Are dealer exclusives ever as desirable as a true sprint run knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

Are dealer exclusives ever as desirable as a true sprint run knife?

Post by dubya3 »

I ask because I just made a deal for a NIB Manix 2 XL carbon fiber s90v exclusive and knowing how rare the Manix 2 CF sprint is I jumped on this one. Well, he had it listed as a sprint and I should have researched it prior to making the deal but later realized it was not a sprint but a dealer exclusive that can be recommisioned at any time and more be made which kind of bummed me out as this was going to be strictly a collectors piece. I gave up a LNIB Chaparral CF/XHP and $150 for it which seemed like a fair deal for a SPRINT but now I'm not as sure. I'm still excited to receive it but lesson learned I guess.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

yablanowitz

Re: Are dealer exclusives ever as desirable as a true sprint run knife?

Post by yablanowitz »

Just because it can be done again doesn't mean it will be. The CPM M4/G-10/TiRIL Military was a Dealer Exclusive that sold out pretty fast and still seems to be sought after. The only DE I recall seeing a second batch of was the black ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. for Moteng.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Cool, so it doesn't generally happen for most DE's from what you've seen? I guess the M2 XL doesnt seem like it's really an extremely popular knife to begin with anyway so maybe I'm needlessly worrying.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

To a flipper, possibly so. To a collector, does not matter
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes, in my experience, they are just as desirable. Look at the forest green CTS-204P Paramilitary 2, which was an exclusive for Knifeworks, just like your Manix, or the M390 (Bento Box Shop) or CTS-XHP (Cutlery Shoppe) PM2s, all of which command prices that are second only to the S90V knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

yablanowitz wrote:Just because it can be done again doesn't mean it will be. The CPM M4/G-10/TiRIL Military was a Dealer Exclusive that sold out pretty fast and still seems to be sought after. The only DE I recall seeing a second batch of was the black ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. for Moteng.
Wasn't there a second run of the 204P Para?

Also, there was rumor (started by the dealer to create more interest) of a second run of the M390 Para.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

dubya3 wrote:Cool, so it doesn't generally happen for most DE's from what you've seen? I guess the M2 XL doesnt seem like it's really an extremely popular knife to begin with anyway so maybe I'm needlessly worrying.
I'm not sure.

The very slow rate that the Manix 2 XLs are selling is a sign to how much the market desires them. They haven't been selling for much over the street price on the secondary market.

There have been some very high demand dealer exclusives, like the S90V Military, S90V Para and XHP Para, but it is determined more by the popularity of the model and the market's opinion of the materials. The Manix 2 XL is not a highly sought after model. There have not been times where the Standard Production version of the Manix 2 XL has been out of stock because the market has cleaned all of the dealers out of them for months. (The Para 2 had this "problem".)

Your worst case is that you will sell it for $20 more than you paid.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In my opinion, when it comes to value on the secondary market, it matter very little whether a knife is a Sprint or an Exclusive. If it is a "limited edition" of very popular model, made with desirable materials, then it will command a premium. If it's something that only seemed like a good idea at the time, it won't, regardless of whether the idea was ours, Sal's, or some third party's.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

yablanowitz wrote:Just because it can be done again doesn't mean it will be. The CPM M4/G-10/TiRIL Military was a Dealer Exclusive that sold out pretty fast and still seems to be sought after. The only DE I recall seeing a second batch of was the black ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. for Moteng.
Pretty sure there were reorders on the green G10/204P Para2 and the blue G10/M390 Para2. At the end of the day, the value depends more on materials (blade steel and handle color/material) than anything else. And as someone pointed out, if you're not anticipating selling, it doesn't matter. :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Supply vs demand. Sprints typically lock down "supply" (at least of a particular combination) and do a decent job on "demand". Exclusives can be reordered until they stop selling. There is also let of a feeding frenzy.

If you want a CPM-M4 Manix2 in tan scales right now it's going to cost you a premium. A blue CPM-S30v sprint might in theory fetch more money but I doubt it. Functionally it's identical to the standard edition available with black scales.

What a sprint or exclusive offers (IMHO) is safety of purchase. Buy one and play with it, keep the box, and you should be able to sell it without losing as much as a standard production run. If you pay $500 for a highly inflated sprint I think your chances certainly are lower of recovery. At least unless the demand continues past it's logic or 10 years from now the materials/labor have grown to where $500 is a good value.

There are more and more midtech and high-quality production knives being made for $400-600. I adore Spyderco and always will. I'm just hesitant to drop half a grand on a PM2 or Manix2. I don't care if it's clad with elf blood and meteorite when the standard one is 1/5th the price. Same reason I wouldn't buy a Jeep Wrangler for $100k if the base one was available for about $20k...it's drastic speculation.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

It really depends on the situation. What the actual total production numbers are, what model, what's unique about it. I don't think the prospect of an exclusive being reordered takes anything away from its value, because it's never certain. Even if a new run is imminent, it doesn't always matter. Look at the BBS PM2, still selling in the $300 range despite the certainty of another run at some point. KW seems to reorder their exclusives more than the others, but that doesn't stop people from still getting $250 for their green PM2. Wasn't last year actually its third run, or just second?

But really, we're only talking about collectors here. I don't consider myself a true collector, and I don't base my decisions on desirability to others, only to myself. I've passed on some great opportunities for some rare finds at decent prices because beyond that, the knife just doesn't appeal to me. If it does, then I only curse it for being rare and thus harder to find and more expensive.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JNewell wrote:
Pretty sure there were reorders on the green G10/204P Para2 and the blue G10/M390 Para2. At the end of the day, the value depends more on materials (blade steel and handle color/material) than anything else. And as someone pointed out, if you're not anticipating selling, it doesn't matter. :spyder:
You could well be correct on the additional runs. As much attention as I pay to the PM2, there could have been fifty runs of each and I wouldn't have noticed.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Good move on your part of its a knife you really want. It's funny how we all view things different.

Sometimes it's just how much we like the knife. My Native 5 S110V CF will never leave. The Super Blue stretch is easily expendable. For some it would be opposite.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

dubya3 wrote:I ask because I just made a deal for a NIB Manix 2 XL carbon fiber s90v exclusive and knowing how rare the Manix 2 CF sprint is I jumped on this one. Well, he had it listed as a sprint and I should have researched it prior to making the deal but later realized it was not a sprint but a dealer exclusive that can be recommisioned at any time and more be made which kind of bummed me out as this was going to be strictly a collectors piece. I gave up a LNIB Chaparral CF/XHP and $150 for it which seemed like a fair deal for a SPRINT but now I'm not as sure. I'm still excited to receive it but lesson learned I guess.

It depends almost exclusively on the steel, since the sprint runs and exclusives are sprints and exclusives in the first place because of their steel offering. S90V and S110V will be the most desired, followed by the rest according to their wear resistance.

That's another reason why I'm so grateful for Sal bringing out so much S90V this half year: all the scumbag sprint hoarders and ebay price scalpers are going to be left hanging in the wind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I couldn't care less how or why a model comes to life, it's all about the materials combo and price.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:Personally I couldn't care less how or why a model comes to life, it's all about the materials combo and price.
Agreed- if the whole knife floats my boat then it's a go-er.
Regardless of exclusivity or route into the world, if it's not to my tastes then it's a no-go.

Simples :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Agree with the Ds. Although perceived demand and future availability definitely affects my buying timeline!

No preorders on standard production! If possible, wait 6 months or so.
Keep an eye out for sprint/exclusive releases, and jump on those at earliest convenience.

Spydie collecting success!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blerv wrote: There are more and more midtech and high-quality production knives being made for $400-600. I adore Spyderco and always will. I'm just hesitant to drop half a grand on a PM2 or Manix2. I don't care if it's clad with elf blood and meteorite when the standard one is 1/5th the price. Same reason I wouldn't buy a Jeep Wrangler for $100k if the base one was available for about $20k...it's drastic speculation.
Dude, the elf blood, meteorite Para's have been selling for $4,000 on ebay lately. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:Dude, the elf blood, meteorite Para's have been selling for $4,000 on ebay lately. :)
They are OUT already!?!

*lights hair on fire. runs into street screaming*
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

demoncase wrote:
Evil D wrote:Personally I couldn't care less how or why a model comes to life, it's all about the materials combo and price.
Agreed- if the whole knife floats my boat then it's a go-er.
Regardless of exclusivity or route into the world, if it's not to my tastes then it's a no-go.

Simples :)
Same here...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi