My brother rusted S110V Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KevinOubre

My brother rusted S110V Manix

Post by KevinOubre »

So my brother borrowed my S110V for work. He works for Monsanto and I around various chemicals on a daily basis. This is a reason he prefers very high stainless steel. I figured it was an interesting data point considering S110Vs normal corrosion resistance. I may turn this into an experiment to see what specific chemicals do to it.

Molle Ninja

Re: My brother rusted S110V Manix

Post by Molle Ninja »

Another reason to love Monsanto, LOL!

Just kidding.

A little Barkeepers Friend, all good.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've seen spots of rust like that begin pitting underneath. Insure you neutralize whatever acid or base is on the steel after cleaning the rust off. Don't use a cloth used for that on another knife. Some things can be pretty persistent. I've seen that from my days around older rifles that use corrosive ammo.

If it can eat S110V that quickly be careful with it and contain it to the knife you are testing. Good luck and it should be interesting.

Joe
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That is nothing. Just know that stainless doesn't mean "stain free" or "rust free". Flitz will remove that stuff in about 10 seconds. I wouldn't worry about it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That looks very minor...more like rusting on some leftover material deposits on the blade rather than the blade itself, though I could be wrong as all I have to look at are pictures. If your brother works with chemicals all day he should try something from the Salt lineup.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Chemicals? Monsanto? So not cool.

I'll probably get in trouble for that comment, but I don't care.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hope they don't try to charge you royalties for using your Manix now. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Kevin, as a saltwater fisherman, I would be interested to see you do more testing. :D I might be getting one of those s110v Manix this year. If I do, I will definitely do some kayak fishing with it to see how it compares to s30v and other stainless steels in corrosion resistance...as well as edge retention.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Interesting juxtaposition of company ethics...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish the entire industry would stop using the term "stainless". It's a very misleading term, and something more along the lines of "corrosion resistant" would be more suitable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

double tap
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tripple tap :o
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Evil D wrote:I wish the entire industry would stop using the term "stainless".
It is actually a materials term and generally refers to steels which have at least 11-12% free chromium which allows the surface to be passivized by a layer of chromium oxide. Under normal conditions such steels won't stain, hence they are stainless.

It is no different than saying for example that steels are weldable. On a basic level all steels are weldable, what the term generally means is that normal welding leaves the steel in a state which is serviceable without further heat treatment.

What should be done is actually measure it, just ask for the q-fog ratings for example which measure the amount of corrosion resistance of the steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Evil D wrote:I wish the entire industry would stop using the term "stainless".
It is actually a materials term and generally refers to steels which have at least 11-12% free chromium which allows the surface to be passivized by a layer of chromium oxide. Under normal conditions such steels won't stain, hence they are stainless.

It is no different than saying for example that steels are weldable. On a basic level all steels are weldable, what the term generally means is that normal welding leaves the steel in a state which is serviceable without further heat treatment.

What should be done is actually measure it, just ask for the q-fog ratings for example which measure the amount of corrosion resistance of the steel.

Yeah, you and I understand all that, but the VAST majority of society have no idea, and then they throw a fit when their stainless knife rusts. Then they blame the brand, etc etc.

Not saying that's what is happening here with this Manix, I'm just speaking in generalities.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:I hope they don't try to charge you royalties for using your Manix now. :)

Ha you probably aren't legally allowed to resharpen it either!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

What knives/steels does he usually use (Assuming that they don't rust)?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Evil D wrote: Yeah, you and I understand all that, but the VAST majority of society have no idea, and then they throw a fit when their stainless knife rusts. Then they blame the brand, etc etc.
This is why brands which have sensible customer service promote at least two levels, general stainless steel and dishwasher safe stainless steel. Sandvik for example has 12C27M for the latter and promotes it for use in kitchen and salt water work where more corrosion resistance is needed. If you just call it corrosion resistant how does that help someone who wants to buy a knife they can put in the dishwasher? Plus all steels are corrosion resistant so you can put that label on all steels. How would that help anyone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Evil D wrote: Yeah, you and I understand all that, but the VAST majority of society have no idea, and then they throw a fit when their stainless knife rusts. Then they blame the brand, etc etc.
This is why brands which have sensible customer service promote at least two levels, general stainless steel and dishwasher safe stainless steel. Sandvik for example has 12C27M for the latter and promotes it for use in kitchen and salt water work where more corrosion resistance is needed. If you just call it corrosion resistant how does that help someone who wants to buy a knife they can put in the dishwasher? Plus all steels are corrosion resistant so you can put that label on all steels. How would that help anyone.

At some point you can't dumb it down any further. People just need to use some common sense and take care of their tools.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Cliff Stamp wrote:

At some point you can't dumb it down any further. People just need to use some common sense and take care of their tools.
I agreee, but I would not mind having some standardized and simple stainless rating associated with different steels. I don't mind hand washing and drying a kitchen knife for example, but it would be nice to be aware of that necessity at the time of purchase. If there were a simple (say 4 or 5 tier) rating system then it would make it easier for a guy to choose a knife to be used around saltwater. Maybe something like they do with water resistance ratings on waterproof devices. This is not a big issue to me since I hang out around here and have a lot of information at my disposal, but for the average consumer who just wants to buy a knife, they might appreciate knowing what they "stainless rating" is? I don't know...just an idea. "Stainless" is a pretty broad category as currently defined.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's a pretty good idea. I wonder if the steel manufacturer's have this sort of information.

The only problem is something like... Steel A rusts from contact with Vinegar and not from Tomato, Steel B rusts from contact with Tomato and not from Vinegar.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!