Blade show 2015 news thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Blade show 2015 news thread

Post by Surfingringo »

Phil Wilsons Sprig was a really nice looking knife too. Having a couple of his customs I can say that the prototype was a very well crafted representation of his work.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I feel like there may have been more my flavors at Blade then there were at the Amsterdam meet.
These descriptions have me stoked for the upcoming future! :D
Loving what I'm hearing.

Can anyone elaborate more on the Essence?

And wow, gonna be a tough three-way triple trouble trial with the Sage Comp-lock, the PM3, and the Lil Temperance! :) cannot wait.

Anyone who handled the Shaman also own a SuperLeaf? How did it compare in size/proportion and feel?
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got to have a great conversation with Gayle Bradley at the cutting competition. He pulled a custom m4 flipper out of his pocket. Pretty amazing knife. I am not a fan of flippers but this thing is unlike any I have ever handled. He told me he spent a lot of time working with the physics on this one and it showed. Absolutely effortless. Probably the only flipper I've ever handled that I would want to purchase. I'm not sure if this is the same knife that there was some chatter about at the Amsterdam show but we should all hope so, I can tell you that!
Attachments
P1080511.jpg
araneae

Post by araneae »

Some interesting news. Wish I was there, going to try for next year. It's interesting to hear some of the models from 2 Blades ago are still around as protos. Eric had a multi bladed model on him then that he let me check out and asked that I forget that I saw it... seems it has evolved to CF. The Introvert was my favorite back then and I hope we see it soon. A mini para sounds interesting, but the P2 fits me so well, I'm not sure how I'd like a mini.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

BladeHQ Spyderco New Products @ Blade Show 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9m5Gfbw6yA
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Man that nirvana is so nice looking, can't wait to get my hands on that one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

farnorthdan wrote:Man that nirvana is so nice looking, can't wait to get my hands on that one.
I completely agree. I was really surprised how thin it looks too. I bet it will ride nicely in the pocket. With the handle being made of one solid slab of titanium, I wonder if that means blade centering will always be spot on.

The only part that hurt was when Eric said 6 to 9 months.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Liquid Cobra wrote: With the handle being made of one solid slab of titanium, I wonder if that means blade centering will always be spot on.
Not necessarily. I have a Lionsteel SR2 titanium which is a solid piece as well, and the blade centering is a hair off. It will center if I adjust the pivot, but then it's too stiff. So I think it all depends on tolerances and QC (not that Lionsteel's isn't fantastic) and luck of the draw.

Beautiful knife though. Love that texturing.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

PayneTrain wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote: With the handle being made of one solid slab of titanium, I wonder if that means blade centering will always be spot on.
Not necessarily. I have a Lionsteel SR2 titanium which is a solid piece as well, and the blade centering is a hair off. It will center if I adjust the pivot, but then it's too stiff. So I think it all depends on tolerances and QC (not that Lionsteel's isn't fantastic) and luck of the draw.

Beautiful knife though. Love that texturing.
After handling both, I think the tolerances might be a little bit tighter on the Nirvana, so we'll see how it holds up over time. I talked a bit with Sal and he mentioned the challenges of cramming a ball bearing pivot into an integral titanium frame. Pretty amazing knife.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I really enjoyed the show, got to spend some quality time with people that I have been wanting to meet for a long time. :) :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am probably going to get blasted but a lot of these newer designs strike me as almost "fantasy" genre knives and interest me very little. I would love to see Ti milled handles on existing or discontinued models that are more user in style than the sweeping scimitar style blades. Again, not hating but just not my thing. I would prefer an Endura or C3.5 with Ti milling
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Yes, yes, the Shaman soon please! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Did somebody say Shaman? Who is taking pre-orders?
Last edited by bh49 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bh49 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Yes, yes, the Shaman soon please! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Did somebody say Shaman/ Who is taking pre-orders?
No news yet unfortunately Roman :(. It just sounds like a really fantastic combination of features of two of my (and a lot of others ;)) favorite knife models. Hopefully with the expanded Golden facility online, Sal and Eric can have more time to work on great projects like this. Take care, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Nirvana is really groing on me. I was thinking about Mamba and may be Nirvana. Now it is Nirvana and may be Mamba.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

twinboysdad wrote:I am probably going to get blasted but a lot of these newer designs strike me as almost "fantasy" genre knives and interest me very little...
Me too. To be honest I don't like this new trend. Unusual, fancy custom framelock/linerlock designs combined with expensive materials don't seem to support Spyderco's philosophy. Many of them look like toys(Flippers, Dogtag) or display pieces(Mamba, Tighe Stick, Myrtle and many more) to me. In addition most of them are not ambidextrous.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

The nirvana had my attention until i saw how thin the edges of thr inside of the knife are. Looks like it would hurt if you grip it too tight. Im upset we didnt get to see the GB2 in the supplement video bladehq did :(
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Great news, thanks for sharing these updates! I see there are a couple of nice new designs there, that weren't at the Amsterdam Meet.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Has anyone mentioned the Slysz Swayback? That was a REALLY nice knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

senorsquare wrote:Has anyone mentioned the Slysz Swayback? That was a REALLY nice knife.
I read Sal saying that the Slysz SpyderChef was next, Swayback after that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
devine1

Post by devine1 »

A little off topic but, who was the super-enthusiastic foreign guy at the Spyderco booth? I talked to Sal, Eric, and M.Janich but was just curious.