Any More Double Bladed Spyderco Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Any More Double Bladed Spyderco Folders?

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you know one of my all time very favorite Spyderco folders is the C-44 big Dyad model. For all of you who are new to Spyderville it's a past Spyderco folder with two blades: one fully serrated and one plain edged in a folder with both blades with separate locking mechanisms. I also like it's little Micarta Brother the model C-39 Dyad Jr.>> I especially like the Micarta version>> the FRN Dyad Jr. is not bad either but the Micarta version is truly a gem.

The Dyad models so far are the only Double Bladed Spyderco folders we have had up till now. But I wonder how many of you all would like to see more Double bladed Spyderco Folders in the product pipeline? I am aware that the Byrd line has one Double Bladed folder but I'm mainly talking about the premium Spyderco line.

Now I'm also aware that there was once talk about the possibility of an H-1 Salt Dyad but I heard that they couldn't do it for some reason>> but being there is a new nitrogen based steel that being LC200N which they have used on the TUSK model I'm now wondering if that could pave the way for one? But a rustproof Dyad sure would be a nice addition to the Spyderco main line up. I know my pal SURFINGRINGO would sure like a double bladed, rustproof folder :D I would really love one in the H-1 Salt Series or with LC200N would be great too if it would be possible.

For people who seriously use knives are the workplace a double bladed folder just makes good sense>> and a rustproof Dyad would be a fisherman's dream knife. So let's talk about the possibility of a Double Bladed Spyderco folder and what you all would like to see in one?
spydutch

Re: Any More Double Bladed Spyderco Folders?

Post by spydutch »

For some reason I never tried the Dyad being a Spyderedge purist back in the day, but after my travel in the traditional knife world I got to appreciate a PE blade as well.
That said I would love to try one (small) out in any steel.
What I DID ask for back then was a knife with only the serrated blade of the DYAD. Man I love that blade shape and it SCREAMS Spyderco ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:For some reason I never tried the Dyad being a Spyderedge purist back in the day, but after my travel in the traditional knife world I got to appreciate a PE blade as well.
That said I would love to try one (small) out in any steel.
What I DID ask for back then was a knife with only the serrated blade of the DYAD. Man I love that blade shape and it SCREAMS Spyderco ;)
The really interesting aspect of that serrated blade in the C-44 Dyad model was something that many people that even own the C-44 Dyad overlook>> it's not a typical sheepsfoot blade like those of the Rescue, Assist or the old Mariner models but the sheepsfoot type blade on the Dyad is truly different>> the sheepsfoot blade on the C-44 Dyad has a slight belly to it which results in much more aggressive cutting.

Until I used one for the first time I had no idea how much more aggressive the Dyad SE blade is. Both blades on your C-44 Dyad are not your typcial SE or PE blades. There are no other Spyderco models that have blades like these from what I can tell. Even the PE blade is a very thin clip point blade that can penetrate just about anything.

You wouldn't think that little bit of protruding belly in the SE blade would make a lot of difference but I sure noticed it the first time I ever used it. I truly believe that the C-44 Dyad is a lot more than just a Double Bladed model. Which is why I would personally like to see a new double bladed Spyder of some sort. I just wish that an H-1 Dyad was possible.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I wouldn't care if the second blade required two hands to open. A larger and locking Clipitool would suit me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see a knife with 2 blades that isn't made to be symmetrical like the Dyad. Example may be something like a standard Manix 2 but with a smaller Dragonfly sized serrated blade that folds out the back of the handle, but try to keep the overall shape of the handle the same. I would also prefer that the serrated blade had no thumb ramp at all. In fact, something like the current Kiwi blade would be perfect...small, slim in height, that will tuck completely out of the way and not effect performance of the primary blade/handle at all.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I'd like to see a knife with 2 blades that isn't made to be symmetrical like the Dyad. Example may be something like a standard Manix 2 but with a smaller Dragonfly sized serrated blade that folds out the back of the handle, but try to keep the overall shape of the handle the same. I would also prefer that the serrated blade had no thumb ramp at all. In fact, something like the current Kiwi blade would be perfect...small, slim in height, that will tuck completely out of the way and not effect performance of the primary blade/handle at all.
I tend to like both of those suggestions EVIL>> but wouldn't you entertain the possibility of a Hawkbill Dyad? Or maybe a double bladed Wharnie?

Obviously you aren't a fan of the C-44 Dyad like I am>> but that's cool because not everyone likes the same things and that being a given. But don't you at least like the concept of a premium, double bladed, locking folder?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'd like to see a knife with 2 blades that isn't made to be symmetrical like the Dyad. Example may be something like a standard Manix 2 but with a smaller Dragonfly sized serrated blade that folds out the back of the handle, but try to keep the overall shape of the handle the same. I would also prefer that the serrated blade had no thumb ramp at all. In fact, something like the current Kiwi blade would be perfect...small, slim in height, that will tuck completely out of the way and not effect performance of the primary blade/handle at all.
I tend to like both of those suggestions EVIL>> but wouldn't you entertain the possibility of a Hawkbill Dyad? Or maybe a double bladed Wharnie?

Obviously you aren't a fan of the C-44 Dyad like I am>> but that's cool because not everyone likes the same things and that being a given. But don't you at least like the concept of a premium, double bladed, locking folder?
Oh don't get me wrong, if they ever bring out a Dyan with some crazy steel options, it'll push me over the edge. It isn't that I don't like it, I just have knives that I prefer the blades on over both the Dyad blades, so the concept works but the execution isn't my preference. My biggest gripe is the secondary blade hump sticking out from the gripping area..that's just an ergonomic killer for me. Instead of trying to make both blades equal in size, why not make the secondary blade smaller and in a different shape so it could close within the handle and be out of the way?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Kind of like the Tusk? Except instead of the tool, make it a blade.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Maybe the TUSK platform would work.
Make the main blade the fully serrated DYAD blade and in place of the spike a plain edge Ladybug blade.
G10 handles, any steel from VG10 and up (or H1)
And because the serrated blade of the DYAD resembles a crocodile's head/mouth you could call it the "CROC"
Just an idea ;-)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Kind of like the Tusk? Except instead of the tool, make it a blade.
Hey that's a super idea "LC"!! And SPYDUTCH you really stole my thunder because you're very close to what I'm thinking could be done to modify the TUSK model. Because I've been screaming for the TUSK to be available in a Spyderedged blade ever since it was released. Other than seafaring workers or sailors nobody needs a marlinspike at all. I have a marlinspike on one of my old user blades I have in my footlocker and I've only used it twice in probably ten years.

Yeah they could have two TUSK models one with both blade variants and one with the Marlinspike. I don't think it would take much engineering to alter that either.

The one thing I love about the Dyad and the C-44 model in particular is that you literally have all the cutting edges you need in one knife and that has always appealed to me. Now EVIL D does make a good point in that the C-44 Dyad doesn't have the best ergos of most Spyderco pocket folders but I look at it strictly from a functional aspect alone.

This is why I put this thread up>> I love the concept of a double bladed folder with two blade variants ( SE & PE) but I'm always looking to improve any model out there if possible.