Idea for new Salt/Outdoor model...your opinions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Idea for new Salt/Outdoor model...your opinions?

Post by Surfingringo »

So I made up my mind recently that instead of just always asking for a new Salt knife, I was going to sit down and design one. I was going to take all my experience with the salt folders and my ideas and try to apply them to a new design that would make a solid addition to the Salt family. My idea was not just to come up with a design for fishing, but one that would satisfy the usage requirements for many outdoor activities like hunting, camping, survival...etc. I have spent a good deal of time lately looking at the characteristics i thought were important for such a knife.

Once I started drawing, I decided to look into my current collection for inspiration and ideas. I wanted a design with a slightly negative blade angle. I wanted a large comfortable handle with finger choil and some sort of "birds head" at the butt end of the handle to aid in retention with wet/slippery hands. Blade profile was extremely important too. Something with more belly than the Pacific Salt, but not so much that the tip could not be used for "exacto" type work. I wanted to include a completely flat spine as that works so well for so many "tip out" cutting chores. Etc, etc.

Well, if you haven't figured it out by well, I realized that I wanted a Military. :rolleyes: I finally just put the pen and paper away because I realized that I was not going to be able to come up with a design the was better suited to the requirements I envision for this kind of work. But just because I gave up on the design doesn't mean I don't have some requests....hahah

HERE'S WHAT I WAS THINKING:
A military Salt in linerless FRN...just like the Pacific Salt. Forget about the liner lock and use the backlock or better yet, the new power lock. Flat ground lc200n blade. Ok, I don't want the military purists to throw rocks at me. I realize this wouldn't be a real millie but it just seems like such a simple way to borrow so many of the wonderful characteristics of the Military platform and apply them to a new salt knife. As far as the lock goes, I would personally rather have a good back lock than a liner lock in a knife like this anyway. The backlock of the pacific salt has never failed me, even when gummed up with fish guts and scales. The handle could share the amazing ergonomics of the Military handle. I think the handle scales could be just a hair thicker than the pacific salt handles and have plenty of strength to support the slightly longer blade of the millie.

Anyway, does this idea sound interesting and realistic to anyone? I don't want to waste time talking about an unrealistic fairy tale knife but I don't see any major roadblocks to designing something like this. Its also hard for me to believe that a more affordable frn backlock Military wouldn't be a great seller too. Maybe change the name from military to something "Navy" related? Though an outdoor salt knife is what I have in mind, this design would not be relegated to being a salt only model. If this design were produced in Golden there's no reason it couldn't also become their Military lightweight in s110v. Thoughts?
swigert

Re: Idea for new Salt/Outdoor model...your opinions?

Post by swigert »

I'm in. Has your tusk in lc200n held up as well as the H1?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Swigert, I did a lot of rope cutting and I tested the knife everyday on the ocean for a month. Very good edge retention compared to H1 and no rust issues even after leaving the knife in the wet and salty kayak compartment multiple days. That same compartment will rust any other stainless steel knife I own in 24 hours. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I almost never carry it in the kayak anymore because I'm afraid of losing it. :rolleyes:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If they make the lock and liners stainless enough I'd prefer a liner lock and G10, but I still think the design would work well with a back lock and FRN.

Afaik lc200n would do well as a general purpose steel and sales wouldn't just be limited to us wet and dirty people ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

NoFair wrote:If they make the lock and liners stainless enough I'd prefer a liner lock and G10, but I still think the design would work well with a back lock and FRN.

Afaik lc200n would do well as a general purpose steel and sales wouldn't just be limited to us wet and dirty people ;)
Yes, thats kind of what I was thinking. Kind of a multiple birds with one stone design. An obvious addition to the salt line with lc200n but also a lightweight frn platform for the Military handle and blade. Surely there are some folks that would be interested in that if they started dropping some of the newer and more interesting steel into it.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It would probably be easier production wise to do a current Military with altered steel and ti clip as a test platform. And then do a full remodel, FRN molds etc. if it sell decently. I vote for Orange (yellow G10 is a dirt and blood magnet..)

Afaik an FRN run is very expensive (I think they did the new Stretch in G10 for much of the same reason)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I would be down for a Military Salt model. What if they took a standard G10 military and used titanium for the lock, liners, standoffs etc. That way we could get a military salt with out completely re-inventing the wheel.
Donut

Post by Donut »

A new Military based design might be a good opportunity to try Sal's Stop Lock. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

senorsquare wrote:I would be down for a Military Salt model. What if they took a standard G10 military and used titanium for the lock, liners, standoffs etc. That way we could get a military salt with out completely re-inventing the wheel.
Reinventing the wheel is what Spyderco does! ;)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Surfingringo wrote:
senorsquare wrote:I would be down for a Military Salt model. What if they took a standard G10 military and used titanium for the lock, liners, standoffs etc. That way we could get a military salt with out completely re-inventing the wheel.
Reinventing the wheel is what Spyderco does! ;)
This is true, they are indeed very good at re-inventing wheels. I was thinking more along the lines of keeping costs down and quick turnaround since there wouldn't be any redesign or retooling involved. I do think a military based frn knife with back lock would be pretty sweet.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd almost certainly buy something like what you're describing. It might just be easier though for Spyderco to machine a few Millie blades out of lc200n and fit them into the Ti-Millie platform as the simplest test as to whether a knife like this would sell...maybe some simple texturing on the handles to enhance grip too. Something simple like a checker pattern so as not to add as much cost as a more elaborate pattern like the existing fluted Millies.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

I like your idea, almost like a Pacific Salt XL...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I'd almost certainly buy something like what you're describing. It might just be easier though for Spyderco to machine a few Millie blades out of lc200n and fit them into the Ti-Millie platform as the simplest test as to whether a knife like this would sell...maybe some simple texturing on the handles to enhance grip too. Something simple like a checker pattern so as not to add as much cost as a more elaborate pattern like the existing fluted Millies.
I have considered and even campaigned for something like this or the idea that nofair mentioned about putting ti or fully stainless liners in the g10 model. I would be elated with that and would absolutely buy one but I don't think it is as good of a long term design for a knife like this. You would probably be looking at $200 plus for a knife that is made as a down and dirty user. One of the things I love most about my salts is I never feel the need to baby them. Part of that is because they are so tough but a big part is because of their lower price point. The Pacific Salt can be bought for $75. The frn Native and Manix for similar prices. I was hoping that a frn Millie like this could be made and offered around the $100 price point. I would absolutely buy a fancy g10 or ti Military salt but I suspect it wouldn't enjoy the same carefree hard use that my pacific salt does. I hate to admit that but its probably true. Price matters in a knife like this...at least to me.
dwong

Post by dwong »

Already got a Millies so would like a Yellow FRN Endura in Combo Edge, H-1, Emerson hook.
That be the style think I could afford atm.
brick

Post by brick »

Sounds good to me, especially if it comes in bright yellow. I've been tempted to get some form of Salt just to have a knife that I can casually put down for a moment in the dirt and leaves without spending 5 minutes finding it again. Not that I've done that or anything. (About a thousand times...)
-Tim
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I'm totally in. I suggested something similar (minus the H1 or equivalent steel idea), for a military model months back.
Your idea is even better than what I wanted (economy steel, micarta, backlock or the new type of backlock).
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ha, you know me. I'm all in when it comes to anything Salt related. ;) I like the idea of redesigning the Millie for Salt applications and I think the back-lock with H1 would be an appealing package. (IIRC, Sal mentioned a while ago that H1 would not work well in a Liner-Lock/RIL configuration, which is one reason they introduced the LC200N steel).

Anyone else interested in seeing a black-on-black full SE Salt Millie? :D :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:I'd almost certainly buy something like what you're describing. It might just be easier though for Spyderco to machine a few Millie blades out of lc200n and fit them into the Ti-Millie platform as the simplest test as to whether a knife like this would sell...maybe some simple texturing on the handles to enhance grip too. Something simple like a checker pattern so as not to add as much cost as a more elaborate pattern like the existing fluted Millies.
I have considered and even campaigned for something like this or the idea that nofair mentioned about putting ti or fully stainless liners in the g10 model. I would be elated with that and would absolutely buy one but I don't think it is as good of a long term design for a knife like this. You would probably be looking at $200 plus for a knife that is made as a down and dirty user. One of the things I love most about my salts is I never feel the need to baby them. Part of that is because they are so tough but a big part is because of their lower price point. The Pacific Salt can be bought for $75. The frn Native and Manix for similar prices. I was hoping that a frn Millie like this could be made and offered around the $100 price point. I would absolutely buy a fancy g10 or ti Military salt but I suspect it wouldn't enjoy the same carefree hard use that my pacific salt does. I hate to admit that but its probably true. Price matters in a knife like this...at least to me.
I agree...though I think the tooling for a FRN "Millie Salt" could be prohibitive in and of itself, unless a trial of some sort proves that the demand exists. I'd sooner have a "FRN Lockback "Navy"" Salt version of the Millie than a TI-Salt version, but given the tooling costs I don't see it being a first step. G10 scales with Titanium liners would be a good middle ground though, and probably a little cheaper than a Ti-Salt-Millie, but I don't see it being much cheaper. Perhaps I'm a little pessimistic today.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm with you on that Surf, and I will add this: I would prefer it in FRN or similiar. I know G10 is good and more power to the pro G10 people but I think something like that would benefit from FRN. Then again, G10 is glass fiber based and is good for water use. My concern would be gripping a G10 scaled knife in wet/watery conditions as opposed to a FRN one.

Great thoughts and design ideas, man! Keep up the great work! :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the idea of a millie salt and your choice of steel. The back lock is one of my favorites (I don't like liner locks much). What about using the compression lock?
Also, they would need to make the innards of the thing of some rust proof material, perhaps lc200? One more thing, they would need to keep the price down because people would be afraid to fish with a $200 knife (or even $150).

For that matter, they could simply modify the Endura (not the current PS) to have a different blade shape and use lc200.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050