Your top 2 Spyderco folders and WHY.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Re: Your top 2 Spyderco folders and WHY.

Post by spydutch »

1. Military in full Spyderedge because it looks like Spyderco took my hand and molded the knife after that. Furthermore it has my absolute favourite lock. Easy to operate and no developping vertical play ever. Still allowed to carry over here but might get me in trouble because of size.

2. Cricket SS/SE. Absolutely THE best knife Spyderco ever made period IMO. It's small, non threathening, frame lock and however you hold the knife it always feel comfortable and secure. Besides that it cuts like a laser.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Pick two? An absurd task, but I'll play.

1. Military - It's big, relatively very light, comfortable, and super versatile. It can do most everything a smaller knife can do, and then tons more since it's so big. It's probably the only knife I'll ever need. Mine is in Cruwear, which is a great steel.

2. Southard - It's freaking gorgeous, carries incredibly slim, comfortable, capable, and made of my favorite steel. I love flippers for high volume knife use days. I open, use, close, and pocket it without even really thinking about it. It has become very much an extension of my hand.

But really, this list could change day to day. I think it's remained pretty consistent over the threads that I've participated in, but still I fall in love with whatever knife is in my pocket for the day. Fortunately I'm unbiased right now as I haven't even put pants on yet, let alone picked a knife.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Just a placeholder to return later. My list of top Spydercos is about to change after I receive the GB2 and maybe another goodie :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If I had to pick 2 knives then they would be:

1. Cruwear Military
2. Manix lw s110v

These 2 give me a stainless and non-stainless option. I have decent results sharpening them and edge retention is very good. For edc and work they cover all my needs. When Spyderco release the midnight blue s110v lw Native I think it would replace the Manix though, the smaller blade being a tiny bit more sheeple friendly :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Difficult to say, my favorites change daily... :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
swigert

Post by swigert »

If I had to pick 2....

Slysz Bowie

SE Pcific Salt

I think I could do it all with these 2. But then again if I had to I could get by with ladybugs lol.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

1. CALY 3.5. Cause its the best knife ever made and cuts better than any other knife I have.
2. Much harder, but probably vallotton because its so darn beautiful.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

swigert wrote:If I had to pick 2....

Slysz Bowie

SE Pcific Salt

I think I could do it all with these 2. But then again if I had to I could get by with ladybugs lol.
Didn't you begin this journey with the pacific salt? You've got a lot of fancy ones now that I know you like...does my heart good to see the ole Pac Salt still up there. ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tough call. It runs counter to the Spydiechase that puts me here. Moreover, I favor all the thirty or so I have carefully acquired, any one of which might be my absolute favorite on a given day (as I am partial to M4, an FFG leaf, a choil, a thumb ramp, jimping on both, a flow-through handle, a compression lock, an absolute favorite is close but not there).

So, to narrow it down to two, I would have to say, first off, that each knife should do some tasks better than the other, and that both knives should always be within reach, so I never feel ill-equipped.

And since we're talking Spyderco, not other brands, my selection really ought to highlight what sets Spyderco apart: variety and boldness in both designs and materials; CQI; enduring allegiance to both producers and aficionados; a reverence for history.

In light of all these things, I think the essence of Spyderco, as a tool and as an experience, is together captured in the recently-sprinted brown G10 Stretch2 in FFG ZDP-189 (enough belly in the plain-edged blade for skinning; enough of a drop point for cutting while sliding the blade on its spine), and in the yellow FRN Atlantic Salt in wharnified and Spyderedged hollow-ground H1.

I could live happily with these two, if I had to.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Rapidray

Post by Rapidray »

The two that I carry on me at work and well, all the time lately...

1. The Dragonfly with the orange handle, which will be replaced with the G10 model when it comes in, as it is on order. Then my son will get this one. This is the blade I use all the time for all my cutting needs. Light enough to carry in my shirt pocket and customers are clueless that it is a knife. When not working it is in my 5th pocket/coin pocket of my blue jeans not clipped, completly hidden.
2. The Matriarch 2 because it will be there when I need it. Which hopefully I will never need.

The Dragonfly has really impressed me with how well handles my cutting needs. Enough so that I can't wait for the G10 to get here. And those are my 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manix 2 LW S110V, Dragonfly H1/SE.

Because between those two I can handle pretty much anything my life throw at me, short of chopping down trees and stabbing car doors. They both weigh very little (even combined), I have both edge types, I have long term edge retention, I have slicing, I have ambidextrous locks on both, I have wire clips on both (which I usually prefer depending on the knife), I have great and excellent corrosion resistance, I have length in the Manix when I need it, and inconspicuous people friendly small and yellow happy knife when I need it. Aside from all out pry a door off the hinges strength, I can't really ask for more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Manix 2 LW S110V, Dragonfly H1/SE.
No Yo2??????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Because between those two I can handle pretty much anything my life throw at me, short of chopping down trees and stabbing car doors. They both weigh very little (even combined), I have both edge types, I have long term edge retention, I have slicing, I have ambidextrous locks on both, I have wire clips on both (which I usually prefer depending on the knife), I have great and excellent corrosion resistance, I have length in the Manix when I need it, and inconspicuous people friendly small and yellow happy knife when I need it. Aside from all out pry a door off the hinges strength, I can't really ask for more.
Thats a well thought out and attractive combo.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

To be totally practical about it, I'd pick the Para 2 and Dragonfly. That should cover just about all my needs for folders.
:bug-red-white
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've avoided answering this because it pains me to do it, but I have to pick:
-Manix XL (non-skeletonized)
-Delica 4 (orange)

The Delica would handle the vast majority of my foreseeable cutting chores. I really haven't found that I've ever needed a larger or smaller knife than the Delica, and the high vis orange keeps me from losing it and makes people feel less intimidated by it I think. The FRN+spoon clip retention is awesome in almost all carry scenarios I've encountered, and it can even be carried IWB if needed. The Delica was my first ever spyderco, and would probably be the last one to go if I just plain needed a knife.

The Manix XL fits my hand like no other knife, and would be the knife for those unforeseeable cutting chores. My version happens to be the old non-skeletonized one with the clear button, and the F&F is out of this world. I fell in love with it from the first, and although it isn't very practical to carry often, it's a joy to use. I've removed the clip on mine, since it's big enough in the pocket to retrieve without one. There are some times you do need a bigger blade, and this one gets my vote.

I hate to leave out the R, which is like a larger Delica with a choil, but the retention on the nishijin isn't always the most reliable. Perhaps if they came out with another scale material, it would replace the Delica. I hate to leave out the Sage 3, I just love the bolt action lock, and it is a great EDC size, but same deal with the retention and it's a bit heavier to be the lighter knife. I hate to leave out the Yojimbo, but again, it's not a large blade and the Delica is more compact and versatile. I hate to leave out the PM2, but the Delica is more compact, and it's not as big as the XL. I hate to leave out the Southard, but it's not as light as the Delica, and it's not as beefy in the hand as the XL (although the edge is amazingly almost exactly the same length).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:1. Military in full Spyderedge because it looks like Spyderco took my hand and molded the knife after that. Furthermore it has my absolute favourite lock. Easy to operate and no developping vertical play ever. Still allowed to carry over here but might get me in trouble because of size.

2. Cricket SS/SE. Absolutely THE best knife Spyderco ever made period IMO. It's small, non threathening, frame lock and however you hold the knife it always feel comfortable and secure. Besides that it cuts like a laser.
OK Spydutch my friend I guess I better weigh in on this one because you truly put up a challenge that I shouldn't ignore :D For my favorite two Spyderedged folders and believe me there are a few occasions where I will work with a pair of Spyderedged blades like I did when I worked in that auto modification shop.

My top two with teeth are the original 440V, SE Native ( Golden USA made) and the other one is my stainless RESCUE model that I got from a really great pal here at Spyderville. Well Arend it looks like it's maybe just you and me being ambassadors for the folders with teeth :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD Spydo wrote:
spydutch wrote:1. Military in full Spyderedge because it looks like Spyderco took my hand and molded the knife after that. Furthermore it has my absolute favourite lock. Easy to operate and no developping vertical play ever. Still allowed to carry over here but might get me in trouble because of size.

OK Spydutch my friend I guess I better weigh in on this one because you truly put up a challenge that I shouldn't ignore :D For my favorite two Spyderedged folders and believe me there are a few occasions where I will work with a pair of Spyderedged blades like I did when I worked in that auto modification shop.

My top two with teeth are the original 440V, SE Native ( Golden USA made) and the other one is my stainless RESCUE model that I got from a really great pal here at Spyderville. Well Arend it looks like it's maybe just you and me being ambassadors for the folders with teeth :cool:
Nonsense JD...at least three more of us included the se pacific salt in our top two. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:
No Yo2??????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Surprising huh? For general EDC, I do actually prefer my Manix 2 LW. It's a very close race, and if the LW had never come out in S110V I probably would stick with the Yo 2. The blade on the Manix has a straight enough blade that it has close the same amount of cutting power as a wharnie, and works well with "carpet knife style cuts" or cuts using just the tip without having to angle the handle way up to get the tip down, and yet it has just enough belly to be much more versatile than a wharnie. I do vastly prefer the handle on the Yo 2, but I think at this point the CBBL lock has me won over just a little more than the compression lock. I've been saying for years now if I could get a Manix 2 blade in a Yojimbo 2 handle, it would be the epitome of knife designs for me. This is why someday if I ever get the tools or find a maker who can make me a solid G10 Manix 2 handle, I'm going to reshape the entire thing into a Yojimbo 2 handle and make that combo a reality.
Mgj48

Post by Mgj48 »

1) Stretch VG-10. Blade length , size , and mainly ERGOs fit my hand and pocket perfectly.

2) tough choice between Pac salt and Salt 1. Carry both on the boat but also carry Salt 1 on a tether while I wadefish. Don't go fishing without them both. Probably would pick the Salt 1 for versatility but only because it rides my wade belt well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Nonsense JD...at least three more of us included the se pacific salt in our top two. ;)
You're right SURF :o But I did at least get a couple of people to take notice :D

And I'll bet most of your H-1 Salts are SE? Spyderco has such a rich history of great Spyderedged folders I just couldn't sit by content when I saw so few of them in SE. I remember one buddy from a couple of years ago he told me that his favorite folder was the D'ALLARA from back in the mid 2000s>> which I believe was only available in SE from what I'm told.

But I got to admit there has been some very impressive posts and top notch recent models on this thread and I didn't expect that many either. LONG LIVE THE SPYDEREDGE!!