Affordable 4 inch flipper ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Affordable 4 inch flipper ?

Post by Jim Malone »

Is there an affordable 4 inch flipper in the making at :spyder:? I was disappointed when i saw the price of the new Mamba because i really liked the design, but a 500€ + pricetag is ludicrous. Since all flippers are custom collaborations with the high pricetag is wonder if an FRN or G10 affordable knife is in the making?
Liquid Cobra

Re: Affordable 4 inch flipper ?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The southard positron will be a lower price than any of the flippers before it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Positron will be only 3" ... which is ideal for me, but I have small hands.

Gordon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

How affordable is "affordable"?

It may be a good idea, if they haven't considered it yet. The CRKT M16 series has lasted a long time, and many of the variations have been 4" including the one that I have. I think I got it for $60 back in 2003, and it's been a fantastic knife. Spyderco isn't the only company having success with Taiwanese knife makers, that's for sure. Though I think they've moved most of the production to China now, and I don't know how that's faring.

I wouldn't mind seeing Spyderco trying to compete with that line. Kershaw is also flipper-crazed, and very affordable for the most part. If Spyderco did enter that game, it would likely either have to be a whole new design, or they'd just flipperize the value line (Resilience would give you that 4") since I'm pretty sure it's impossible to put a flipper on a back lock which is what most of the less expensive models are (Endura and the like). A flippin' Military would be up there, and I don't expect the flippin' Manix to be that cheap either when that arrives. I'm betting on the G10 version, though even then it will still probably be less than either Southard. But for something under $100, I think you're going to have to look elsewhere.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

PayneTrain wrote: since I'm pretty sure it's impossible to put a flipper on a back lock which is what most of the less expensive models are (Endura and the like).
I thought that too but Dialex recently mentioned the SOG Twitch II with a back lock & flipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... hDM9oAHy-o
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Johnnie1801 wrote: I thought that too but Dialex recently mentioned the SOG Twitch II with a back lock & flipper
Agh. I really gotta stop using words like "impossible". Nice design there, just cut a slot for the flipper to go through. DUH Payne!

Well there you go Spyderco, let's see an Endura flipper! Though I wonder how the action is. Can it flip without spring assistance? Back locks are, from my experience, the hardest to thumb flick, though I guess with less contact due to a slotted lock it may work. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice lock security/service life to accommodate unassisted flipping. Dunno. Interesting topic here, Jim.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

According to the Blade Show thread, a Manix XL size flipper is coming along at some point. Affordable? That remains TBD. If it's a "Manix" that likely means Golden vs Taichung, correct? That may be a good sign! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King