Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Post by wrdwrght »

Very useful list. Thanks.

Seems worthy of a sticky.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mic1 wrote:Did Matt Damon have one in the Departed 2006?
I think you're thinking of the Kershaw Whirlwind.
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Stop having a boring knife, stop having a boring life." -Shamwow Guy in Jail
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

JT wrote:Wow!
Kiwigunguy, nice job! And welcome to the forum! now, hide your wallet an run! :D :D

If I may suggest,
I'd like to add one tv show episode to the list, from a Finnish gonzo tv-series Madventures( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madventures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) first season, last episode.The show was later aired on US "travel channel" too.

Riku had hidden a diamond in to his arm (yes, inside his arm) for backup, in case they got robbed and broke, but since everything went well, it was the last day in NY they decided to take it out to pay for the tickets home.
The knife that was used to dig it out was a SS SE co-pilot if I see correctly...

warning, a little nasty.. they show it all... :)
https://youtu.be/LpV8e69qxrQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll translate if you guys have any questions later :)
It has been added. Thanks very much for your help. That is nearly as crazy as the episode of The Blacklist where a guy has an actual Spyderco Honeybee Buried under his skin. :eek:
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
JT

Post by JT »

No broblem.
One thing to note, that stuff was real documentary-gonzo, not a movie.. crazy Finns, eh? :D (and yes, I had many-a laughs when they aired it here in Finland, I was just recently got into Spydies, and what do you know, of all of the knives in the world they used a Spydie in a Finnish tv-show. )
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

JT wrote:No broblem.
One thing to note, that stuff was real documentary-gonzo, not a movie.. crazy Finns, eh? :D (and yes, I had many-a laughs when they aired it here in Finland, I was just recently got into Spydies, and what do you know, of all of the knives in the world they used a Spydie in a Finnish tv-show. )
I appreciate that fact. I was referring more to the concept of what was done, rather than what was done in real life. I mean, come on, having things buried under your skin and digging them out with a knife is not that uncommon, but having an actual knife buried under your skin...how insane is that? I'm not entirely sure how that would be helpful in the days of metal detectors and x-ray machines, but you should at least get points for effort, right? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just spotted an Endura while watching My name is Earl. Season 4, episode 5 "Sweet Johnny". It's a bit grainy when paused but real easy to see when playing. This is currently on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out. It comes in towards the end with about 3:30 left in the episode.

Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Evil D wrote:Just spotted an Endura while watching My name is Earl. Season 4, episode 5 "Sweet Johnny". It's a bit grainy when paused but real easy to see when playing. This is currently on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out. It comes in towards the end with about 3:30 left in the episode.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have Netflix :( , so are there any other details about the knife that you can confirm? Ideally before putting a sighting in the confirmed section I like to have the following details if possible: Knife model generation, handle material, handle colour, and edge configuration. Any of those would be very helpful; if you can't get any of those details I'll just add the sighting to the confirmed section anyway and try to get those details later on, so no worries there. Either way, thanks for your help nonetheless. Keeping a complete and up-to-date list like this wouldn't be possible without your help. :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kiwigunguy wrote: Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have Netflix :( , so are there any other details about the knife that you can confirm? Ideally before putting a sighting in the confirmed section I like to have the following details if possible: Knife model generation, handle material, handle colour, and edge configuration. Any of those would be very helpful; if you can't get any of those details I'll just add the sighting to the confirmed section anyway and try to get those details later on, so no worries there. Either way, thanks for your help nonetheless. Keeping a complete and up-to-date list like this wouldn't be possible without your help. :cool:
Unfortunately no, you really only see the blade since he's wearing those huge gloves. It's definitely a PE Endura, but could be any model/year and who knows what handle configuration, though I doubt it was SS.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Evil D wrote:
Kiwigunguy wrote: Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have Netflix :( , so are there any other details about the knife that you can confirm? Ideally before putting a sighting in the confirmed section I like to have the following details if possible: Knife model generation, handle material, handle colour, and edge configuration. Any of those would be very helpful; if you can't get any of those details I'll just add the sighting to the confirmed section anyway and try to get those details later on, so no worries there. Either way, thanks for your help nonetheless. Keeping a complete and up-to-date list like this wouldn't be possible without your help. :cool:
Unfortunately no, you really only see the blade since he's wearing those huge gloves. It's definitely a PE Endura, but could be any model/year and who knows what handle configuration, though I doubt it was SS.
Much appreciated. I have added the sighting to the confirmed section. :)
Spiderwatts

Post by Spiderwatts »

I've seen a couple on episodes of "Fast n Loud" over last couple of years. An excellent show in my opinion too.
My grails: Manix2 with CPM-S110V; Dragonfly ZDP-189; Native CPM-S90V; Manix XL glow in the dark.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

my wife and i saw 'the martian' in the local theater last night, i think i saw matt damon's character using a spyderco folder in 2 scenes inside the hab (not sure yet what model but it had an orange colored handle)
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

My wife and I recently saw one, but I can't remember exactly what show it was. I believe it was in the new season of Criminal Minds. Time to go watch some more and find out!

Also...

Welcome! And great job on compiling a fantastic list!
chukhatrok

Post by chukhatrok »

npad69 wrote:my wife and i saw 'the martian' in the local theater last night, i think i saw matt damon's character using a spyderco folder in 2 scenes inside the hab (not sure yet what model but it had an orange colored handle)
I saw that too, hopefully someone will be looking for it to ID it. But yes I thought it was a Spyderco as well.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

chukhatrok wrote:
npad69 wrote:my wife and i saw 'the martian' in the local theater last night, i think i saw matt damon's character using a spyderco folder in 2 scenes inside the hab (not sure yet what model but it had an orange colored handle)
I saw that too, hopefully someone will be looking for it to ID it. But yes I thought it was a Spyderco as well.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but according to Joyce Laituri the knife was most likely an orange G-10 Blade Tech Pro Hunter, which has a different shape opening hole. It's a shame it wasn't a Spyderco, but at least it was a decent knife(or so I would assume based on it's street price of $170 before it was discontinued). Still though, if they wanted a discontinued orange G-10 liner lock knife with S30V steel and an opening hole, it would have been easier for them to just buy a Spyderco Military. That would also make more sense, along the same lines as the white NASA Delica 4s back in 2008.
dano

Post by dano »

The knife on The Martian isn't a Spyderco, it's a Victorinox Outdoorsman Hunter Pro.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

dano wrote:The knife on The Martian isn't a Spyderco, it's a Victorinox Outdoorsman Hunter Pro.
If that is the case then I retract my statement about it being a decent knife. Yuck. Victorinox's Swiss Army Knives are pretty fantastic but their attempts at making a proper full-size locking folder have thus far been pretty disappointing. :(
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Just now watching an episode of "Castle" on TNT that features what appears to be a SS Delica (SE?). It's kind of cool because the character using it is holding it steady for several seconds so it is easily visible. This is Episode 99 (2013) Part 2 of 2.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

I don't know if knives will make it after the editing and the cutting room floor, but we have recently been in contact with Alaskan Bush People, Wicked Tuna, Son's of Winter, Whale Wars, Yukon River Run and the newest John Wick film shooting now. Keep your peeps open for us and let us know if you spot any Spyderco knives included in these shows.

Thanks,
Joyce
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Joyce Laituri wrote:I don't know if knives will make it after the editing and the cutting room floor, but we have recently been in contact with Alaskan Bush People, Wicked Tuna, Son's of Winter, Whale Wars, Yukon River Run and the newest John Wick film shooting now. Keep your peeps open for us and let us know if you spot any Spyderco knives included in these shows.

Thanks,
Joyce
That is awesome news! Thanks Joyce. :) My in-laws greatly enjoy watching Wicked Tuna and Alaskan Bush People. I'll tell them to keep an eye peeled for Spyderco sightings!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I was reading this thread and then went over to a gun forum and saw a thread about Lucky Gunner's ballistic tests on many different self defense rounds. This picture was on the Lucky Gunner website. How weird is that?! I'm thinking it's a Spyderco Cat.
Here's the site http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-de ... sts/#45ACP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screenshot_2015-11-12-13-47-31_kindlephoto-19107815.jpg