Too pretty to use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clevelanddean

Too pretty to use

Post by clevelanddean »

PhotoGrid_1433821802407-1.jpg
Just want to know what spydie
you have that as much as you want to use it you grab something else because it's just too nice.

I know after the honeymoon I will use it but I just got my hands on a caly 3 damascus. I...just...dont...want...to...mess...it...up.

Wanna hear and see what ya got. Thanks
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
D-Roc

Re: Too pretty to use

Post by D-Roc »

I wouldn't use that one either....I used to never use my Bg42 military until one day I thought, whatever....now its an edc.
For me, most of my collection of "golden era 98-03" spydercos I never use, because they are just irreplaceable.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Just can't bring myself to use my SB caly 3, it's still in its little box wrapped in the little brown paper.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

I have a Jess Horn that I have only carried a couple of times.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have a few but my most treasured is probably the damascus Caly 3.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Hmm... I never use my damascus Endura and don't use my CF Dodo and Persian 1 allot because they're hard to replace. Other than those, pretty much all see usage :) Even the Southard despite it's price tag :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

My Rubicon was so nice. Too nice in fact. I couldn't handle owning such a beautiful and expensive knife so I sold it. I felt much better afterwards. I used the money to get a PITS which I'm very happy with.

I guess I feel kind of the same way about my new Slysz Bowie, but it is much more practical in its design so I'm using it. But dang, that price tag.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This JD Smith from 1999-2000... I carried it over the weekend. It has such nice ergos and size, told myself yesterday I will just have to get over myself and carry it more often.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe I wouldn't go doing bushcraft and striking flint with that knife, but I'd sure use it for general EDC, at least for formal carry.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I bought a Hungarian and traded it back to my knife shop for a Spyderco I would use. I couldn't even make myself take the plastic off of the bolsters!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

greatscott wrote:I have a Jess Horn that I have only carried a couple of times.
Your user name sure coincides with my overall reaction of that C-27 Jess Horn model because the first words that come to mind when I see that "Work Of Art" is "GREAT SCOTT!!! :D Another item of interest too Brother is that you've got the more rare of the rare birds>> that is the serrated version. I've only ever seen two of those in person in all of the Gun and Knife shows I've attended over the years. I've seen far more plain edged versions of that model.

But the title of this thread has hit home with me on numerous occasions. One of the more recent times was about 3 years ago or so when they did the Sprint Run of the G-10 handled, C-60 Ayoob model. I got two of them immediately but even though I had a back up unit I had the hardest time using that beauty for the very first time.

I'm working on a deal now for a Sprint Gray handled C-44 Dyad which I solely intend on making into a user blade, EDC. I know it's going to be a while before I put the first scratch on it. Because there is a beauty and mystique with those premium Spyderco models. It forces you to respect and to some degree revere those great models. It's much better for me to buy a used model I intend on using to begin with rather than to "break-ground" so to speak with a NIB Spyder.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Too pretty to use? No such thing in my book. But sure, I have a few that are reserved for lighter duty. I've got my salts for all the dirty work. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Some are light duty and don't get used very often but every knife I have has cut something. That includes expensive, sprints and hard to get (for me) models. They are still cutting tools after all.

That first cut is difficult to say the least, like the first scratch on a new car.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

remnar wrote:I have a few but my most treasured is probably the damascus Caly 3.

Yep, I hear ya. I think I am going to try to track another one down and safe queen it so I can use one with less guilt.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I edc my Caly 3 Damascus all the time...because it's "pretty".
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The only one I'm a little reluctant to use is my shiny stainless ATR. It's not even perfect, it's got lanyard tube rattle and a rough cobra hood, but still I'm afraid to get that first scratch. Even so, I did use it to cut open a bag of charcoal once
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'll readily admit that I'm reluctant to use a number of mine--for various reasons. (Some because they are too rare/difficult to replace while others hold a certain amount of sentimental value). I enjoy carrying all my knives and playing with them--regardless of value. (This just means I baby them vs. use them for daily cutting chores).
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, not really too pretty, but I have several that I consider too rare and expensive to use much.
:bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:I'll readily admit that I'm reluctant to use a number of mine--for various reasons. (Some because they are too rare/difficult to replace
gbelleh wrote:I have several that I consider too rare and expensive to use much.
I have/had many knives, which would fit in these categories, especially in the past. I bought second Kopa Cocobolo because Terquise was too expensive to carry. I am not sure, if I would do something like this now. I have only only left NIB C83 Pesian and without doubts I will put it to use, if I loose my user. I started to realise that life is too short.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I guess I should say, too rare and expensive to cut much with. But that doesn't mean they're not still fully appreciated.
:bug-red-white