Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cgjones

Re: Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Post by cgjones »

Playing with Fire (2019)

Approximately 48 minutes and 1 hour, 21 minutes into the movie.

Carson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

2002, Law and Order, S12E15, Access Nation.

About 16 minutes in, stainless steel hamdle endura
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
GoBlue93

Post by GoBlue93 »

Just watched Lucifer Season 2 Episode 1 when Maze stops the attacker and sticks the Endura into the banister. Fiancé thought I was a freak when I rewound the show to pause at that exact moment to confirm the knife’s identity, but that is a beautiful Black FRN Endura!
🏂⚽️〽️🏈🏐🥃
22🕷 9 Different Steels
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

For those that like spy novels, Spyderco knives are mentioned a few times in "The Gray Man" book series by Mark Greaney, including a PM 2 in matte black in the latest 9th book. Books are excellent by the way.

Netflix is going in on "The Gray Man" in a big way too -- would be cool if they stay true to the series and perhaps there could even be some product placement :)

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix-th ... 202987267/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It wasn't just the original Dr. Hannibal Lecter in the movie "Silence Of The Lambs" that made Spyderco knives a serious piece of Americana. Before that I started reading a lot of of the popular knife magazines in the late 80s/early 90s. And I was seeing a lot of ads and few magazine articles in famous publications like the original "American Survival Guide" magazine. There were articles about how these newer Spyderco models were starting to gain recognition throughout the industry.

But I was starting to see glimpses of them in various TV shows and certain movies. One of the very first TV Shows I saw Spyderco knives in was called "LOST" and I seen at least 4 different Spyderco models in that TV Series.

Also in the 2008-2010 era there was a show on Animal Planet and I can't think of the name of it off top of my head. But it was about a guy who was a lot like Steve Irwin and handled dangerous animals and he always had some type of Spyderco Hawkbill with him.
James Y

Post by James Y »

My favorite movie with a Spyderco in it is The Client, and the knife is a customized SE Police, carried by the gangster Barry “The Blade” Muldano (Anthony LaPaglia). Even without the knife, The Client remains one of my favorite crime thrillers.

Jim
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Nothing new here as this has already been mentioned ... but I did stumble across it last night for my first time.

CG
Attachments
IMG_1730.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

So many movies I need to watch again with my knives glasses on. This will kill my schedule.
Luckily new movie gems are few and far apart these days, so I'm mostly watching old classics anyway
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:37 pm
Also in the 2008-2010 era there was a show on Animal Planet and I can't think of the name of it off top of my head. But it was about a guy who was a lot like Steve Irwin and handled dangerous animals and he always had some type of Spyderco Hawkbill with him.

That sounds like Wild Recon with Donald Schultz. It also aired as Venom Hunter in some countries.
Carson
James Y

Post by James Y »

Once, while watching the local news a few years ago, I spotted someone using a black-handled SE Pacific Salt. I think the news story was about rescuing marine animals trapped in netting or something. I don’t recall who had the knife; they were on a boat offshore. It could have been a Sea World employee (they have animal rescue teams).

Jim
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Building Off the Grid - S10E01 - Colorado Cliff Home

Approximately 13 minutes into the episode.

Carson
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The 1995 movie Sudden Death is already listed with a Standard/Economy SS SE. I'm kind of new around here and I'm not sure what that would be, but in the picture below Jean-Claude Van Damme has flicked open what I think may be an early Endura SE which he uses to cut a wire on a bomb connected to a receiver.

Yellow or black, yellow or black... He cut the right one just in time. Then cuts the black one and takes the explosive with him. The colors might have to do with the Pittsburgh Penguins arena where the bombs have been placed.

He uses it again to cut some plastic tubing and make an improvised nail gun. Then again to disarm another bomb. Then we see him cut one more.

He replaces the Pittsburgh Penguins goal keeper briefly during the Stanley Cup final game and no one on his team notices that he is about 100 pounds lighter and a foot shorter. The team owner and his wife actually produced and wrote the movie.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm
The 1995 movie Sudden Death is already listed with a Standard/Economy SS SE. I'm kind of new around here and I'm not sure what that would be, but in the picture below Jean-Claude Van Damme has flicked open what I think may be an early Endura SE which he uses to cut a wire on a bomb. Yellow or black, yellow or black... He cut the right one.

Another Van Damme flick, Hard Target (1993) has a SS SE Police model carried by the bad guy’s right-hand man. The knife is shown a couple of times.

The 1998 Japanese film Tokyo Rampage features a bunch of different knives, carried around in a bag by a psychopath who hunts Yakuza gangsters. I specifically recall spotting knives by both Kershaw and Spyderco (possibly a SS Delica).

Jim
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Gotham series 2 episode 10, The son of Gotham. ‘Tom’ kidnaps Bruce And Silver.
Later, @ approx 20 minutes, before he takes Bruce away to torture him he pulls out what looks like a SS PE Police 2.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its already on the list, but its such a good movie it needs a pic.
Attachments
20201102_213016.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s already on the list, but here is a scene from Parker. SS Spyderco Police. The knife is seen more in the second half of the clip.

https://youtu.be/3gGYHLS_FVA

JIM
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

And then of course there is the Spyderco Police in the famous shower scene
from Alfred Hitchcock's Pyscho.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
likethejams

Post by likethejams »

I've seen this Spyderco on a few episodes of The 100 on Netflix. Modified Para 2?
IMG_20201104_28109.jpg
James Y

Post by James Y »

I didn’t see ‘Law and Order: Special Victims Unit’ mentioned. In a few early episodes, Delica 3’s were used by a few of the detectives. And a few years ago, one of the Spyderco automatics (carried by a bad guy) was shown (I don’t recall which one it was), in a Central Park scene. In yet another episode, a small serrated Spyderco model (also forgot which one; possibly a Dragonfly?) was displayed by another bad guy while sitting in a restaurant.

It’s possible there have been more since then, but I haven’t watched the show in awhile now.

Jim
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Help me out here. In the 2018 movie The Predator
the dirty half-dozen take on invaders from outer space, my favorite kind of sci-fi.

At 1:28, Baxley, played by Thomas Jane (The Punisher), stabs one guy
and cuts the throat of a second guy with what may be a Spyderco Police CE.

At 1:41, the studio put in a sound like a fixed blade being drawn from a sheath
but Baxley actually appears to be unfolding a folding knife.
He then jumps from a bluff onto the 11-foot alien, now in flames,
and stabs him numerous times, which really annoys him.

The frame by frame pictures are not worth a darn, but in motion it looks better.
This is the best picture I could get during the extraterrestrial flambeau.

It's on Directv 248 FXHD Mon, Nov 9, 2:30p and Tue, Nov 10, 12:30p.
Set your DVR and tell me what you think.