Des Horn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gaj999

Des Horn

Post by gaj999 »

I'd originally planned to buy this one, but put it off and put it off, finally deciding that I had enough knives. As if that were really possible. :D Anyway, thanks to this forum, I got pointed at one for $50 shipped ... and my willpower has definite limits. It just came in an hour ago and I'm really, really impressed. I like Wharncliffes. I like thin pointy tips for removing splinters. This thing really delivers and it fits my hand nicely. Glad I didn't miss this one. It was close. Thanks guys.

Gordon
demoncase

Re: Des Horn

Post by demoncase »

Yes, we're your enablers- You're welcome :)
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Yeah, I got mine about an hour ago too. STP had a great price (probably should have gotten 2). It is very impressive.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, Spydies don't get much thinner and pointier than the Des Horn. Enjoy!
:bug-red-white
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Still waiting on mine to arrive from STP, scheduled to deliver Thursday... It really was a fantastic deal and too good to pass up. Just so happens that I have a wedding to attend Saturday and I'm pretty sure the Des Horn is coming with me.

Question: I've seen a couple old threads alluding to the action getting loose after removing the clip but they don't really elaborate. Can anybody confirm or have I just been misunderstanding?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm picking up mine tomorrow. I've seen one in person years ago but I can't remember exactly how big it is. It seems big/small depending on the person taking the photo. Anyone have a size comparison to say..a PM2?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Mine came in yesterday and at first I didn't know what to think. I liked it, but puzzled over the design. I could easily see myself sliding my index finger off the handle and onto the edge rather easily.

I thought ok, I am just going to have to learn how to use this properly like any other tool and mainly, don't go looking for a choil were one isn't.

First thoughts behind me I commenced to fondle and fiddle (in a manly knife exploring kind of way of course).

Shortly, my concern and confusion were forgotten and I really allowed my hands and eyes to appreciate the design. The fnf is flawless. It is absolutely the smoothest knife out of the box I had ever purchased. The back of the handle pokes my palm a little on close, but again, after a little playing around it fell into my hand in a more suitable fashion.

The opening of the blade begged acknowledgement as well since there is not the normal purchase in the spider hole, but slow rolling that beautiful pointy blade is no problem at all (for a righty) and one can't help but think a gentlemen's (or lady's) knife would be blasphemed with a pronounced flick or spidey drop.

The short of it, after an hour, I was in love.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm picking up mine tomorrow. I've seen one in person years ago but I can't remember exactly how big it is. It seems big/small depending on the person taking the photo. Anyone have a size comparison to say..a PM2?
Here is a quick shot next to the PM2. The back edges were really more closely aligned than the pic implies.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

It's a very interesting knife...love mine. It came scary sharp and the f&f is on point like all the rest of the Taichung spydies.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks Almoe! That's a very helpful photo, and thanks for posting your thoughts. Aside from my Military, I don't own any tip down Spydie's so that will be an adjustment along with the less utilitarian design. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Thanks Almoe! That's a very helpful photo, and thanks for posting your thoughts. Aside from my Military, I don't own any tip down Spydie's so that will be an adjustment along with the less utilitarian design. Looking forward to tomorrow.
You are welcome Liquid. Hope you enjoy yours and looking forward to reading your thoughts and the rest of the folks expecting their arrivals.

Walt Whitman
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What is the suggested retail on the Des HorN? Also I forgot what blade steel they used in that model?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

$199.95 and S30V.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Received it this morning. It is a very nice knife but I don't think I have a place for it in my collection so I'm selling it. I was thinking gentleman's folder, but my CF UKPK and CF Caly 3.5 fill those roles already. Dang.

@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I handled the Des Horn for the first time last year at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I kinda fell in love immediately, but somehow managed to stave off my desire to purchase it. ;) Sigh. I really need a SE black-on-black Pacific Salt... Then, maybe a Des Horn. :)
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I was always skeptical of this one, but I got it as a gift for one of my groosmen and it is fantastic. I am tempted to get one myself!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Took it out of the box today to just have another look and it really is such a nice knife. Decided to keep it, take a photo or two. This will end up as a dedicated desk/envelope opener at work.

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I keep my Des Horn in my desk drawer just for opening letters. It's great for that.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A Des Horn for $50? I could use a third example. A few months ago I was looking for mine to give as a gift. When I could not find the Des Horn I gifted my Spyderco Memory by Frank Centofante and bought a replacement Des Horn. Lo and behold, shortly after the replacement arrived the original appeared. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.