Just lost my dragonfly super blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Just lost my dragonfly super blue

Post by Matus »

Hi,

I am coming back after longer time. We have just returned from otherwise great vacation from Norway, however my little Dragonfly in super blue did not come home with us. It was my favourite pocket knife (I since sold my Caly 3.5 in SB and may not keep the burgundy Calypso Jr. either, not sure yet though, it is too beautiful). I found the D'fly worked wonders as little utility knife - I opened countless amount of boxes with it and, in spite of the smallish handle, it also did very respectable job of cutting down cardboard boxes too. I would lie if I would say that I would not want to see a slightly bigger version (mainly bigger handle, the blade is about right IMO)

So, I have decided to get a D'fly again, but I am not sure which one to get. Super blue is getting hard (impossible?) to find so I am left with VG-10, H-1 and ZDP. I am after edge holding, but would prefer brighter color handle. I actually bought the ZDP for a friend as a present and while nice I found the handle too dark. I am wondering whether it would be possible to swap the handle ...

I would appreciate your feedback and opinions.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Willamette

Re: Just lost my dragonfly super blue

Post by Willamette »

Tragic loss to be sure. I can only hope the person that finds your knife will love it as much as you do and enjoys the infection that follows.

Handle swaps are possible on the newer FRN DF knives. Generally it is good practice to swap both the lock bar and blade as they are a matched pair (tuned to work best together). Add to your consideration that your warranty will be void in making such a change.

ZDP would be the way to go for superior edge retention. Get the serrated H1 if you need the corrosion resistance and good edge holding performance. Go with VG10 for ease of sharpening and decent edge retention in a plain edge format.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

If you can wait for a bit there is a HAP40 sprint coming with a burnt orange handle.

Otherwise as another poster mentioned you can do handle swaps and zdp has outstanding edge retention.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just browsed for the HAP40 and that could really be an option! I love the handle color. Any idea when it could be coming out?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...