Looking for a great slicer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Looking for a great slicer

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Googled some older threads about the better Spyderco slicers but most of the ones mentioned are out of production.

Starting to get the hang of getting my knives very sharp and would like to pick up something with a great slicing shape and relatively thin grind. What model that is still in production do you think fits the bill here?

I am thinking maybe a Superblue Stretch. Is there a CF or G 10 Stretch still being made?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Re: Looking for a great slicer

Post by Surfingringo »

The new Phil Wilson bird & trout. I got to handle the prototype at Blade and it is very well executed. Seems much thinner behind the edge than the Southfork (which is already a good slicer in my opinion) and should cut like a lazer.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Nilakka. Nothing else comes close.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

yablanowitz wrote:Nilakka. Nothing else comes close.
I thought about this one having heard about its super thin grind but the look of it does nothing for me.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd also check out the Centofante Memory for a super slicer. Yes, it's a bit higher-end, but the slice-ability (if that's a word :rolleyes: ) is quite phenomenal.
xinam

Post by xinam »

Police 3 g-10. I'd expect that the Native ( I.E. 15 forum knife in s90) would be a good slicer too. The stretch 2 in brown g-10 is still available and is in zdp 189. I can tell you first hand that it's a great slicer! If I had to pick on I'd go for the police, its a great all around knife!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Superblue Stretch is an excellent choice as a great slicer. It's funny though, you can feel the difference in the steels as you slice through some things as it transitions between the SB and the cladding, (not enough to cause a problem, just slightly noticeable, I found this out just the other day while slicing some cheese)
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

spyderg wrote:Superblue Stretch is an excellent choice as a great slicer. It's funny though, you can feel the difference in the steels as you slice through some things as it transitions between the SB and the cladding, (not enough to cause a problem, just slightly noticeable, I found this out just the other day while slicing some cheese)
You said you cut the cheese lol.
xinam wrote:Police 3 g-10. I'd expect that the Native ( I.E. 15 forum knife in s90) would be a good slicer too. The stretch 2 in brown g-10 is still available and is in zdp 189. I can tell you first hand that it's a great slicer! If I had to pick on I'd go for the police, its a great all around knife!
Forgot about the Stretch 2, hmm.

paladin

Post by paladin »

Centofante 3's can still be readily had...

If you want to go the Wharncliffe route...Kiwi 4's are OUTSTANDING and easily acquired...

Good luck on your quest!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nilakka and then the Centofante Memory.
But that darn Nilakka is amazing....
And the K2!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My Nilakka is great, but my SB Stretch is on par with it after the flat convex (top one). Maybe it's even a hair better, because superblue has better edge stability than S30V, and only a 3mm spine compared to the 4mm Nilakka. Impressive price to performance ratio...

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If a slightly smaller blade isn't off your radar you should try a Chaparral...2mm spine thickness makes it an awesome slicer.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Quickbeam

Post by Quickbeam »

The Southfork is very good, as are the Delica 4, Endura 4, Para II, and the Military. All are FFG which helps a lot. f you have the skill then sharpening to a lower angle will improve their ability to slice.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think to some extent it will be hit or miss looking for a knife that has extra high cutting performance.

Most of my Spydercos are somewhere around 0.02" behind the edge, but I've been doing some sloppy manual regrinds (mostly on inexpensive knives) and in general have found that getting them down to 0.01" or less with a very thin edge bevel has made a large difference in performance. Haven't had any durability issues either, although I tend to be pretty easy on them (light cutting, food prep, cardboard, etc...)

The Chaparral is very nice for the thinner stock but the edge thickness was pretty standard on mine until I thinned it out some and convexed the transition between the primary grind and the edge bevel. I am very happy with the performance now, but could definitely feel the difference in trying to grind away the s30v vs. work on softer, lower carbide steels.

I had great luck with the current B70P mule as mine came with a nice lean grind at right about 0.01", but I don't know if the were shooting for thinner edges on these or if I just randomly got one that was ground a bit more.
:spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpyderNut wrote:I'd also check out the Centofante Memory for a super slicer.
I'll second this as well. My favorite slicer by far.

Nilakka is great too but the Memory carries better, IMO, so tends to be with me when I need it.

Ken
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:I'd also check out the Centofante Memory for a super slicer. Yes, it's a bit higher-end, but the slice-ability (if that's a word :rolleyes: ) is quite phenomenal.
+1 I am with Michael and Ken on this. I love this knife and carry few time every week. Ken convinced me in goodness of Memory and I pulle a trigger in December . I am very impressed with it.
Also I am shocked that nobody said magic name of Caly 3.5
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am actually having thoughts in similar direction. How about Hungarian (C173G), or Persian (C83GRD) (the red one looks great, thought it is discontinued and probably hard to find). Both are pricey :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wait for the Hap 40 Delica /Endura. You'll thank me later.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

spyderg wrote:Superblue Stretch is an excellent choice as a great slicer. It's funny though, you can feel the difference in the steels as you slice through some things as it transitions between the SB and the cladding, (not enough to cause a problem, just slightly noticeable, I found this out just the other day while slicing some cheese)
About the same from my Endura in Superblue. You can see the difference too. I cut a lot of cardboard with my SB Endura so the cladding has many scratches but not the Superblue portion of the blade.

So far the my best Spyderco slicer is a Spyderco Santoko kitchen knife, next would be a Mule Team 05 (9Cr18Mo) fixed blade followed by my Des Horn.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Again I'd recommend trying the Cento3. 2mm stock HG VG-10, A delight with an insane edge :eek: And it won't break the bank :D

Charlie