D'Allara 3 bump -> The D'Allara revisited - 11 years later

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Re: D'Allara 3 bump -> The D'Allara revisited - 11 years later

Post by rybu0305 »

Although I have never owned one the D'Allara has always been one of my favorite designs and a grail knife, so to speak. You can imagine my excitement when I saw it released in the 2017 Product Guide. I was so excited I went straight to my favorite knife site and pre-ordered it immediately.

After seeing one of the above pics of the D'Allara beside a Manix it struck me...the Manix and its cbbl is my favorite Spyderco design I own, and the lines of these two knives are more familiar than I thought when seen side by side.

I see the original design has the full back spacers and the new one has the same in keeping with the original design. My initial impression is to want a more open construction like the Manix. I'll need to get one in hands to know for sure. The D'Allara is definitely what I am most excited about in the new catalog.

Thanks OP for bumping this post.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Excellent history lesson Matt, thank you.

I've never been too interested in the D'Allara until I saw the new version in the 2017. It immediately jumped to the top of my list. Now that I have a better understanding of the knifes histroy I'm looking forward to the 3 even more.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

animportant wrote:I was not aware of the contouring, looks sweet. Will the new one have similar contouring, or flat g10?

Great post by the way, sorry to sidetrack with something slightly off topic.
The original's contoured 3-D handles gave some of the best, most positive grip and retention out there. They were perfect for their purpose, which was a "folding fixed-blade" rescue style knife (and later the drop-point which was a fantastic EDC knife).

This one looks to be more targeted towards a slimmer and EDC-friendly profile. The details are still coming out but it looks like the G10 on the D'Allara 3 are "textured" G10 but not 3D or contoured.
Last edited by hudsonhawk on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
sal

Post by sal »

The first run is flat G-10. I like to test designs with slab models before tooling for FRN. The ultimate production model is planned for textured FRN with a slight contour. This will begin once the design and any glitches are sorted.

sal
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

sal wrote:The first run is flat G-10. I like to test designs with slab models before tooling for FRN. The ultimate production model is planned for textured FRN with a slight contour. This will begin once the design and any glitches are sorted.

sal
Sounds like I need to grab a few "first run" ones then :D. Thanks for the insight Mr. Glesser.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I was so excited to see the new D'Allara in the '17 catalog. Very much looking forward to this one!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:The first run is flat G-10. I like to test designs with slab models before tooling for FRN. The ultimate production model is planned for textured FRN with a slight contour. This will begin once the design and any glitches are sorted.

sal
I like G10 but I might just wait for the textured & contoured FRN model.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal
In my perfect world all Spydercos would have some amount of scale contouring. Glad to hear that's the goal with this knife. I never really had any interest in the original until I held one, and then used one, and a big part of why I like mine is the amazing ergonomics. Of all the folders I've owned that one reminds me the most of how nice fixed blade handle usually feels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

As my sig says, I've been anticipating this one for quite a while. My first was the thick FRN rescue version without the smooth ovals under the clip, and I really love the hand filling ergonomics. A few months ago I acquired the slightly thinned version with smooth clip areas and, admittedly, it's much more pocketable, but still very, very comfortable in hand and a really great EDC. I love the large BBL and hope I can afford the G-10 version and the FRN version when it comes out.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Not much to add other than I'm super excited about the D'Allara 3 coming out. I did have a rescue version of the original D'Allara, but moved it on years ago. The upcoming model hits everything I'm looking for.
timlara

Re: Evil D

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote: In my perfect world all Spydercos would have some amount of scale contouring. Glad to hear that's the goal with this knife. I never really had any interest in the original until I held one, and then used one, and a big part of why I like mine is the amazing ergonomics. Of all the folders I've owned that one reminds me the most of how nice fixed blade handle usually feels.
Yup, this is spot on. I'm also very happy to hear the contoured FRN is the long term target!
Tim
animportant

Post by animportant »

Thanks for answering Sal! Looking forward to this!
osprey

Post by osprey »

Looking forward to this and hoping we see it in something more exotic than S30V!
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I know Spyderco makes a model called the Police, but to me, this is the real police model.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Northglenn500 wrote:I know Spyderco makes a model called the Police, but to me, this is the real police model.
You make a fair point.

The Police was one of the first models Sal made, and definitely one of the first that he marketed directly to the police (customers he has long established and cultivated). Many of my friends bought Police knives (even PIGs) from Sal direct from his little store way back when. The C07 Police has a long and honored history with first responders and others, but you make a fair point. Although the Police model was made in the name of, and for police officers, the D'Allara is certainly the same idea. Although it was created in honor of one specific Officer, I believe (for me and others probably) that it has come to represent a knife honoring modern law enforcement and the effect 9-11 had on our country.

The attitude of law enforcement and fire fighters changed on 9-11; both the attitude they had towards their work, and the public's attitude towards them, and marks a change in the way policing in American was done and is done now. I think a new D'Allara is the perfect knife to continue in this vein.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The D'Allara 3, a collector club example, has shown up on eBay in case someone wants to be the first on his block to grab one.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Any word on how many of the G-10 D'Allara 3's are out there? Sounds like they won't be coming back in that configuration so I'm trying to figure out if I should get one. Looks like a great EDC user.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

gunmike1 wrote:Any word on how many of the G-10 D'Allara 3's are out there? Sounds like they won't be coming back in that configuration so I'm trying to figure out if I should get one. Looks like a great EDC user.
Don't know, but I'm enjoying mine. Used it to peel and slice tomatoes for sandwiches tonight. I'm looking forward also to the FRN model. I've got 2 of the older FRN models now, the first one (not counting the WTC model, which I don't have) and the third one, which is considerably lighter and more pocketable than the first model without giving up much at all in gripability -- providing a very comfortable, secure, and powerful grip. So I'm expecting the 4th iteration (of bidirectional FRN handle, again, not counting the WTC) to continue in the trend of providing a good grip, but also being much more pocketable for normal EDC use than the earlier ones.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I found a good deal on one so I picked it up. Pretty disappointing. I expected the difficult to access ball lock. What surprised me was the up/down blade play and the weak self-close. Maybe I got a dud but it's an expensive folder that doesn't really compete at its price point. On the plus side they might be somewhat collectible because of the single run.
I thought about sending it in to warranty but decided that I wouldn't love it even if it functioned properly. So I returned to the dealer.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ABX2011 wrote:I found a good deal on one so I picked it up. Pretty disappointing. I expected the difficult to access ball lock. What surprised me was the up/down blade play and the weak self-close. Maybe I got a dud but it's an expensive folder that doesn't really compete at its price point. On the plus side they might be somewhat collectible because of the single run.
I thought about sending it in to warranty but decided that I wouldn't love it even if it functioned properly. So I returned to the dealer.
Sounds like a dud. The one at my B&M was bank vault tight. Still pricey for what you get though.