Jungle Survival Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Jungle Survival Spyderco?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Say you are the lone survivor of a plane crash and you could have any Spyderco knife or knives, more than one even, to help you survive. You are in the middle of, say, a tropical jungle and have to make your way to the coast, and avoid getting eaten by cannibals, ravenous carnivorous beasts, and snakes and the rest. Which would you pick? Caspian Salt? Walter Brend Mamaba? Pacific Salt? Endura? Pingo?
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Jungle Survival Spyderco?

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Temp 2... :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Temp 2... :)
Probably this, or a Schempp Rock.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
npad69

Post by npad69 »

perhaps an h1 warrior for a fixed blade

for a folder, i think i'd go for a tatanka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yep a schempp rock for sure and a spydie saw.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Szabohawk and an Enuff Clip Point. Oh, and a Manbug for the small stuff.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Just one? Schempp Rock, with the Bushcraft as a second choice. Maybe Seratta as a third choice.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Forester. Is there really any other choice? Also my H1 SE Spyderhawk. That knife goes everywhere with me.
BTG

Post by BTG »

npad69 wrote:perhaps an h1 warrior for a fixed blade

for a folder, i think i'd go for a tatanka
I'll 2nd vote these two.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

For a folder there's no contest: Manix XL (probably the classic S30V). For a fixed, probably the warrior given the situation you describe. It has both PE and SE, and I'm not sure how much "bushcrafting" there is to do in a tropical jungle survival situation. I'd also want a doublestuff stone.

For a few models I don't own, I really would love to try a forrester, and I'm sure that would work pretty well at jungle hacking. Another intriguing choice would be the Bradley Bowie, which can be lashed easily to a pole for instant spear action.
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

Schemp rock, bushcraft, and the sage 1. Also a Southard so I could have something to flip to keep me occupied.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I'd go warrior, Manix2, Szabo hawk, doublestuff stone. Any and all of them could prove very useful. Especially the Szabo hawk for fighting.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would take a Bushcraft, Temp2, Bradley Bowie or Schempp Rock and for self defense I would probably be making a spear/staff with the blade for backup.

I hate to say this but I would probably take my Leatherman Wave or Vic Craftsman over any current Spydie. :o Even with self defense in mind I would rather have the extra tools on one of my multitools and just make an improvised weapon in the field.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Folder - Paramilitary 2.
Fixed - Mule.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Related question, I'm glad people brought up the Bush Craft: Based on your experience with it, and from what you can see, are there any ways you would improve on or re design the Bush craft? Like would you use a different blade and handle material, or is it basically at its peak the way it is?

From what I can tell, it seems to be at its best.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If I had to choose from blades I have, I would take Manix2-XL S90V, cruwear Millie, and cruwear Manix2. These would provide redundancy for spear points or in case of loss. Then my D'Allara Rescue for quick slice-sawing of limbs -- these serrations are much quicker than sawing with regular sawteeth. Then my SB Dragonfly for splinters and minor surgery.

In terms of knives I don't own, I would take a Schempp Rock and a Jumpmaster, which has an inch more serrations than the D'Allara and an inch and a half more than the Warrior. Then maybe a Worker or Bradley Air for splinters.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Temperance 1 model, C-44 Dyad and a Jumpmaster. I would feel extremely confident with those three. Well at least from the stainpoint of having enough cutlery hardware. With those three models I feel like I could do anything necessary.

The trouble is you can speculate all you want and you can plan out things in advance>> but in all honesty in a situation like you described you really don't know what you would be up against. Truthfully if I was in that exact situation I would also want a gun, a method of water purification and a device to start fires with. Truly I hope to GOD that doesn't happen.

But yes it is also wise to be prepared for a rough living situation
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Szabo Hawk and Rock Salt. Also someone who runs slower than me that I really don't like.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Rock Salt, Temperance 1 serrated and the original C95 Manix.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Rock Salt, Spydersaw, double stuff and a Proficient. If just one the Rock salt.. A reground Forrester would also do well...