Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Post by Mad Mac »

Kiwigunguy wrote:I've heard a lot about The Fan but I have yet to see it. It does sound interesting, though.
Too bad they couldn't get some better knives for the movie... :spyder:
If I had a knife company, I don't think I would want any of my knives in that movie. It's a "hatchet job". It's an anti-knife movie, like the Hollywood anti-gun movies. Knives spawn madness and evil, the same way exploding mobile homes create tornadoes, another well known scientific fact.

In one scene, the sales manager slams a car door on the conference table and ice pick style stabs the door many times in a frenzy using a tanto blade. Supposedly this is to show the quality of the knife and motivate the sales force. In the process, he cuts himself.

It is a good thing there are no Spyderco products in the movie.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mad Mac wrote:
Kiwigunguy wrote:I've heard a lot about The Fan but I have yet to see it. It does sound interesting, though.
Too bad they couldn't get some better knives for the movie... :spyder:
If I had a knife company, I don't think I would want any of my knives in that movie. It's a "hatchet job". It's an anti-knife movie, like the Hollywood anti-gun movies. Knives spawn madness and evil, the same way exploding mobile homes create tornadoes, another well known scientific fact.

In one scene, the sales manager slams a car door on the conference table and ice pick style stabs the door many times in a frenzy using a tanto blade. Supposedly this is to show the quality of the knife and motivate the sales force. In the process, he cuts himself.

It is a good thing there are no Spyderco products in the movie.
I don't think there is such a thing as bad publicity in that sense.
Most of the movies and tv shows mentioned on this thread involve Spydercos being used to threaten, injure, or kill people, and yet none of them has tarnished Spyderco's reputation in any way. On the contrary, they have served to greatly increase Spyderco's reputation and sales. Everyone wants a Harpy because of the movie Hannibal, where the titular character uses one to murder three people-he even eviscerates one of them!
As for stabbing car doors with knives, there are countless people who enjoy watching Cold Steel's videos and their sales are through the roof.

The only real way a film could hurt Spyderco in any way would be if it clearly showed a Spyderco being ineffective or breaking under normal use(highly unlikely) or if it was about the company itself and sought to expose its unscrupulous business practices, which are conspicuous by their absence in Spyderco's case. Either would put the film producers at risk of being sued for libel.
The movie "The Runaway Jury" tried to do the latter with firearms companies but failed miserably. The John Grisham book of the same name on which it was based was about a tobacco company and had a very plausible and realistic story that would have worked well on screen, except that the movie wasn't released until 2006, when the superb movie "The Insider" had already put that story to screen. As a result, the film had a totally unrealistic and ridiculous plot. The fictional gun company behaved in a way that no real firearms company ever would and is portrayed as a stereotypical evil organisation. There are some major legal inaccuracies, which is the opposite of the book-John Grisham is a former lawyer and always portrays legal proceedings realistically. The movies so-called hero is a man who moves around(under false names) trying to get selected as a jury member in cases involving gun companies, just so that he can manipulate the jury into finding against the gun company because his girlfriend's sister died in a school shooting. Against unfathomable odds, he manages to do this, and the film ends with the gun company losing despite the fact that they were never proven to be negligent despite doing a number of things that were very stupid but totally legal. The theme of the movie is that emotion should win out over evidence and legal precedent, which is totally out of character for a legal thriller. In real life, gun companies just aren't corrupt and slimy like that, although the Freedom Group and Remington are really trying these days... :(

Basically what I'm saying is just watch "The Insider." It is very well written, directed, and acted, and you are pretty much guaranteed to like it. :)
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Stop having a boring knife, stop having a boring life." -Shamwow Guy in Jail
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Anaconda is already posted but I think part of the fun of this thread is seeing the screen shots. Flipped the channel at the perfect time to catch this scene. Someone needs to school Cube on how to open that thing :p :spyder:
2016-08-29 22.13.01.jpg
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

KnickKnackCity wrote:Anaconda is already posted but I think part of the fun of this thread is seeing the screen shots. Flipped the channel at the perfect time to catch this scene. Someone needs to school Cube on how to open that thing :p :spyder:

2016-08-29 22.13.01.jpg

Ha, I also saw Ice Cube pull out that Spydie tonight and pointed it out to my buddy!
Mad Mac

End of Watch: Not a Spyderco

Post by Mad Mac »

In the 2012 movie, End of Watch, Jake Gyllenhaal's character, Officer Taylor, displaying his gear says,
"Spyderco Tactical Knife", but it is not a Spyderco. Instead it is probably a Smith & Wesson.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Season 2, Episode 10 of Fear the Walking Dead first aired 09/04/16.
Travis and Chris meet up with strangers. One has the knife pictured below.
Don't know what it is.

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

It's been a LOONG time since I last posted on this forum, and for that I am ashamed.. It took a :spyder: sighting in The Blacklist to get back over here.. Hopefully to stay. :)

Anyhow.. A rare Volpe sighting in S1 Ep4 about 21min in.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Z Nation, S3|E1 (tonight's episode), "The Man" flicks open this knife one hour and five minutes in. Don't know what it is.

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I see them fairly often but have forgotten the last few.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Latest episode of Rugged Justice about the depth. Of fish and wildlife here in Washington state.

Josh
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

I thought "The Client" featured the Police....used by Barry The Blade.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Spyderco clipped to dead FBI informant, Chris, in series premier of Eyewitness.
Chris used the knife to free a bad guy who was going to be murdered.
In return, the bad guy murders Chris. It just doesn't pay to try and be nice.

Note that the knife is clipped to Chris' left side. His left handedness turns out to be crucial in unraveling the mystery
because the bad guy planted a gun in Chris' right hand.
However the sheriff decides Chris is left handed based on his calluses and not the knife carry.
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Hawaii Five-0 - S07E06 - Ka hale ho'okauweli (House Of Horrors)

Approximately 25 minutes and 32 minutes into the episode.

npad69

Blair Witch (2016)

Post by npad69 »

looks like a tenacious
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In Strange Days, a 1995 action movie set in a dystopian Los Angeles, New Year's Eve Y2K (the Rodney King LA riots were in 1992), director Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) cast Louise LeCavalier (Canada), a renowned contemporary dancer known for her blond dreadlocks as Cindy 'Vita' Minh, nemesis to Angela Bassett's Mace Mason, girl Friday for the lead, Lenny Nero played by Ralph Fiennes (of the English Patient). In a game of Spydie, rock, pistol, Mace wins and walks away uncut.

You experts determine the knife at hand but my guess is Mariner.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

But wait, there's more. About two hours into the movie, Nero's best friend Max played by Tom Sizemore (Blackhawk Down) stabs him ice pick style in the back during a fight in a high rise apartment. That's not all. Max goes over the balcony and is hanging on by Nero's tie. Don't get ahead of me. Nero pulls the knife out of his back and cuts the tie.

The Spydie is never clearly visible but my guess is a Police SE.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Series premier of Ransom has the kidnapper remove a lock of hair for DNA proof. Stretch?

npad69

Post by npad69 »

Mad Mac wrote:Series premier of Ransom has the kidnapper remove a lock of hair for DNA proof. Stretch?

I don't know, the shape looks more like a victorinox one hand sentinel to me

gac

Post by gac »

Last episode of AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D., "Broken Promises" has the Aida android character using a Cricket to cut an Agent May's face.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was just watching the Netflix original movie "Bright" and noticed Will Smiths character using what appears to be a full spyderedge SS Police.

Shows up right around the 1 hour 7 minute mark.

-Nick :bug-red