When to go clipless

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: When to go clipless

Post by Jazz »

I'll never remove the clips. I love them. I do, however, drop some in my pocket if the occasion calls for it (NKP territory sometimes). Up to Delica size, though I'll take the larger ones out as soon as I feel comfortable.
- best wishes, Jazz.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Great thread, enjoyed reading all the responses.

Still looking for some more models I can go clippers with.

Interesting idea about the back pocket Southard. Could be handy if someone tries to mug you. "Gimme your wallet or else!" To which you reply "Well sure let me reach back in my pocket real fast and I got just the thing for you."
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Often drop a clip less Delica in my back pocket at work. Clips catch on so many things and a number of guys have lost them pulling up their bunker pants. You don't know it at the time and it kind of works its way down the pant leg .i once lost a Rescue at a fire that was clipped to my coat pocket , pretty sure taking off my scba the waist strap pulled it out.

I love clips gives one many options , but at the same time they cause a lot of lost knives. My first Delica I got in '91 , while hunting I had it clipped to a chest pocket and had a zipper closed up to it as well. Lost that one, my feeling was the sling must have caught on it and launched it .

Really like the feel in my hand with no clip too.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, and I definitely usually go clipped, it was just this one instance where clipless was a revelation. The southard clip just irked me, visually, in hand, in the pocket, so I took it off. And sometimes those impulses work out so I wanted to share.

For you IWB people, I'm not sure how you manage it. I tried it once or twice and couldn't find a comfortable spot.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry my Delicas, Chaparral, Dragonfly, Cat, and Pingo clipless. They drop in my pocket and disappear.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PWork

Post by PWork »

I always go clipless. Both my Dragonfly and Manbug carry well in either the RFP or watch pocket. The Delica I carry in the woods is kept in a pouch on the strap of my bag.
Paul
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Great question!

Dragonfly Nishijin glass fiber handle/zdp189: always clipless, like a gentleman should be. :) (Same went for my Des Horn, which took modification to run clipless...until I sold it.)

Techno: Sometimes clipless. I'll go a month or two at a time with out it, slipping it into coin or regular pockets... then go back to my clip-lovin' ways.

All other Spydies I own: clips!
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I have removed the Clip on my Salt 1 because it rides in my bicycle saddle bag - this saves a tiny amount of weight but most importantly makes the knife really thin, important when trying to pack it alongside spare tubes, duct tape, tire levers, spare lights etc in a relatively tiny bag!

Bruno
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Currently carry my Superleaf clip-less in my boot. Sometimes all I carry in my pocket is a Ladybug so the boot knife, while not necessarily close at hand, assures I'm never "under-knifed". This thread has me seriously considering taking the clip off my Delica though.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Smaller knives and dressy situations, clipless. Bigger knives and work situations, always clipped for access. A Delica clipless just sits in the bottom of my RFP with my keys. I've never lost one doing that for many years now. Stretch, Para2, and Endura are so long they wedge in the pocket when they get sideways, so normally those get clipped.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

All the time. Here in California, folding knives have to be fully concealed to be legal in most circumstances. Pocket clips obviously won't work here.

I remove them from all of my knives.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Molle Ninja wrote:All the time. Here in California, folding knives have to be fully concealed to be legal in most circumstances. Pocket clips obviously won't work here.

But does it bother you to have to carry them this way? Now, I know it might bother you that they've made this law in the first place, but that's not what I mean. Would you rather carry clipped if you had the option, or do you actually prefer clipless, or have you grown to prefer it?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

When I started looking for another knifre to carry clipless in the pocket the Delica was the first knife that came to mind. Looks like maybe I was on the right track. Maybe one in ZDP 189.

Anyone have a side by side picture of a Delica and Dragonfly 2 handy?

harronek

Post by harronek »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:When I started looking for another knifre to carry clipless in the pocket the Delica was the first knife that came to mind. Looks like maybe I was on the right track. Maybe one in ZDP 189.

Ken
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Molle Ninja wrote:All the time. Here in California, folding knives have to be fully concealed to be legal in most circumstances. Pocket clips obviously won't work here.

I'm in California and this is the first I've heard that. It is true in New York, but the rule in California is that fixed blades must NOT be concealed. Clipped folders are fine here and tons of perfectly normal folks carry them without any hassles from LEO's.

It may be true that your town has more restrictive laws, but CA as a whole is pretty mellow except for no concealed fixed blades.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I tend to go clipless at work these days now I'm a full paid up exec-level desk-surfing VP-

Or rather I run non-clipped knives (Jester, Ladybug hawkbill or most often the Roadie) but I always add a lanyard so they are easy to find by feel as they rattle around with my loose change.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

harronek wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:When I started looking for another knifre to carry clipless in the pocket the Delica was the first knife that came to mind. Looks like maybe I was on the right track. Maybe one in ZDP 189.

Ken
Perfect, thanks Ken.

I will PM you my address and you can send em to me.

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I tool the clip off my native.

It's perfect for ultralight pocket carry.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Lost a Tasman Salt/SE once because it snagged out of my pocket during my job of then. Never found it back.
Almost lost a Dragonfly this way.
So when I carry a Spydie I carry it clipless. Don't carry big ones so loose pocket carry is not a problem.
How practical a pocket clip may seem and despite the fact it's one of the things that made Spyderco big, I find them interfer with ergonomics.
Feels so much better in hand without the clip.
And after 5 years of carrying Opinels, SAK's and other traditionals I don't know any better.
hmr170

Post by hmr170 »

Several times now, a clipped Spyderco has been ripped out of my pocket by snagging the clip on something, so I have been carrying them with the clips removed more and more. It's amazing how much better a knife like a Delica feels without a clip.