Dogtag would be just as handy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks for the magnet idea! I had not seen that other thread.

I would compare tiny knives like the Ladybug and Dogtag to the camera on a smartphone. Sometimes the "best" camera is the one you have on you when you need it.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Don't have a Dogtag and won't have in the future unfortunately, but the things said on small knives is true.
Have been carrying my FG Ladybug/SE constant for the past weeks and use it all the time.
It's small enough not to notice it when carrying, won't raise eye brows in public and is more than capable of all the day to day cutting jobs.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

spydutch wrote:Don't have a Dogtag and won't have in the future unfortunately, but the things said on small knives is true.
Have been carrying my FG Ladybug/SE constant for the past weeks and use it all the time.
It's small enough not to notice it when carrying, won't raise eye brows in public and is more than capable of all the day to day cutting jobs.
AloHallo Arend,

I agree. However I carry my KeyCom a LOT since it has a pocket clip ala Sal. For most everyday urban cutting, a small knife will do. Also, they can be very wicked in SD applications. ;)

Be safe my hulkish Knifebro!!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

elena86 wrote:I purchased the green anodized version and it was my go to blister and plastic packages opener until my elder daughter spoted the little "jewel" :)
She just gave me the "pleeeease" look and : bye,bye dogtag :p Now days, it's HERS go to blister packages opener :cool:

Haha that's awesome. :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb