New Release! - Police 3 with ZDP-189 and Titanium Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: New Release! - Police 3 with ZDP-189 and Titanium Scales

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:We're waiting on a proto of the Police "3" with Titan scales and the full flat blade in ZDP. Once we have the proto in hand, we can go from there.

sal
Incredible Sal! I just received my Ti Damascus Endura 4 last night and thought immediately how cool a Police just like it would be. I guess you guys thought that too! Can't wait! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

Wow!

That is exciting news!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

sal wrote:We're waiting on a proto of the Police "3" with Titan scales and the full flat blade in ZDP. Once we have the proto in hand, we can go from there.

sal
I am so in if these come into production!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This sounds like an instant classic. Long, sharp , strong and easy to control. One I'd love to buy.

Joe
Spyder-Monkey

Post by Spyder-Monkey »

This needs more attention!!!!!!!!!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

And now I know whose new threads to ignore going forward...
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Knutty wrote:And now I know whose new threads to ignore going forward...

Yeah real smart. Ignore the thread that launched a knife..... Hopefully you're being sarcastic because this will be a fantastic knife if it goes past the sample phase.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll probably pick one up if the price isn't too high. I really like the original Police 3 and ZDP189 is one of my favorite steels. Might be a bit on the heavy side with titanium handles, but I wonder how close to the ~5oz G10 P3 weight they can gt it?
sal

Post by sal »

Actually the thread caused me to carry the Police 3 for a few weeks and I decided to improve the pattern before making a ti version. We did get a price, which was quite expensive, so we'll still in "study" mode.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Very interesting. I'm curious to see how this plays out. G10 and zdp would still be a nice combo. Thanks for the update Sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:Actually the thread caused me to carry the Police 3 for a few weeks and I decided to improve the pattern before making a ti version. We did get a price, which was quite expensive, so we'll still in "study" mode.

sal
Does this mean a Police 4 is lurking on the horizon, Sal? Thanx, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.....hopefully there will be a new offering of steel other than VG-10 in SE (probably not ZDP - as I've heard that it doesn't do well with SE). My SE G-10 Police 3 works very well as a steak and bread knife.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

VashHash wrote:
Knutty wrote:And now I know whose new threads to ignore going forward...
Yeah real smart. Ignore the thread that launched a knife..... Hopefully you're being sarcastic because this will be a fantastic knife if it goes past the sample phase.
Hah, I only just now read this reply. That's how concerned I am with such opinions. This thread could have cured cancer and I'd still ignore the OP's threads... Oh yeah and I'm not interested in anything ZDP.

Go ahead. I'm bulletproof.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

Sal,

I am really curious about the improvements you are considering after having carried the Police 3 for a few weeks.

Its a great knife. I am still hoping it can make it to production.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

SharpCdn wrote:Ok, just a cheap headline to get your attention...

Forgive me, sometimes I stoop to low levels to draw attention to GREAT concepts.

Since I seem to be the only fan of the Police 3 it may never happen...but a man can dream!

Oh yeah, this dream knife...it has a non-clad blade.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, it would be a perfectly good waste of ZDP-189.

Now, an Enuff in ZDP-189? I would buy that.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would probably pass on a Ti/zdp version but green g10 and ZDP and I am a buyer for sure. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I recently bought a stainless Police, as a result I do like the idea of another all metal, pinned construction handle. The reduced weight of Ti sounds excellent.

Also, the FFG and added ergos of the Police 3 design seem like good additions. ZDP 189 would be a nice plus as well, but to be honest any exotic Japanese steel is a plus.

This sounds like an worthwhile idea for a knife, look forward to seeing if it becomes a reality. At the very least, seems like a good cause for some CQI.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Seems like the recent Ti-handled models have been screw-together construction (e.g. Ti Delica and Ti Endura). I'm curious if this one will be screw-together too?
Also curious if a PowerLock is an option?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

sal wrote:Actually the thread caused me to carry the Police 3 for a few weeks and I decided to improve the pattern before making a ti version. We did get a price, which was quite expensive, so we'll still in "study" mode.

sal
G10 is fine by me if it keeps the price down

Any news on this?
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

I am very interested to hear more about the plans for the Police 4. I look forward to buying one.

I am happy you are planning on staying with the mid-lock/lockback. I have tried all the other locks designs and have come full circle back to this lock. The only liner lock I have left in my collection is my CF BG42 Military.

If you are considering improvements for the Police 3, I could perhaps see a little more belly being helpful, but only if it didn't change the other aspects of the current blade geometry too much. I do that find that due to the shape of the current cutting edge design, most of the cutting that I do with it (impromptu food prep) is in the front 25% of the blade.

I wouldn't want the thickness of the grind to change though. The current grind is such an efficient slicer. The front 25% of the blade, particularly, is amazingly thin, which is so useful for slicing.

I am really intrigued about the non-Japanese steel that you plan to use.