Is there a Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Is there a Para 3?

Post by flash900 »

Is there a forthcoming, slightly smaller Para 3?

Dealer mentioned it, but I could find nothing to confirm.

Is this a myth?
Sequimite

Re: Is there a Para 3?

Post by Sequimite »

The slightly smaller one is the original Para. Plenty of them out there. I hope they don't mess with perfection.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Para 3 is in the works. Info under Blade show 2015.
reo

Post by reo »

Samaritan or PM3?
Grail: Native "Operation New Dawn"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe the "Para 3" if it's even being called that will be a shorter/smaller version of the Para 2.

Personally, I wish all this manufacturing time and effort were being spent on the Military 2.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:I believe the "Para 3" if it's even being called that will be a shorter/smaller version of the Para 2.

Personally, I wish all this manufacturing time and effort were being spent on the Military 2.
+1, hate to say it... I was looking at this pic I posted in Spydutch's SE PM1 thread and couldn't help but notice how dramatic some of the differences between the first and second generations of the PM. Imagine how crazy a Military 2 would be with a larger lanyard hole, reversible clip options (tip up/down), etc. I'm mixed on upgrading the lock, but I'd sure love to see what a Power Lock Millie looks like! Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal is probably more cognizant of blade length laws and more customer aware than any other manufacturer. Maybe because he lives near Denver that has such laws. This is to put a great knife into more hands legally. I can carry whatever here in AL but applaud the decision
xinam

Post by xinam »

twinboysdad wrote:Sal is probably more cognizant of blade length laws and more customer aware than any other manufacturer. Maybe because he lives near Denver that has such laws. This is to put a great knife into more hands legally. I can carry whatever here in AL but applaud the decision
Even as a fan of bigger knives, I have to say I think you're 100% correct. It's a great move on his part, take a proven seller and make it accomidate a larger fan base. Plus this will hopefully better Spyderco financially which benefits the knife afi :)
Evil D wrote:I believe the "Para 3" if it's even being called that will be a shorter/smaller version of the Para 2.

I've always felt like the military is a solid design, only thing I would like to see is a bigger lanyard tube, that would be easy. What would you change? ?
devine1

Post by devine1 »

twinboysdad wrote:Sal is probably more cognizant of blade length laws and more customer aware than any other manufacturer. Maybe because he lives near Denver that has such laws. This is to put a great knife into more hands legally. I can carry whatever here in AL but applaud the decision
Good morning and Happy Father's Day twinboysdad. I too live in Alabama and have a set of twins. I could not imagine not being allowed to carry any of my knives. To the OP, yes Spyderco is working on a Para3; I played with the prototype @ BladeShow. It's simply a scaled-down PM2 and is sure to be a hit. Granted, it looks to be more than a year away from production.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Personally, I wish all this manufacturing time and effort were being spent on the Military 2.
+1
Sequimite wrote:The slightly smaller one is the original Para. Plenty of them out there. I hope they don't mess with perfection.
+1
There are plenty of 3" bladed spydies, I am not getting why somebody would need one more? If this is compression lock, than there is Yo2 + sage is coming. It is so many of 3" bladed spydies, so even perfect knife like Caly3 didn't survive competition.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree, I would like to see a tip up bolt action full sized Military 1st.
Lots of sub 3" knives already being made.
But the Para2 does steel the show sales wise, so its probably a great idea.
Just not something I could use. Selfish me.......... :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I just don't get this. In the Spyderco naming system a Para 3 would replace a knife that has such high demand that it took a year for production to catch up.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sequimite wrote:I just don't get this. In the Spyderco naming system a Para 3 would replace a knife that has such high demand that it took a year for production to catch up.
It has never been said the 3 was a replacement.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xinam wrote:
Even as a fan of bigger knives, I have to say I think you're 100% correct. It's a great move on his part, take a proven seller and make it accomidate a larger fan base. Plus this will hopefully better Spyderco financially which benefits the knife afi :)

I've always felt like the military is a solid design, only thing I would like to see is a bigger lanyard tube, that would be easy. What would you change? ?
While I don't dislike the liner lock, I would like to see something ambidextrous on the new version so long as it isn't a back lock. I'd also like to see the choil made a bit larger/deeper.
MCM

Post by MCM »

"While I don't dislike the liner lock, I would like to see something ambidextrous on the new version so long as it isn't a back lock. I'd also like to see the choil made a bit larger/deeper."

With the bolt action the choil is almost there. One side anyway. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Let me second the motion on the floor to put the time and effort into a military 2. That is of course not to say I would not buy a para 3 when it arrives. Just a vote in resource allocation/prioritazation.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

swigert wrote:
Sequimite wrote:I just don't get this. In the Spyderco naming system a Para 3 would replace a knife that has such high demand that it took a year for production to catch up.
As I alluded to, Spyderco has never used the same model name with a version number attached that did not coincide with the elimination of the previous version. Why would they, it makes no sense.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Although I'd rather see a LARGER PM3 and/or a Military 2 with bolt action lock and tip up carry, I'll still buy a PM3 just to have. I agree with what's been said, there are already so many ~3" blades that it just doesn't excite me but financially it's a very smart move by Spyderco reaching out to communities that can only carry that sized blade. I almost always carry two knives, a 3 1/2 - 4" blade and a teeny one like my Manbug zdp that sees the most use...
Last edited by dubya3 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sequimite wrote:
swigert wrote:
As I alluded to, Spyderco has never used the same model name with a version number attached that did not coincide with the elimination of the previous version. Why would they, it makes no sense.
Relax, they aren't discontinuing the PM2. Btw, what about the sage 2....and 3 and 4 for that matter? ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Is Para 3 / PM3 more a designation of blade length, similar to Caly 3 and Caly 3.5? Coincidentally it is the 3rd version as well...

I don't understand what the assumption of Paramilitary 3 having much to do with Military being updated or not anyway?

And yeah, what was the "Samaritan"? I now remember hearing mention of that being passed around at Amsterdam, but never saw any photos revealed...? Was it a PM'esque design also?
Going back to Caly.