Favorite ( or best IYO ) fixed blade.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BTG

Favorite ( or best IYO ) fixed blade.

Post by BTG »

Besides a few Kitchen knives , I only have two fixed blades, (Street Bowie,mule 19) and plan on getting another...soon...would probably only carry in the woods, hiking or camping. The ones I've been attracted to are , Bushcraft, Southfork, and Temperance 2....really prefer leather sheaths so leaning away from the Southfork, unless it's far superior to the other two.
So are these good knives for this application, or am I missing something more Ideal ?
BTG

Re: Favorite ( or best IYO ) fixed blade.

Post by BTG »

Sorry, somehow ended up in the wrong place....don't know how I did that.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'd create a new topic. This one might not be moved quickly.
BTG

Post by BTG »

swigert wrote:I'd create a new topic. This one might not be moved quickly.
Was thinking about it, but I don't know how this one ended up here, so what's to stop the next one from doing the same thing, plus...already made up my mind on the Temperance 2...just have to make sure it the new Leather sheathed one, not last years kydex.
Catabis

Post by Catabis »

I have both the Bushie and the South Fork. I prefer the sheath on the South because its easier to draw from, but the Bushie's O1 steel takes a scary mean edge, I have mine at a 26deg inclusive and it is a beastly cutter and wood splitter. The Souths S90V steel is freaking awesome too and may hold a shaving edge longer, but I wouldn't know because I never let a knife get that dull and have no intentions of ceasing my knife maintenance to find out. I don't have a solution to your problem, but I will lend you my solution, I carry both daily so that I have a choice when I need to cut. If the object to be cut is fine and easy I use the South Fork, if the object needs brute strength or chisel type cutting I reach for my Bushie.
The Pen is mightier than the Sword....until I cut your hand off.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I only have one fixed blade spydie, a MULE 18 and so far haven't used it for its intended purpose (deer processing) but one that really catches my eye is the new Profecient in CF and s90v. At ~$300 I'm not sure it's something I NEED but I'd love to have one. I'll probably stick with the MULE series though, especially when I can get 3 new ones for less than 1 Profecient.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is an older Spyderco fixed blade that I'm still fanatical about even after over 10 years of usage>> I'm speaking of the FB-05 TEMPERANCE 1 model. I have both the PE & SE versions of that great blade and it's one of the very few outdoor type Spyders that was ever available in Spyderedge. They both have VG-10 steel but the heat treat on these are super because I can get super sharp edges on both that last quite a while.

I've got my eyes out for a SOUTHFORK myself and another one of those PERRIN designs i.e. the STREETBOWIE. But I will never get rid of my TEMP 1 models and they still look really nice after many, many uses over the years. I truly wish they would bring that blade back in Sprint with a newer/better blade steel>> it would make a great affordable Spyderco fixed blade. They do show up for sale once every so often and I'm here to tell you that they are a great all around fixed blade.

I also love PERRIN's design STREETBEAT which is a handy small fixed blade also with VG-10 steel and it's a great EDC blade. In the past 6 years or so Spyderco has really made an impact in the fixed blade sector. I'm really looking forward to what comes down their pipeline.
swigert

Post by swigert »

South fork here
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Most used: Spyderedged Aqua Salt.
Favorite: Burgundy Lum tanto. I don't know why I like it. I'll never use it, it's just too dang pretty.
Honorable Mention: Rock Salt. Perfect for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I'm really loving the ergo's and blade on my new Serrata, the pictures never do it any justice. :p
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Southfork for me but I look at it from the standpoint of skinning and cleaning game and fish. If you are looking for more of a camping/utility knife then the temperance might be the call. That new leather sheath for the Temperance is indeed a thing of beauty.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Surfingringo wrote:Southfork for me but I look at it from the standpoint of skinning and cleaning game and fish. If you are looking for more of a camping/utility knife then the temperance might be the call. That new leather sheath for the Temperance is indeed a thing of beauty.
That Southfork is nice, I tend to pick one up for mostly use around the kitchen, also agree with you about the new Temperance sheath it is really nice looking now I must get one arrggghhhh, the insanity.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Without a doubt, the Temperence 2.

(I'll have the new T2 leather sheath pics up today :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own any, so my opinion is purely based off aesthetics, but I really like the Bushcraft, REALLY like the Serrata, Street Beat, and Southfork. Out of all of those, the Serrata interests me the most, but again that's purely aesthetics. I have played with a Street Beat and it's a sweet little knife.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I don't think there's a dog in the bunch, but I can't have them all. The Bushcraft , Temperance, and Serrata all look like knives I would use/enjoy, but I already have a South Fork, a couple of Mules, and a scattering of fixed blades from other makers. I don't mind having a bit of a collection, but still feels like I'm near the saturation point on FBs at the moment...
:spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nate wrote:I don't think there's a dog in the bunch, but I can't have them all. The Bushcraft , Temperance, and Serrata all look like knives I would use/enjoy, but I already have a South Fork, a couple of Mules, and a scattering of fixed blades from other makers. I don't mind having a bit of a collection, but still feels like I'm near the saturation point on FBs at the moment...
Ha I'm with you there, brother! I have a strange fascination with Spyderco's fixed blade line-up, even though I rarely find myself using them. My (B75P) Mule gets the most use by far, but it's plain jane and doesn't really excite me. My current favorite is my Aqua Salt, although it sees minimal use. I have a feeling that once the Sprig comes out, that will be my answer.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Well. Thought I'd decided....then I saw the proficient....now not so sure....oh well I guess I'll stew on that one a bit, (South fork, Temperance 2, or Proficient)... however... I think I'll pick up a temperance 2 leather sheath for my mule, I know it will be a little deep for the mules blade length, but was reading here that they will work together, so I think I'll give it a shot...
Nate

Post by Nate »

tvenuto wrote: I have a feeling that once the Sprig comes out, that will be my answer.
Shoot, I keep forgetting that's on the way... The Sprig will probably be purchased, but I'd like to see it side by side with the South Fork first if possible. It might be closer to the SF in size than I would prefer if I'm going to have both, but it looks like the grind and price point will make it hard to resist even if it isn't exactly what I had in mind.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Southfork is great for hiking & camping food prep, and general use like feather sticks etc. I would not use it for more demanding wood prep like chopping or splitting.

I do not have one, but my gut feel is that the Temperance 2 would be the most versatile...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

BTG wrote:however... I think I'll pick up a temperance 2 leather sheath for my mule, I know it will be a little deep for the mules blade length, but was reading here that they will work together, so I think I'll give it a shot...
I missed that, would like to hear how it works out. I keep putting off getting a kydex sheath (keep a mule in the knife block at home) b/c I don't have scales glued on either of mine and haven't settled on what scales it should fit. If the size works, the leather could potentially accomodate different scale shapes, at least well-enough. I have one set each of flat and contoured scales from Halpern, but am also interested in making some scales.