Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kiwigunguy

Re: Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Hey guys and gals,

After a long hiatus I have returned.
The last couple of years I have been very busy with work and just let things get away from me.
When I originally compiled the list I was unemployed and therefore had a lot more free time.
That worked out well as it took hundreds of hours of work and I could never manage that now.
I am no longer unemployed but I now have enough free time to keep the list up to date.
I've been working in event security for over two years now and the Pacific Salt has been my constant companion as always.

If this is your first time reading this thread feel free to look through the list of possible sightings on page 1.
If you can help with confirming or disproving any of those sightings, please do so-it is a big help.

Now, onto the list-I will go through this one sighting at a time.
Mad Mac wrote: Z Nation, S3|E1 (tonight's episode), "The Man" flicks open this knife one hour and five minutes in. Don't know what it is.

Mad Mac wrote: Spyderco clipped to dead FBI informant, Chris, in series premier of Eyewitness.
Chris used the knife to free a bad guy who was going to be murdered.
In return, the bad guy murders Chris. It just doesn't pay to try and be nice.

Note that the knife is clipped to Chris' left side. His left handedness turns out to be crucial in unraveling the mystery
because the bad guy planted a gun in Chris' right hand.
However the sheriff decides Chris is left handed based on his calluses and not the knife carry.
Mad Mac wrote: Series premier of Ransom has the kidnapper remove a lock of hair for DNA proof. Stretch?

Mad Mac , could you please repost the Z Nation, Eyewitness, and Ransom photos? They seem to have disappeared.
murphjd25 wrote: Latest episode of Rugged Justice about the depth. Of fish and wildlife here in Washington state.

murphjd25 , could you please repost the Rugged Justice photo? It seems to have disappeared.
cgjones wrote: Hawaii Five-0 - S07E06 - Ka hale ho'okauweli (House Of Horrors)

Approximately 25 minutes and 32 minutes into the episode.

Thanks cgjones . Hawaii Five-0 S07E06 has been added.
npad69 wrote: Image

looks like a tenacious
Thanks npad69 . Blair Witch has been added.
Mushroom wrote: Was just watching the Netflix original movie "Bright" and noticed Will Smiths character using what appears to be a full spyderedge SS Police.

Shows up right around the 1 hour 7 minute mark.

Thanks Mushroom . Bright has been added.

Again, I just want to say a big thanks to everyone who helps out with the list.
I couldn't do this without you.
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Stop having a boring knife, stop having a boring life." -Shamwow Guy in Jail
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Welcome back. My bad. I deleted the images from my Google photo album and no longer have them on my smartphone either. Oops.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Fun thread! I'll keep my eyes open.
/ David
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Ultimate Ninja Challenge - S01E01 - Dig Deep To Survive

Approximately 12 minutes into the episode. Every contestant appeared to be carrying one but I never saw one out of the sheath.

cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Ultimate Ninja Challenge - S01E02 - Over The Edge

Approximately 8 minutes and 12 minutes into the episode. There were quite a few scenes in this episode with the knives being used. I picked two of the better close up scenes.

Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

cgjones wrote: Ultimate Ninja Challenge - S01E02 - Over The Edge

Approximately 8 minutes and 12 minutes into the episode. There were quite a few scenes in this episode with the knives being used. I picked two of the better close up scenes.

cgjones wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:14 am
Ultimate Ninja Challenge - S01E01 - Dig Deep To Survive

Approximately 12 minutes into the episode. Every contestant appeared to be carrying one but I never saw one out of the sheath.

Thanks for the help. Ultimate Ninja Challenge has been added, along with Message from the King, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Lucifer.
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I just saw what I believe to be an Endura 4 on the "Hannibal" TV Show, Season 3 episode 5, on his fight against Jack
Might be a reference to the old Book/Movie with the Harpy and other Spydercos? :p

Lance Leon

Post by Lance Leon »

I believe there was a a Spyderco Vallotton model, or a model with similar blade shape and that distinct spyidie hole, briefly used by Ivy Pepper/Poison Ivy in season 4 episode 14 of Gotham.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Kiwigunguy wrote:
Tue May 24, 2016 2:28 am
. There are some major legal inaccuracies, which is the opposite of the book-John Grisham is a former lawyer and always portrays legal proceedings realistically. The movies so-called hero is a man who moves around(under false names) trying to get selected as a jury member in cases involving gun companies, just so that he can manipulate the jury into finding against the gun company because his girlfriend's sister died in a school shooting. ../quote]

Funny...
I worked in a county courtroom in college and we had a standard spiel to advise juries NOT to make up their minds in advance. If anyone had made a speech like the "hero" in that movie (yeh, I saw it, sadly... can't unsee it) where he says "I made up my mind before I ever entered the room..." or words to that effect ... he'd be taken out by security and it'd be a mistrial.
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 pm
Kiwigunguy wrote:
Tue May 24, 2016 2:28 am
. There are some major legal inaccuracies, which is the opposite of the book-John Grisham is a former lawyer and always portrays legal proceedings realistically. The movies so-called hero is a man who moves around(under false names) trying to get selected as a jury member in cases involving gun companies, just so that he can manipulate the jury into finding against the gun company because his girlfriend's sister died in a school shooting. ../quote]

Funny...
I worked in a county courtroom in college and we had a standard spiel to advise juries NOT to make up their minds in advance. If anyone had made a speech like the "hero" in that movie (yeh, I saw it, sadly... can't unsee it) where he says "I made up my mind before I ever entered the room..." or words to that effect ... he'd be taken out by security and it'd be a mistrial.
Lonerider
You are absolutely right there. That movie contained a number of incidents that would have resulted in the entire jury being replaced or even a mistrial in any real world courtroom. I don't see how any legal professional could sit through that movie. Where were their technical advisors?
The story makes a lot more sense when it is about tobacco companies as it was in the book.
Unfortunately, by the time the movie was made the whole tobacco industry scandal had been covered in movies such as The Insider.
The Insider, by the way, is excellent and if you haven't seen it you should. You won't be disappointed.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is the SS Police SE from the Arnold Schwarzenegger 1996 movie Eraser used by the Russian arms dealer to threaten Vanessa Williams before she smashed a coffee decanter on his head.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Maybe a little on the nose but I've seen a few Spydercos in episodes of forged in fire. A few times the sharpmaker is shown...

I'll try and notice more..
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

We get a real good look at Denzel Washington menacing a punk
with his SS SE Police in the 2001 movie Training Day.

NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

I just watched S4E8 of Quantum Leap and I am not sure if the knife really is a "Leap Pro-Grip Pro-Venator Delica" as it is stated under "Unconfirmed TV Show Sightings" in the original post.

Maybe some of you pros can id the knife? I made some screeenshots from the DVD. Sadly the handle is hardly ever shown but watching it in motion I got the impression that it is out of metal (looks like a stainless grip).

https://imgur.com/a/EAiOrcg
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Kiwigunguy covered this in his opening post and it has been a topic in other threads but here's more. Yesterday, I was watching an episode from the 2011 skateboarder series, Epicly Later'd on Vice. It featured Spike Jonze and included a clip from the 1994 Beastie Boys music video Sabotage that Spike directed. That sent me to the video, which was nominated for an MTV Video of the Year. One minute and 47 seconds in is a short, flashy sequence with the stainless steel Police. Here is a still.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Under the category of etc, noticed this YouTube video. The Urban Gentry reviews watches. I've seen a few of his videos but this is the only one I've seen where he paired a knife with a watch. Not positive which Spyderco it is, but the watch is a tough as nails, military style, 24 hour Sinn UTC highly praised by the host.

https://youtu.be/fdfpyPPR4Q8?t=1025
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Under the category of etc, noticed this YouTube video. The Urban Gentry reviews watches. I've seen a few of his videos but this is the only one I've seen where he paired a knife with a watch. Not positive which Spyderco it is, but the watch is a tough as nails, military style, 24 hour Sinn UTC highly praised by the host.

https://youtu.be/fdfpyPPR4Q8?t=1025
Appears to be a Tenacious, which is funny.
$5000 watch, $40 knife!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

27 minutes into Season 1, Episode 4 of Epicly Later'd on Viceland, skateboarder Andy Roy appears to be using an early Delica to cut a thread to suture a laceration on himself. No narrative was provided of the brief scene, so I'm just guessing.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Mac, do you think it would be cool to see a Caly 3.5 variant in a movie or tv show if used right?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Don't know about that but I think the Company should give knives to the actors, directors and producers of action movies and thrillers. It could be a relatively inexpensive form of product placement.