Your top 2 Spyderco folders and WHY.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Your top 2 Spyderco folders and WHY.

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes, we are going to play this tired old game again...

If you could only keep TWO Spyderco folders, what would you choose and why? I am actually more interested in the "why" than the "what" here. I think we all have different uses and requirements for our folders and i'm always interested to hear other perspectives. Lets keep it to folders only.

For me it would be:

1. Pacific Salt (serrated): This one is a must for me as I spend so much time on the ocean. Perfect folder for my ocean lifestyle and even if I had to choose only one this one would probably win by default given how much it gets used compared to my other folder.

2. Paramilitary 2: If i could only have two then my second choice would need to be a great all around plain edged knife. The Paramilitary 2 would win out over many other favorites.

Those are my choices based on my needs but others will see this much differently. Some will favor prettier options, some will want a smaller option, some will want something for SD...whatever. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
JD Spydo

Re: Your top 2 Spyderco folders and WHY.

Post by JD Spydo »

I base my two selections of Spyderco knives I like the best on function and a blade I just enjoy using. My two all time favorite Spyderco folders are the C-44 Dyad and my C-60 Massad Ayoob ( PE & SE). Both folders are very functional, practical and useful for many jobs.

In a way I'm surprised more people haven't gravitated toward that C-44 Dyad because it's all the knife many would ever want or need. The C-60 Ayoob is so ergonomic and so useful>> not to mention it's a great hunting folder. I would love a smaller version of the AYOOB.

It's interesting that you would have a thread like this because it baffles me as to why many people buy knives>> because a lot of people buy knives simply because they are cool looking>> not because they are useful, practical or beneficial for their everyday duties. That's why I like Spyderco so much because each one of their knives have some practical job that they are great for. And they are built to last a lifetime.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

1. Paramilitary 2. Because its awesome, and the Para 3 isn't available yet.

2. Double Bevel. Because if I got rid of it my wife would kill me.

Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Centofante 4
Centofante 3

Because they fit my hand and my needs perfectly.

Gordon
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's a tough one.

1.Old school Police SS,SE: it embodies the Spyderco spirit for me.Most iconic Spyderco folder IMO; any Spyderco collector should own an old school Police

2.Pacific Salt,SE (with a pointy tip): as I said before, it has everything I need and almost everything I want in a folder, it's light, fast in the hand, versatile, has terrific cutting power,it's the one I'd take with me in a trip around the world or the one I'd like to have on me in a catastrofic scenario.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Orange G -10 Dodo. The fit of the knife in my hand the elegant design and light weight, and the fact it can be deployed in the Dark.

Drop point serrated Meerkat. The sturdiness of the little knife and ergonomics blow the Drogaonfly 2 out of the water for me personally, It rides clipped out of sight in my cargo pocket on patrol and off duty,
image.jpg
image.jpg
brick

Post by brick »

My #1 is easy: Pingo. I might not have been turned on to it if I didn't have NY's idiotic and ambiguous knife laws to worry about, but it's a great design in its own right. The truth is that maximum utility and minimum threat factor would appeal to me even without legal stuff hanging over my head. That's "how I roll," so to speak. I'm eagerly awaiting a Ti/Elmax variant. For this thread I'll assume that only one would stay (and which one doesn't matter since I haven't handled the sprint yet.)

#2 is difficult. Since a Pingo is my perfect EDC I think I would have to go with something that copes with tasks beyond EDC. I'm talking about the "hard use/beater" stuff that I had in mind for the thread from a couple weeks ago. I usually use my UKPK for those tasks but I'll sometimes use one of my few "others" (with a secure lock) since some tasks really, truly require a locking blade. So I don't know. If I'm going to stick with unequivocally NY-legal blades I'd probably go with some sort of fixie.

And yes, for those of you following along at home I did just convince myself that I either need to move or buy yet another knife since I own no fixed blades. And I just refinanced so I ain't moving. ;)
-Tim
paladin

Post by paladin »

Good thread! :)

#1 Caly Jr. VG-10...my constant companion IWB or RFP. Enough belly, enough point, quite thin for sliceability, durable FRN with great fishscale texture. So light it's forgettable, but so useful it's never forgotten.

#2 Military Cruwear with Cuscadi canvas mic. Anso text. handles & Ti standoffs....Can do everything my Caly Jr. can and is still very lightweight with the mods. The Millie has the added benefit of Cruwear steel and great serviceablility-- very easy to fieldstrip. The longer, but svelte blade offers more reach when needed, additionally. I appreciate the infinitely adjustable pivot-- I like a stiff pivot. Plus I can open/close the blade with economy of movement due to Spyderco ergonomics & Walker linerlock--- quintessential Spyderco form & function at it's best, IMHO.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Cutting apples, bread, cheese... I really need 3.5" or greater. I'll go with the one I carry the most, the Southard, which pretty near maximizes the edge length on a 3.5" blade. The belly makes it a good rope cutter as well and despite the strong tip I've used it to cut out a stencil like an x-acto razor. My SB Caly 3.5 slices like a laser but the Southard is more versatile.

I'll make the second knife a 3" blade as I travel into some towns with that limitation. I'd be happy with my PPT or Sage 1 but will give the nod to an old standby, my Lil' Temp.

I'm on salt water and have several H-1 fixed blades and folders, but my favorite H-1 designs are fixed blades. I carry a Caspian when boating and perhaps a Spyderhawk Salt if I know I'll be cutting rope.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Native5 (forum edition or CF) and C83 Persian. Both knives have fantastic ergos and fit into my hand like a glove. I love aesthetics and love how they cut.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Manix 2 (CE) -- this is a pretty sturdy, versatile knife and lands in my pocket by default. But it's large enough to catch attention in some office environments, which happened this week.

??? -- well, this is what keeps me hunting. Something smaller and sexier than the Manix 2. Maybe the new FRN Native. Maybe an old stainless Rescue Jr that's visiting Golden at the moment. Maybe the new G10 Stretch. Or the upcoming Positron. Who knows!
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Black PE Pacific Salt - i like it basically for being virtually weightless for its size. has a care-free blade that is long enough to take care of the basic food slicing which i could take anywhere even when im hiking, running or swimming. i only wish an FFG version is available to make slicing more easier.

VG10 delica 4 FRN - blade is ok enough for general EDC purposes. looks plasticky at first glance but once you hold and use it, you can really feel the toughness in such a small package and it just feels so good in my hands. the only problem with it is that i find the blade a bit short specially when im cutting food.

i have an FRN VG10 stretch on the way.. lets see if it can kick out the d4 out of my pocket if its weight and pocketability wont be much of an issue.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

1. Dragonfly 2 frn because it is so lightweight, has the frn scales which I prefer over standard G10, a thin leaf-shape blade of VG10, and outstanding ergonomics. It goes with me everywhere, clipped or in the front pocket. It slices like a light saber and fits my hand like a much bigger knife. And, it's just freaking cool.

2. Para Military 2 because everyone needs a bigger knife for those times when we need a bigger knife and it is legal for "concealed carry" here in Colorado. I handled one in SFO and it fits my hand in a most friendly fashion, the G10 texture on this one is just right — not as "slick" as the G10 on my former Tenacious, but not so rough as to be uncomfortable or be hard on my pants. It has the reputation of being tough, sharp and good at about any knife task I would ever need. It should be here Monday.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I'm not going to play the "if you could only have..." game, and I don't pick A favorite, but I can pick more than one that I like. I believe I have 9 different spyderco folding models, with multiples of some of them. Out of that bunch I could say that my favorite 2 are the Manix 2 and the Para 2. In the Manix 2 I have M4, Cruwear and S110V steels. In the Para 2 I have S30V and CTS204 steels. I have a lot of other knives that I like but I could do well with just these 2 models if I had to.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bdblue wrote:I'm not going to play the "if you could only have..." game, and I don't pick A favorite, but I can pick more than one that I like. I believe I have 9 different spyderco folding models, with multiples of some of them. Out of that bunch I could say that my favorite 2 are the Manix 2 and the Para 2. In the Manix 2 I have M4, Cruwear and S110V steels. In the Para 2 I have S30V and CTS204 steels. I have a lot of other knives that I like but I could do well with just these 2 models if I had to.
This thread is also showing me a huge trend leaning toward Spyderco's GOLDEN,CO USA Earth Spyders. The Manix, Para 2, Military ect,. Yes there is something special about those USA made Spyders and I do believe that their popularity is growing fast.
MCM

Post by MCM »

CF S90V Military drilled & tapped tip up. (Its big sharp and light)
CF / ZDP Stretch with Dinosaur jimping. (It slim sharp & works)
--------------------------------------------------
3rd in no order
CF Michael Walker ZDP 189
Gayle Bradley Air
M4 military
All CF & S90V. Para2, Manix2 & XL, Mule
Temp 2
Southfork
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I will interpret "top" to mean gets the most carry time. I am very happy with all 9 of my Spydercos. The top is my Dragonfly because I work in a building that restricts how large a knife I can carry. My second most carried Spyderco is a rotation between my FRN Native 5, my Sage 1, and my Damascus steel Delica. These are my perfect sized EDC's.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Right now it seems to be my S35VN PM2 as it ends up in my pocket more than any of the others, its just perfect, fits my hand like it was made for it, great blade shape and stays sharp forever. Then the Gayle Bradley folder, such a great knife for the money and it's built like a tank yet beautiful.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I have a modified Southard I'd include with a Timascus Bolster and LSCF handle but I don't think that's fair.

I must say the Yojimbo 2 is a regular carry for me. Love the compression lock, ergos, and the fact it's both a great tool for cutting and self defense.

Even though in another thread I said the Caly 3 is one of my favorite and near perfect knives...I think number 2 might be the Techno. I use it at my second job regularly and it's great because it cuts really well, is small enough to be easy to carry, and it can take a beating.

The problem for me is that I love so many Spyderco knives. The DF2, Slysz Bowie, Caly 3, Domino, Manbug, Manix 2, and Native 5 are all knives I revisit often.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I'm sure a few here know I'm an Endura fan above all, but my two favorites are: (not in order, depends on the day)
1. BG42 Military. I never thought the military could handle constant use, day in day out until I just started using this one. Like the steel, like the handle. It's also reprofiled to 30 from my 204 nicely. Military's are a super reliable knife to edc.
2. Police ATS-55 SE. Super cutting power, and broken in on my 204 as well. Not crazy about the corrosion resistance of the steel, but its an awesome knife.
One SE, one PE...love them both.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder: