Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has a lot of models that are well known to most of the knife afficionado community but they also have a lot of great models that are literally hidden in plain view or even forgotten for the most part. And it's not because these particular models are not good knives but for some unbeknownst reason they just never got off the ground so to speak. Some of these models are not even known much to collectors or even to newly Christened Spyderco fans.

Some of the lost/hidden models are ones like the KUMO, The Original PERRIN, The VAGABOND and the SPOT in the fixed blade category. Some of the overlooked and forgotten folders include the PROGRIP, MOUSE, along with the BLACKHAWK and RENEGADE models in the folder category.

There are models that have a really solid cult following like the LiL TEMPERANCE, Terzoula and the ultra-unique Dyad models. I'm wondering what models you all deem as lost/hidden classics? I'm also wondering which obscure model(s) that you all think would be a great SPRINT RUN?

Also which obscure Spyderco model did you all really think was a super model in spite of low sales at the box office or bad market timing. My point in all of this is that I believe some of Spyderco's overlooked and undersold models are even great by most standards. So which ones would you all add to the list?
jabba359

Re: Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Post by jabba359 »

Not being a fan of stainless steel handles, I'd love to see a sprint of the Adventura with a different handle material. It seems like this is a model that never really gets talked about, but it's a fantastic design.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jabba359 wrote:Not being a fan of stainless steel handles, I'd love to see a sprint of the Adventura with a different handle material. It seems like this is a model that never really gets talked about, but it's a fantastic design.
Great observation Jabba ;) Because with the possible exception of the ULIZE it seems like all of Spyderco's recurves are hidden in plain view and don't seem to have much of a fan base here on the Forum for some reason. I love Dialex's ADVENTURA model and I've wondered a lot what it would be like with a full Spyderedge. The Spyker which is a bigger recurve model I think would also be a beast in Spyderedge.

I do think that recurve blades are sort of swept under the rug more than about any other design I can think of.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would have said the D'allara previously, but in recent times it's been getting a decent amount of attention and the Spydiecrew is working on an updated version.

I would also have said the Aqua Salt, but they just came out with a sprint version, and I think people will fall in love with that little fixed blade for sure. You mentioned the Vagabond, and the Aqua Salt is the child of that model (the molds were re-purposed).

Since the cat's out of the bag on those two, I'm going to have to get up on my soapbox for the R, one of my favorite spydies that doesn't get much ink. If Sal had a dollar for every time someone asked for a 50/50 choil on the Delica/Endura line, he'd have parked himself on a tropical beach years ago. Few people realize that what they're asking for does exist: the R is basically an up-sized Delica with a 50/50 choil. Some people don't love the looks, as the longer blade keeps its Delica proportions and ends up being slightly "pizza" shaped, but it doesn't put me off. Also notable on the R is the pinched neck that locks in the fingers for a forward grip, and I love the coarse "gear like" jimping on both choil and thumb ramp. Remember that people's requests for a deeper choil on the stretch led to the "Stretch 2" (or whatever the newest one is), and the R already possessed this feature and is roughly stretch-sized.

The most recent version of the R came with a slick handle, but the egros are very much locked-in and it doesn't negatively affect control of the knife. It draws easily from the pocket, which is a plus, and the nishijin handles are visually interesting. I believe it was the first knife to use the nishijin, which is a polarizing handle material, but I do think it successfully harks back to the origins of the R. Previous versions both had a skeletonized handle, and the first one had a fully skeletonized blade. The R is notable as there never really has been a true production version of it, all versions were limited in some way. I think early on Spyderco was probably playing with some new capabilities, such as laser cutting, and was just experimenting with what they could do. The original R is something of a "grail" of mine, but unfortunately all versions that have come up for sale recently have gone for astronomical prices ($400+).

So needless to say I'd love to see a future sprint of the R. With the decline of the Caly line, I think the R fills a niche very nicely. With a less polarizing handle material choice I'm sure people would jump on it, and I know in my heart that we haven't seen the end of the R. I posted Wouter's pic of the different R versions for your viewing pleasure (he's also a fan of the model).

Image from spydercollector.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I could get a Dyad with a H1 serrated blade and a S110V plain edge blade, I'd buy one. I know that's such a long shot I may as well stop typing here, but it would be too awesome to pass up.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:Not being a fan of stainless steel handles, I'd love to see a sprint of the Adventura with a different handle material. It seems like this is a model that never really gets talked about, but it's a fantastic design.
+1
I carried Adventura for several month and stopped it when handle got wet from leaves and slided from my hand. But I love design. I would buy Adventura with G10 scales
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Tvenuto,

I completely agree with you on the R. They are great models and combine some of the best aspects of many of Spyderco's best-sellers.

I'll never be able to afford the original model but the last two are on my grail list for sure. The glass fiber one looks great and tempts me every time I see it.

I'd love to see more of these!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TVENUTO!! That's a very interesting point you bring up about the D'Allara model>> because literally for years you didn't hear hardly anyone even speak of it or even mention it in casual conversation at all :confused: It's as though they have raised it from the dead :eek: . Another older/forgotten model that has been getting a lot of attention here of late that a year ago wasn't getting any at all to speak of and that's the older, first generation Caly Junior models way back in the AUS-8 era. But now there is so much attention being given to all of the Caly Jr. models here in the past 3 months or so.

Oh you would hear someone mention something brief about the Caly Jr. from time to time but nothing like the fanfare it's been getting here recently. The D'ALLARA truly was an overlooked super tough model that few people caught on to at the time it was in the main line up>> it was built like a skyscraper and the lock on it worked superbly. The one that I had truly was built like a rock and had a spine on it similar to the one on the Lil Temperance model.

I still say that the stainless handled RESCUE MODELS ( C-14 & C-45) were one of the very best kept secrets in the overall Spyderco main line up. The FRN RESCUE is truly a respectable piece to say the least but that stainless ATS-55 RESCUE model was a mega-beast>> and I know SPYDUTCH agrees with me on that one :D
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

The Scorpius isn't talked about much. I'd love one with an FRN handle!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Even though it's still in the current catalogue, the P'Kal folder seems to be overlooked by most folks.... But look at the build, the caged BB lock, the S30v blade and the unique (and to my eye far more subtle) pin-type 'wave' opener
I'd be interested to see an SE variant for sure...though one with an all stainless or TI handled model- that'd be very cool

The Phoenix is another that seems forgotten by a lot of folks....again, I'd like to see this re-appear

The Zowada is another little gent's folder that I'd like to see again....Then Renegade too, but more on the broad use spectrum
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Demon,

Good point on the Phoenix. At one point I wanted to get all the original BBL knives. Unfortunately those are some
Of the priciest ones to grab on the secindary market now. The Phoenix, dodo and poliwog are all on this list of forgotten models and don't resurface for sale too often. When they do they aren't cheap either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

demoncase wrote:Even though it's still in the current catalogue, the P'Kal folder seems to be overlooked by most folks.... But look at the build, the caged BB lock, the S30v blade and the unique (and to my eye far more subtle) pin-type 'wave' opener
I'd be interested to see an SE variant for sure...though one with an all stainless or TI handled model- that'd be very cool

The Phoenix is another that seems forgotten by a lot of folks....again, I'd like to see this re-appear

The Zowada is another little gent's folder that I'd like to see again....Then Renegade too, but more on the broad use spectrum
That's three really good examples of what I'm talking about "demoncase" ;) Especially that C-56 ZOWADA model. I have one of the Sprint Run CF editions and it's a superb design to say the least. The C-56 ZOWADA has been in my all time JD'S TOP 10 for quite some time now. It was underappreciated and overlooked even the first time they released it.

The ZOWADA and the C-54 big CALYPSO models are two of Spyderco's best models ever and both of them got overlooked badly. When both of them were released it was a time that many of their top iconic models were also released as well. Those are two prime examples of why I did this thread to begin with. Almost everyone I talk to loves both of those models. Not to mention both were well liked enough that they did Sprint Runs of the C-56 and C-54 both.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Scorpius and Phoenix.Bring'em back.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Well it happened, this thread broke me down enough to finally pull the trigger on the sprint R. She's in the mail. I love the looks of this knife, and the thought of not seeing one available later was scary enough to justify it. Now to find the 2nd generation......
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Jester looks like a cool model I was unaware of:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Take the 2-week Jester Test. Carry a Jester on your keychain, or in your purse or pocket for 14 days then on day 15 leave it home. You'll feel its absence. It offers ergonomic convenience; you forget it's there until you need a knife.

We've notched the blade's spine above the hole with crosshatching as a seat for the thumb while cutting. Another textured section sits on top of the snub nose so your index finger has guiding control over the fine tip. The blade is AUS-6 available in SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. Comes with a black, forest green, lime green or pink FRN handle molded with Volcano-Grip. Clipless. Discontinued Product - No Longer Available."
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:If I could get a Dyad with a H1 serrated blade and a S110V plain edge blade, I'd buy one. I know that's such a long shot I may as well stop typing here, but it would be too awesome to pass up.

Ahhh I think you're on to something there. Unfortunately, I don't think that would ever happen, much like my dream of Spyderco and Benchmade collaborating for one knife. BM got me into the quality folder obsession years ago but I only buy Spydies now days!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:The Jester looks like a cool model I was unaware of:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Take the 2-week Jester Test. Carry a Jester on your keychain, or in your purse or pocket for 14 days then on day 15 leave it home. You'll feel its absence. It offers ergonomic convenience; you forget it's there until you need a knife.

We've notched the blade's spine above the hole with crosshatching as a seat for the thumb while cutting. Another textured section sits on top of the snub nose so your index finger has guiding control over the fine tip. The blade is AUS-6 available in SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. Comes with a black, forest green, lime green or pink FRN handle molded with Volcano-Grip. Clipless. Discontinued Product - No Longer Available."
I've been on the hunt for one for the past two months with no luck (I will not buy on eBay..). I want a G10 or Micarta Jester something fierce but at this point I'd settle for any. I absolutely love my Manbugs but think the Jester is even better. The jimping near the tip sets it apart from the other micros IMO.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

paladin

Post by paladin »

JD Smith flies under most Spyderholics' radar
Reject

Post by Reject »

There’s the Hossom’s.

Love the Spot.

And JD; :rolleyes: how could you forget this classic; the Maddox.
Plus :) it has a great story to it.

How much can a Koala bear?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

dubya3 wrote:I want a G10 or Micarta Jester something fierce but at this point I'd settle for any
Just in case that some of the new forumites here don't know how the Jester Micarta looks like: